If you're installing car seats and/or playing Car Seat Tetris rage here:

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Ah, I feel much better, lol. Stupid car seats! Why can't I just purchase a car with car seats built in?!?!?

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just take it to your fire dept don't stress yourself...it is hard to do with a protruding belly

May 10th, 2013, 08:59 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm getting frustrated just harping on DH to get it done. I know it's going to be a PITA. I put a carseat in my car for my goddaughter once, and it's hard to get the incline right in my car because the seat kind of angle down toward the seat back, if that makes any sense.

May 10th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I forgot how much I DESPISE infant seats. I totally feel your pain. if it wasn't so ******* heavy I would have hurled it across the room trying to adjust the straps properly after I took the cover off to wash it. and DH is no help because he gets equally if not MORE frustrated than I do

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
May 10th, 2013, 09:19 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Yikes I didn't realize it was so difficult. I better do a trial run soon LOL
May 10th, 2013, 09:43 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I agree with taking it somewhere and having them do it. Here the police station has someone who will install and inspect your seat, and they even give out free seats to those who need them. I'm thinking we'll have them install ours because I get too easily frustrated with that sort of thing.
May 10th, 2013, 09:44 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Im dreading it. So Im not doing it anytime soon. ha.

May 10th, 2013, 09:50 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been very spoiled to our Britax Marathon with the LATCH. I will make DH do it.
May 10th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaV View Post
I'm getting frustrated just harping on DH to get it done. I know it's going to be a PITA. I put a carseat in my car for my goddaughter once, and it's hard to get the incline right in my car because the seat kind of angle down toward the seat back, if that makes any sense.
When we had Alex we bought this hard foam wedge from Summer Infant that worked BEAUTIFULLY. We still have it and consider it an absolute must with car seats. I went to go buy two more and I cannot find it ANYWHERE. It's not even listed in their product listing! Tears actually came to my eyes when I realized we're going to have to go back to rolled up towels.

If anyone is still in the market I cannot say enough good things about Evenflo Symphony 65 e3. It is sooooooo easy to install!

Diono Radians with the lap/shoulder belt, however: AAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUGH!

@Crawmommy: we're still playing around trying to figure out the best way to make all our carseats fit across two cars. Once we have that figured out we will be making an appointment with a carseat tech to confirm proper installation. Hopefully by next weekend we won't have to worry about it anymore *sigh*

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 10th, 2013, 10:30 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am really hoping that we don't have to go the rolled up towel route. I hate feeling like I'm "rigging" it; especially something that will be in my car for so long and is so important to be in right.

May 10th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, and the other issue with the towels is that they compress WAY more than a hard foam wedge. Over time the towel becomes even MORE compressed which means you need to check the install every time you put the baby in and sometimes this mean reinstalling.

I've been told to cut a swim noodle into three, stack them to make a triangle and then tightly duct tape them together. But even that foam isn't firm enough! I tried it and then threw them away without installing because every time that i squeezed the triangle the compression would be so great that the tape would pop off.

Diono makes a foam wedge that looks smaller than the one we have. I might try it but I'm not holding out much hope.

May 10th, 2013, 10:59 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Is thios always an issue?? Jut wondering because I have never had to install one LOL
May 10th, 2013, 12:27 PM
MommaMandaPanda89's Avatar I'm having a Girl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiejo1982 View Post
Is thios always an issue?? Jut wondering because I have never had to install one LOL
what you said exactly!
I remember putting my friends in my truck when we were bringing her newborn home...but i don't remember it being much of an issue...y'all have me worried now haha.
maybe i should pull it out and do a trial run!
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

*Amanda*

May 10th, 2013, 01:04 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We had ours installed at the fire station and they used a pool noodle to get the right incline.
rcjh12 and MommaMandaPanda89 like this.
May 10th, 2013, 01:21 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
^When my sister brought her twins home, the carseat tech at the hospital did the same thing ... used a pool noodle to get the right incline on the seats/bases.
May 10th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I found the Chicco infant seat with the base SUPER duper easy to install, especially with LATCH. I also love my Britax Marathon for the ease of installation. The Radian is a PITA.
May 10th, 2013, 03:02 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We will be playing tetris this weekend to get three carseats in the back of our car. Ugh, pray it works because I don't think we can swing getting a bigger car for a few months!

May 10th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiejo1982 View Post
Your carseat base must be parallel with the ground in order for the seat to be pitched to the desired 45 degree angle (the angle at which your baby's head will rest and not have the head/chin rest on their chest and potentially cut off their air way). What the towel/noodle/wedge does is help lift the base. Many back seats in cars are not flat because having them angled helps make more leg room in the back. But this means the car seat base will not sit flat, hence the prop.

@MommaMandaPanda89: I hope not in the front of your truck!

May 10th, 2013, 08:45 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The Britax seats have bases built in so that the towel/noodle/wedge thing isn't necessary. I just replaced DD's Safety 1st seat in my car with a Britax b/c, as someone else said, I feel like I am rigging it with the towels. (I got an amazing sale on the Britax that I couldn't pass up. I think I am a Britax addict. Is there a support group for that?) Not looking forward to playing tetris putting both seats in the back of my car. I am hoping to be able to put the infant seat in the middle where I have DD now. We actually won't do that until we're leaving the hospital b/c I don't want to move her to the side until I have to. I got her the Advocate with extra side impact protection to keep her safer on the side of the car. When I got back to work, we are going to have to buy a bigger car to replace DH's b/c there is no way 2 seats will go in his stupid little clown car. Ugh. These little joys of motherhood people never mention...

May 11th, 2013, 09:51 AM
MommaMandaPanda89's Avatar I'm having a Girl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
Your carseat base must be parallel with the ground in order for the seat to be pitched to the desired 45 degree angle (the angle at which your baby's head will rest and not have the head/chin rest on their chest and potentially cut off their air way). What the towel/noodle/wedge does is help lift the base. Many back seats in cars are not flat because having them angled helps make more leg room in the back. But this means the car seat base will not sit flat, hence the prop.

@MommaMandaPanda89: I hope not in the front of your truck!
noooo wayyy! I'm no fool
but now thats traded in and i have a car.

*Amanda*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search