Group B Strep Question

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By KellBell2621
  • 1 Post By TeresaMomTo2Boys
  • 2 Post By eshute
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By Steph625

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Super Mommy
So during my first pregnancy I tested positive for GBS, got the antibiotic during delivery, all was well. I figured since i was positive the first time they'd skip the test this time and just automatically give me the antibiotic. But i was told at my last prenatal that they will still be doing the test this time around as well. Of course I googled it when i got home lol and apparently you can test positive during one pregnancy and negative during another, like it can come and go. Anyone have this happen to them? I guess my concern is if it comes back negative and i dont need the antiobiotic it'll return in the meantime and my baby could be affected. I'd rather be safe than sorry and just get the antiobiotic. I dont know, am i worrying over nothing? I haven't even had the test done yet lol
May 13th, 2013, 06:33 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to be honest, this whole Group B Strep thing is kind of a mystery to me. I mean, I've done some research about it, but I just don't understand how you can have it at one point, and not at another. Or how, like you said, you can test negative at 37 weeks and be assured that you won't have it when the baby comes. I have an appointment in an hour and a half, and I will be getting my results. If I get any information that makes sense of it all I'll be sure to share it.

May 13th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Super Mommy
Yeah it's confusing to me too. Thanks, yes let me know how it goes
May 13th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Rochelle
I dunno.. I didn't have it with my first 2 but did with my 3rd. Now with a scheduled c/s I'm not sure they'll even test me for it since the baby wouldn't be passing through the birth canal but I am curious to find out if I have it again.

If you test negative then the doc should know what to do but I think you'd be fine w/o the antibiotics if you test neg. But I'm no doctor. GL!
May 13th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Rochelle
Well, I was researching about my situation and came across this for you:

False Negatives For Strep B

Seems like there are a lot of false negatives so it may make you feel better to go ahead and have the antibiotic regardless of your results. I'm pretty sure the OB will be ok with that.
May 13th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Super Mommy
true, i suppose they know what they're doing lol, i just worry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hearts View Post
Well, I was researching about my situation and came across this for you:

False Negatives For Strep B

Seems like there are a lot of false negatives so it may make you feel better to go ahead and have the antibiotic regardless of your results. I'm pretty sure the OB will be ok with that.
thank you for the info! i have my appt next thursday and i will discuss it with my doc
4hearts likes this.
May 13th, 2013, 08:36 AM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You know my Dr said same thing...I could test positive with one and not another but all older people at work never heard of group b and all their kids are grown with kids of their own. My mom has 4 kids and only tested positive with me
KellBell2621 likes this.

May 13th, 2013, 09:15 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife explained it to me like this: it grows in your intestines, therefore it can make it to the outside of your body with a bowel movement. As women, all that stuff is so close together that it can travel to your vagina and surrounding areas. It's harmless to us, but can cause infections if the baby gets it into it's body during birth. The reason it comes and goes is because it gets cleaned away or our body clears it from the areas it does not need to be. That's why they wait until so close to your due date to do the test. It's also been found that, in general, babies will show signs of an infection before you go home if they HAVE been infected with GBS and the mother hasn't been treated with antibiotics because of a false negative.

That's what the midwife explained to me, not verbatim of course, but as close as I can remember it.
bribugg13 and KellBell2621 like this.

May 13th, 2013, 09:18 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
It changes because you change. Its actually always present. Just the amount and the likely hood of it being transmitted to the baby is low. I have fast labors and would never have enough time for antibiotics. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. My test is tomorrow.
KellBell2621 likes this.

May 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I tested positive with my first child 10 years ago. I got the antibiotics and all was fine. I was supposed to have them with my second. I delivered too quickly and could not get properly treated. The only thing I had to do was wait 48 hours after delivery to be discharged. They needed to check him at 48 hours to be sure that he showed no signs. With this pregnancy I had a urine test at around 10 weeks which was positive. I had to take a course of antibiotics. I am not sure what my doc will do at 36 weeks.
KellBell2621 likes this.

May 13th, 2013, 10:59 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I completely forgot to ask my doctor about it today. Sorry. In fact, I even forgot to ask for the results of my test. I was so concerned about my blood pressure issues that it didn't even cross my mind until I was about half way home. Duh.

May 13th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaV View Post
I completely forgot to ask my doctor about it today. Sorry. In fact, I even forgot to ask for the results of my test. I was so concerned about my blood pressure issues that it didn't even cross my mind until I was about half way home. Duh.
lol that's okay! i've been meaning to ask my own doctor all along about it lol just out of curiousity until last week they said they'd be testing again. darn pregnancy brain!! i'll be sure to ask at my next appt since he'll be doing the actual test.

thank you ladies for all the advice and input!
May 13th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
They way my dr explained it to me that it is always present. She said they test at end of pregnancy to check levels of it because if they are low then they are going to be low when you deliver. I can definitely understand the concern tho.
KellBell2621 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search