Labetalol anyone?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TeresaV
  • 1 Post By eshute
  • 1 Post By Madison.Hailey.Zack

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 05:26 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Midwife called me back just now (I was surprised she called me after hours). I called them this morning to give them my BP readings from the weekend because they were higher than she likes. Now I'm going to be on labetalol 100mg twice a day. I know there are a few ladies that have had some BP issues as well and I know I've seen Labetalol mentioned. Any advice or warnings about it? I've never had to take BP medication before and wondered if anyone had any bad side effects or anything.

Kind of disappointed that I've had such an uneventful and healthy pregnancy thus far, and now at 37 weeks I've got to start taking something. I feel really blessed in a way, though, because my weight really put me at a higher risk for everything from the beginning, so I know it could have been a lot worse. But it still stinks.

May 13th, 2013, 06:48 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been on it since Thursday. I haven't had any major side effects. I was a little nauseous after the first couple doses, but since I haven't noticed anything. It took my BP a few days to come down after being on it, so don't expect your BP to drop after the first dose. I kind of did and was getting frustrated. It is one of the safest BP meds to take during pregnancy, and my doc said it is ok to take while BFing too.

I'm sure your doc already told you these things, but make sure you are drinking tons of water and reducing salt in your diet as much as possible. I lost 4 pounds since Friday...it was all water retention. I no longer have any swelling. Relax as much as possible. We're in the home stretch. Hang in there!
eshute likes this.

May 13th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Teresa, I thought it was you who said you had started the medication. I'm glad to hear that the side effects weren't too bad. I have an appt on thursday so hopefully it'll kick in by then.

I've been really careful about my salt intake since the first high reading a few weeks ago, and honestly my swelling hasn't been bad at all. I also keep an eye on my (TMI) urine color to make sure I'm drinking enough. Maybe I'm just overlooking some stuff though, I'll try harder. I think she's being super cautious because of my family history, my weight, and the fact that we're so late in the game that she said things can happen really quickly.

I'm just glad my BP waited this long to start creeping up and it'll all be over and done with soon!! I guess we're pretty lucky that way.

May 13th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Super Mommy
I've been on 100mg twice daily for about a week now. The first couple doses made me feel really strange and weak, but now I feel fine and my BP readings at home are fine. They were okay before the medicine, I think my anxiety was causing my BP to be higher at the doctor more than anything, but I do have a history.
May 13th, 2013, 07:12 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At today's appointment my BP was 128/30, which is much better than it has been. My doctor said it is still important to be very cautious as it can turn to pre-e at any time. So, even though my BP SEEMS under control, I have to continue acting like it isn't. I'm still on twice a week appointments, and will be until I deliver, which he is still contemplating inducing me at 39 weeks. If my BP is under control at that time, I will refuse the induction, though (I think). I say that now, but I am so over sitting around and being out of work that I may give in, given the opportunity. I hope the meds kick in for you quickly!

May 14th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Thanks ladies! I think the last straw was that at home on Sunday, my BP was 148/100. I'd rather be safe than sorry, for sure, and I haven't had any protein and my blood work on friday came back great, so hopefully it's just PIH for all of us! I took my first pill last night and felt fine, but we'll see how I feel when I take it this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed that all of our BP's stay under control and babies can bake as long as they want to!
TeresaV likes this.

May 14th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I've never been on it while pg but I was put on it for 6 weeks after I had my oldest because my bp shot up after I had her. My bp hit 150/100 at 37 weeks out of nowhere with my youngest.
eshute likes this.

May 14th, 2013, 10:19 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I have never been on it either. Hugs hun!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search