BF'ing mamas...question for you

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Kyla0709

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2013, 08:22 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't BF Aidan, I went straight to bottle feeding. Reason doesn't matter...anyways, I am going to ATTEMPT to BF Trey but I hate to purchase a bunch of storage bags, BF bottles, nursing pads, etc if it does not work. We already have a few bottles and I have a huge box of nursing pads and my insurance will be sending me a breast pump after delivery but I won't get it for at least 1-2 weeks after delivery. Also Enfamil sent me 2 sample containers of formula plus coupons I got in mail yesterday.

What do you think? Should I buy these items now or wait? I am going to try the entire time I am in the hospital and if he just doesn't latch, I won't force it and I will just bottle feed.

May 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Super Mommy
I would buy a couple storage bags, but really exclusively BFing the first few weeks is really the best way to establish a good supply. Plus you'll be very discouraged when you pump at first, you just don't get very much at all and it'll make you feel like giving up right away. Also, if he doesn't latch well at first, insist on having a consult with a lactation consultant. They really know their stuff. And if it goes well in the hospital but you start getting discouraged at home, call your local WIC clinic, they are very pro-breastfeeding and will hook you up with someone asap. It's takes some perseverance with some nursing relationships, but you can do it!
4hearts, bribugg13 and eshute like this.
May 14th, 2013, 08:31 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
well i don't plan on pumping or using the storage bags for a few weeks....at least so DH can have some bonding feeding time but also so I can get used to it before going back to work (I only get 6-9 weeks maternity leave) and I think DH said he is taking 1-2 weeks but it is unpaid and we need his paycheck as I only get 40% of my pay through short term disability plus on insurance. But the point being is if it doesn't work out at home or in hospital I didn't want all that supply of BF'ing stuff and have to return or try to sell it myself

May 14th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you plan on letting DH bottle feed your baby at any time you should be prepared to pump at the same time. Every feeding you miss (especially in the first few weeks) will negatively impact your potential supply. You can minimize this negative effect by pumping when your baby is bottle feeding so that you stay on the same schedule and your breasts are getting the same demand. You won't pump more than a few drops (1/2 and ounce at most, maybe) but it will help. If you plan on letting DH bottle feed your pumped milk just be prepared that you probably won't pump enough at any one session to get a full feeding. It may take you 3 days to get one bottle in the beginning.

That said, if you don't worry about any kind of bottle feeding for at least 3-4 weeks (pumping included) then you won't need to buy any storage stuff. I highly recommend not worrying about pumping at all until about 4 weeks PP. It's too stressful.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 14th, 2013, 09:00 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I exclusively pumped from the get go with my son because of latching issues and was pumping 2-4 ounces on day three at the hospital. Apparantly that's not the norm?

At morning pumpings once I was fully established about 4 weeks in I was pumping almost 14-16 ounces just in my morning pumping session, I had to always change the bottles out. Now I'm paranoid that it won't be the same this time around if I can't breastfeed again.

There is always time to run out and get the stuff afterwards if need be. You will not need any of the supplies aside from maybe some breast pads (which are cheap anyway) before you start to pump. Does your hospital send you home with any formula? Even breastfed babies at my hospital are sent home with a carepackage of about 8 2 ounce bottles of ready feed formula.

May 14th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You're very lucky! Most women don't respond to the pump that well! You'll probably do just as well this time.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 15th, 2013, 07:22 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you asked this. I had the same question!

May 15th, 2013, 10:02 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
MerinSun, great advice.. Also not being positive about it working out, well causes problems too..

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

May 16th, 2013, 04:11 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would also say to focus on breastfeeding for the first few weeks.

My dd had a hard time latching, she didn't even latch for like 24 hours after birth. Then, it would take like 3 people to help me to get her latched. It was very hard, when I got home everytime I fed her, dh and I would have to try to get her latched correctly for like 20 minutes. I was very stressed out but I kept in close contact with the lactation consultant and went to see her after I went home. I just kept pushing though and I am so glad I did because close to 6 weeks it clicked and it was suddenly the easiest thing ever. I nursed her until she was almost 2 years old. I would recommend just sticking through the beginning for a while because in my experience it was so so hard but then so so easy and worth it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search