Your experience with piercing your little girls ears

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By beatlechicksteph
  • 1 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By TeresaV
  • 6 Post By SassySami
  • 1 Post By zombiemommy
  • 1 Post By amyswor

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I've been wondering when is the right time to pierce baby girls ears?, I really wanna do it when she's really small before she starts pulling on her ears. Do pediatricians pierce ears? At what age did you do your little girls ears?

May 15th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any little girls, but my mom let all three of us (me and my two sisters) get ours pierced at 3. We wanted our ears pierced, she blackmailed us with potty training: "You want to get your ears pierced? You need to be potty trained." Don't know if that helps My friend has a 6 month old, and she got her ears pierced REALLY early. I want to say 3 months?
Gen88 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
May 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wanted it done hen dd was little however dh said no she needs to be able to decide by herself if she wants them or not. So last fall dd told us he wanted it done. We got it done got the expensive earrings to try and prevent any irritation. That didnt work after a month or so the same ear Infected 2 times she wanted it out. We told her if she didnt let us put it back in after it got better which ended up being a few days then she had to take the other one out for good. She said ok and now doesn't have earrings.
So...I would say do it n they are really young or n they can take care of them on their own like 13 or so.
Gen88 likes this.

May 15th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlechicksteph View Post
I don't have any little girls, but my mom let all three of us (me and my two sisters) get ours pierced at 3. We wanted our ears pierced, she blackmailed us with potty training: "You want to get your ears pierced? You need to be potty trained." Don't know if that helps My friend has a 6 month old, and she got her ears pierced REALLY early. I want to say 3 months?
I got mine pierced at the hospital, where I'm from and back then they used to do it at the hospital right after baby was born, I would like to do it when she's a couple weeks old, that way she won't even know what's happening and won't be able to pull on her ears, I see it like circumsicion lol. The younger the better. We did DS circumsicion when he was a week old.

May 15th, 2013, 03:31 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I know most places won't pierce them until the baby is 2 months old. We did our daughters at almost 1. She never wears earrings now.

May 15th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Super Mommy
I don't have a daughter, but my youngest niece was living here when she got hers pierced, I think she was 2 months old? It went pretty well. If you want it done I'd say find somewhere that would do it right away so yeah, she's not pulling on them while they're healing. Personally, I would rather wait until she's older, maybe 10 or so. I got mine done when I was 6 or so, my mom did them with a gun but got cheap jewelry. That's how I first found out I have a terrible nickle allergy, lol! To this day I can only wear sterling silver, my piercings are surgical steel. I also have to paint the back of my pants buttons with nail polish or those will give me a rash, too.
May 15th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got DD's done at 2 months (most places won't do it any earlier because they want them to have gotten shots already) and we've never had an infection or any kind of problems and she begs to have earrings in all the time.

#1, 4, 5, 7
May 15th, 2013, 05:19 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We had Lily's done when she was 3. We waited until she asked for them, and even then we tried to scare her into not getting it done. One of her friends had earrings and she persisted, so we did it. At 3 she was a good enough listener when we told her not to touch them. We had them pierced in 14k gold and even 2 years later we rarely change them. I have a nickel allergy and Lily has sensitive skin so I am picky about what goes in her ears. Abri has issues with people touching her ears (multiple ear infections and a set of tubes last year will do that I guess), so we are waiting a while before we even try it with her.
May 15th, 2013, 05:41 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We waited until our daughter wanted them pierced. One day when she was 4 she started begging for them. I told her all about it, made her watch a video on how to care for them, and then brought her to get them pierced. She is usually a huge worrier but she didn't even cry, she was very tough and must have wanted them very badly!

She is very responsible about things like this, would always remind me that they needed to be cleaned. I had to convince her it was okay to stop cleaning them with the solution, lol. We took care of them exactly how it was suggested and cleaned and twisted them religiously and we never had any problems.

She has a huge collection of earrings (the sensitive ear ones) and she loves to have me change them. It has been a very positive experience having her be old enough to want them done and getting them done as a "girls day out". I plan to do the same thing with her new little sister.

May 15th, 2013, 05:53 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't pierce my daughter's ears until she is old enough to want them herself. Just my personal feeling on the matter. I think I was 5 or 6 when I got mine done.
hilachu likes this.

May 15th, 2013, 07:29 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We won't get DDs done until she's 7. I had wanted to get them done when she was older but DH was very adamant about it being her decision on whether or not she wanted them and he felt that 7 was the age where she would be old enough to care for them. Which I was OK with cause that's when I had mine done. And I remember it being real special cause I was old enough to remember it and I got to choose what I wanted and it seemed so cool being able to go on my bday. So that's what we will do. My friend did the same with all her daughters except the age she chose was 10.

May 15th, 2013, 07:45 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't get Jaleigh's done until she was old enough to want them. She asked a few times when she was 3 or 4 but always changed her mind at the last minute. She finally decided to go through with it around Christmas this year. She was 5.

It's just my personal preference to wait. That's how it is always done in my family. I don't think me or any of my sisters had ours done before we were 5 or 6 years old. Some of us were even older.

May 15th, 2013, 09:47 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
No ear piercing here, tell my girls asked for them. They were 4 when they did. I view it as their body, their choice.

If you decided to get them done, go to a piercer and not some walmart place. The guns can cause a lot of damage. You want a hollow needle to be used instead.
Urchin, hilachu, TeresaV and 3 others like this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

May 15th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your input ladies, I have lots to think about

May 16th, 2013, 04:25 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
We're also going to wait until she's older and can ask for them and care for them herself. Like Karry said, we want it to be special, for a birthday - but we don't have any specific age in mind yet...maybe 10, when she turns "double digits" lol or something like that!

May 16th, 2013, 05:14 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
We got dd's done around three, when she asked for them. Had absolutely no problems with cleaning or anything until a few weeks ago when the MIL went out and bought her cheap new earrings and took it upon herself to put them in, after I have asked and reminded her repeatedly not to change them. Within a few hours both of dd's little lobes were swollen and when I took the earrings out they bled and they were sore for about two weeks. We still haven't tried to put anything back in them. Me and the mil had some words after that.
sunnydaze likes this.
June 6th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Regular
I did my first daughter after asking my ped at six months and the second girl at six weeks. Earlier turns out easier for mommy and baby if want her ears pierced. I remember getting mine done when I was three and it wasn't a positive experience.

Learning from that situation told me that I didn't want my girls facing the same thing. Doing it as an infant, they will grow up earrings thinking it is a part of them.

My two girls never played nor messed with them. They are now 3 an 4 yrs old and proud of showing their earrings to their friends. Almost all the other little girls wish their moms had done theirs as an infant. They are now struggling with what I faced at their age, i.e., the angst and fear of getting their ears pierced.

What is the right age? Well, to each their own. I don't think there is any wrong answer. Everyone has there own traditions or rules. I also think if you wait for a child to want it or be responsible it could be at different ages. Since every child develops at different ages.

After receiving some info from our ped where to have it done, type of earrings to choose and OTC meds to minimize any discomfort, I followed her tips and it was a good experience for all of my girls.

Any moms wanting some info or on the fence, "...to pierce or not to pierce," then drop me an e-mail and I will send our ped's tips to you.
Gen88 likes this.
June 7th, 2013, 08:03 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
We did not pierce my daughter's ears until she was 10. Now I see why you would do it as a baby... she was so freaked out and wanted to do it so bad, but was so scared. she cried the whole time and I basically had to hold her down. Also, we had to go back after the first attempt because she completely chickened out the first time around. But, even with this experience, we will be waiting to pierce our new baby's ears until she is old enough to ask for it.

June 7th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ill be doing lilah's as an infant (not me, a professional) because I remember getting mine done as a child and it was a traumatic event, I had to get one ear done, go back in a week to get the other side done.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search