Another Question...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I now have free time to worry about things since I stopped working.

How important is a birth center tour, class or breastfeeding class?

I just called our hospital and everything is full until well after our 40 week due date. Babies aren't making it that long so what should I do now?

I wasn't intending on a birthing class but a tour would have been nice.

The breastfeeding class I was unsure of since I have heard hit and miss things about the LCs at that hospital.
May 16th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Super Mommy
I didn't take a tour with my first, and it wasn't a do or die kind of thing. I did with my second, because I had a lot of questions. This time I am because again, I have a lot of questions to ask and I'd like to get a layout of this hospital and gauge the care the nurses give before I actually have to stay there. It's not incredibly important, but it does help a little bit. Maybe you could call and say there's no way you can make the next available date, is there any way they could squeeze you in? Mention you're having twins and such. If they can't, most hospital's websites have virtual tours, at least of the delivery/postpartum rooms. And I'm sure you can call a nurse at the hospital to ask any questions if you have any.
May 16th, 2013, 09:26 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had the same problem. It was part procrastination, and part the hospital not updating their website. The hospital's website had all sorts of dates listed for tours. I called to register, and the 3 or 4 dates that fell before my due date were full, but the website hadn't been updated to reflect that. I didn't plan on doing a birthing class. I'm confident my body will know what to do when the time comes. Besides, more often than not, the feedback I hear is that the techniques taught in birthing classes is completely disregarded during labor. I am kind of bummed about not getting a tour, but it's not the end of the world. DH and I both know where the hospital is.

May 16th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Super Mommy
With m first DD I knew I was having a scheduled c/s but deceided to take a birthing class in hopes that a c/s birth would be discussed (what to expect etc) but they didn't even mention a single thing about c/s births so for me I literally got nothing out of the birthing class..

Last edited by Karenna; May 16th, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
May 16th, 2013, 11:14 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenna View Post
With m first DD I knew I was having a scheduled c/s but deceided to take a birthing class in hopes that a c/s birth would be discussed (what to expect etc) but they didn't even mention a single thing about c/s births so for me I literally got nothing out of the birthing class..
Ooh I would have been ticked. Those classes aren't cheap!

May 16th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Super Mommy
Teresa-I was soooooooooooooo ticked LOL! I went in hoping that they would give information about both kinds of delivery or at least mention what to expect before, during and after c/s birth and literally not one word was mentioned about it..I left the class just as clueless as I was when I went in LOL!
May 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yea. I just hadn't called because everyone said they offer them twice a week and we should be fine. The website wasn't updated with the classes I looked in March and the tours weren't listed either.

I'm just not going to worry about it and I will meet with someone from the La Leache League if I need to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search