A little rant about my doctor... grr...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By Karenna
  • 2 Post By zkat
  • 2 Post By crawmommy
  • 2 Post By MrsLat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2013, 11:38 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I went back to Labor and Delivery last night. Contractions resumed, so I went back in for another morphine injection to see if they would stop them. Contracting every 5-6 minutes but not too intense. They check my cervix, I am a stretchy 2cm and effaced all the way down to my cerclage stitch. (So basically that is what is holding everything from dialating at this point.

I am a little upset because he just wants to keep doing these shots as long as they work until my c-section date. I know its what is best for the baby. It is just so hard because the shots make me sleep for like 12 hours and I am groggy and unsteady and can barely take care of my other children long after they wear off. Even sitting here its been 14 hours almost and I still feel drugged.

They are affecting me so strongly and if I get a shot, go home and it doesn't work, I am supposed to come in and they will do the c-section then. So if that happens, I am going to be SO OUT OF IT for my c-section. I seriously will probably not remember much of it and that will be pretty heartbreaking.

That and he always leaves by telling me to return if I start bleeding and have horrible pain. That means my cervix has been ripped by the cerclage. Umm... I really don't want that to happen. It could impact my chance for one more baby.

Sorry just had to rant. It seems like the shots do work temporarily. This baby can't make up his mind. He is just as indecisive as his mama

So here is to probably a miserable and drugged up couple weeks until my c-section on June 2nd.

May 16th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Super Mommy
OMG I am so sorry that your going through this. I have been thinking about ya and wondering how you are doing. This baby is DEFINATLY a gemini LOL! Geminis have a hard time making up their mind and I should know because I am one LOL! (my birthday is the day after my scheduled c/s on June 3rd) Im surprised that the doc wants you to wait everything out and keep taking the shots for another few weeks I would make an appointment with him and express to him that its making it hard for you to care for your other children, and that you want to remember the c/s when the time comes..Maybe since you are SO close to full term he might change his mind in letting you go another few weeks and deliver you sooner?
May 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this!

I agree that you are so close to full term that you should express your concerns about how hard it is making things for you. You being stressed over things like that aren't good for the baby either.

I hope you feel better soon!
May 16th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Super Mommy
That's very scary it can actually rip open your cervix! I would definitely tell him about your concerns.
May 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How frustrating! It really sucks because you want to bake baby as long as you can, but at the same time it's really hard because it makes you so groggy and uncomfortable! Hoping for some longer term results from the shots - hopefully you won't need them the whole time and hopefully your cervix stays intact.

Wishing you the best!!

May 16th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks for listening to me I will probably speak up more when I am full term and if it keeps happening. I am just really timid and shy and its hard because I don't want to sound like I don't want whats best for Grayson, KWIM? It is frustrating when they say, "its best for the baby to do this..." even when it makes me feel really uncomfortable because I feel like a B or a bad mom if I bring up concerns about it.

Sigh... we just need to start having some babies around here so I have something to keep my mind preoccupied while I wait, lol

Karen-- I am a Gemini also, my b-day is May 27th
Karenna likes this.

May 16th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Super Mommy
How cool that your a gemini too! Don't worry about speaking up to the doctors, they know that its really hard at this point and that your very uncomfortable.. It might be good for the baby but it might not be whats best for YOU to go another few weeks..hopefully they keep that in mind also..
MrsLat likes this.
May 16th, 2013, 02:36 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are 2 days away from being full term. (and 2 weeks ahead of me) My dr. told me if I go into labor on my own from here forward, we do a c-section. She won't recommend stopping it.

Maybe you can schedule an appointment and express your concerns. It is not like you are 30 or 32 weeks, you are almost 37. I am actually surprised they are stopping.

Kat.
mommyandwife08 and Karenna like this.
May 16th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 View Post
Thanks for listening to me I will probably speak up more when I am full term and if it keeps happening. I am just really timid and shy and its hard because I don't want to sound like I don't want whats best for Grayson, KWIM? It is frustrating when they say, "its best for the baby to do this..." even when it makes me feel really uncomfortable because I feel like a B or a bad mom if I bring up concerns about it.

Sigh... we just need to start having some babies around here so I have something to keep my mind preoccupied while I wait, lol

Karen-- I am a Gemini also, my b-day is May 27th
I am also a Gemini May 26th!!
MrsLat and Karenna like this.

May 16th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
You are 2 days away from being full term. (and 2 weeks ahead of me) My dr. told me if I go into labor on my own from here forward, we do a c-section. She won't recommend stopping it.

Maybe you can schedule an appointment and express your concerns. It is not like you are 30 or 32 weeks, you are almost 37. I am actually surprised they are stopping.

Kat.
I am surprised too! I think that is kinda why it is irritating me a little. He told me that as well at my 35 week appt. I also don't like the thought of all the morphine shots and what they are doing to Grayson? They said that he could have some trouble clearing his lungs after the c-section at this point still, but I am concerned about him clearing his lungs if he has a bunch of morphine in his system also... I have always trusted my doctor completely but this is shaking my faith in him a little bit.

I have my 37 week appointment on Monday. I am going to bring DH with me. I am better about speaking up about what is on my mind when I am not alone. Otherwise I feel like I get bullied into decisions when I am alone.
zkat and Karenna like this.

May 16th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Super Mommy
I know how you feel, I can be the same way. But I have told myself that just because a doctor has a degree, they don't always know precisely what's going on. I don't know if morphine is habit forming? If that's the case, Grayson could have trouble with dependency when he's born, which for me, would be more concerning then him being born now. You really gotta stand up for yourself in the health care system, doctors rely on you just going along with what they tell you is best. Question everything you think might not be right, always, always, always trust your instincts and if you EVER feel like you're bullied into something, don't keep quiet.
May 16th, 2013, 04:53 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope things improve for you! That much morphine to the baby would concern me. If it were me that close to term, I would say snip that stitch and let what happens happen. A ripped cervix sounds like the worst thing I've ever heard. Yikes. I'll be praying for you. And def stand up for yourself. You can do it!

May 16th, 2013, 05:20 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I think it's a good idea DH comes with you for your next appointment. You really need a better game plan than to pump you full of morphine or wait for the worst possible outcome before action is taken. One of my friends has delivered 2 of her 3 kids before 37 weeks (all healthy). Her doc says that she's just equipped with a convection oven that bake babies faster than most.
May 16th, 2013, 05:37 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It seems that being so close to full term that injecting you with drugs and risking a ripped cervix is a bigger risk than just letting things happen naturally. I'm not a doctor of course, but my common sense is telling me that this just doesn't seem right. If you were 32 weeks, okay, I get that. But 36+? Eh. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope that your doctor is making the right decisions.

May 16th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, the morphine is what concerns me, too. When I hit 37 weeks my midwife said "From here on out it's a waiting game!" So, if I went into labor that night they'd do nothing to stop it. You're only a couple days away from that point as well. While waiting until 40 weeks is the ideal not all term babies make it there. Your baby just may well be ready now.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 16th, 2013, 07:59 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't get why they are gonna keep injecting you. That's ridiculous. You are so close to term it would be much safer to get a steroid shot than to keep injecting you with morphine which personally if I was as far along as you knowing full well baby is far enough along to be fine I'd tell the Dr where he could shove his extremely dangerous addictive drugs. I mean come on Rebecca had Jocelyn at 34w4d and that lil one was 5 pounds 14 oz. You are 2 weeks past that. Grayson would be fine if born now.
Also I'd be like take this cerclage out before I rip you jerk! Even my aunt has told me if my lil man comes any time after 36 weeks he would be fine and would probably go home right away.

May 17th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh geez. I wish I had advice or something encouraging and positive to say. Just know you are in my thoughts and I'll be praying for ya!
May 17th, 2013, 09:11 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
That doesnt sound like the best idea, are they not concerned about the stitch ripping your cervix? I know most people who have one its removed at 36/37 weeks or so. So I am not sure what is going on. That would scare me. Huge hugs hun! Thinking of you!

May 17th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
That doesnt sound like the best idea, are they not concerned about the stitch ripping your cervix? I know most people who have one its removed at 36/37 weeks or so. So I am not sure what is going on. That would scare me. Huge hugs hun! Thinking of you!
Yeah, that is what they usually do. He just keeps saying, "well its holding." And as long as its holding he just wants to take it out during my c-section since I am already numb. How we will know its not holding anymore is the bleeding I had one taken out with the twins before I was numb and yeah.. it hurt.. but at this point, I just want it out. I am going to ask to have it removed when I go in for my appointment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search