Update - big baby, funny shaped pelvis, awesome OB, and more!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TeresaV

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2013, 09:10 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
Jumping on the update post wagon...

I am 37 weeks tomorrow OMG! At my 32 week ultrasound baby was measuring quite a bit ahead (almost 5 lbs!) so my OB wanted to do a growth scan at 37 weeks to check her size and discuss birthing options. I have an amazing OB who is a skilled surgeon but is very supportive of natural childbirth. Still, I've been worried baby would get too big and I'd have to have a c-section. We had an appointment yesterday for the scan. Baby is measuring 8 lbs already, so big but not freakishly so. She is perfect in every way in terms of health and I have very good fluid levels. Placenta looks great. The other issue is that in checking my cervix (nothing happening there!) my doc felt around and determined that I have a platypelloid shaped pelvis. This is apparently pretty rare (about 3% of women have it) and it means that instead of a nice round pelvic inlet mine is more of a shallow oval (wider than it is deep). It makes vaginal birth pretty challenging most of the time, impossible for some. This was pretty crushing as it means I have a high risk of a section and always will with subsequent pregnancies. My doc and DF and I discussed options, and my doc basically said "you never know until you try - I've seen some women have successful vaginal births that I thought would be very challenging and our bodies can do amazing things. There's no danger in allowing you to try a natural birth as long as you and baby continue to do so well and I fully support you trying if that's what you want. If you feel like it's the best option to go for the c-section we can talk about that too. We can also discuss inducing you at 39 weeks before baby gets bigger to improve your chances, but honestly I feel like our bodies do much better when they are allowed to do what they do naturally rather than having us interfere. This is all about your concerns and feelings, though, so talk to me about what you want and feel comfortable with."

I love my OB! We came up with a plan - I'm going to try my hardest for a natural birth and I don't want to induce. At 39 weeks we'll sweep my membranes and I'll probably try some EPO and stuff just for the heck of it, but we won't do pitocin or anything. If I end up needing a c-section so be it - all I care about is that baby is healthy and we both make it through okay. At least I'll know I tried my hardest! And at least I know I have an OB who is supportive and honest and willing to let me decide how to proceed.

The other sucky thing is that I am positive for GBS, so I won't be able to stay at home and labor for as long as I wanted and if my water breaks I have to go in to L&D right away for antibiotics. But again, so long as we both make it through healthy and whole I can live with it.

So that's my long update. Hope you ladies are all feeling as well as we can at this point!

May 17th, 2013, 09:24 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so glad that your OB is supportive of you trying. I will pray that you get the opportunity to have a vaginal birth. As a c-section mama myself, I can tell you that while not ideal, you are right... however gets your baby here healthy and happy... that is all that matters. Thanks for the update! You are getting close!

May 17th, 2013, 09:29 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
Thanks! I hope it didn't seem at all like I'm bashing c-sections, I just personally really want to at least attempt a natural birth. My OB is so awesome, I'm really glad she's supportive as well. I at least feel like if she says to me "we need to do a c-section" I can trust it's really for the right reasons.

May 17th, 2013, 09:34 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely didn't think you bashed them at all . A vaginal birth should definitely be the goal if you can! Glad you get the chance to try!

May 17th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Mommy to Be
My next appointment we will be discussing birthing option as well, the baby measures big so I have an appt the 29th and then I'll have the ultrasound to determine the size but I just hope he is as supportive as your doctor and will allow me to try instead of automatically forcin me into a csection. I will be 37 weeks at that appointment

May 17th, 2013, 11:34 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We need more OBs like this!! Huge hugs Hun!

May 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an awesome OB! My OB wants to induce before 40 weeks because of the size of the baby (she's measuring almost 2 weeks ahead and about 8lbs as of this past thursday), but it's more so because of my blood pressure. I'm so glad they're not going to push you into a c-section and you get to try for a vaginal birth!

May 18th, 2013, 01:47 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like the perfect OB. My doc is inducing me at 39 weeks due to bP issues, and was honest when he said that my risk of c-section increases, especially because I have no cervix progress at this point. I would be jumping up and down if my OB had a similar attitude as yours.
eshute likes this.

May 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Super Mommy
What an awesome doctor! I wish more of them were like that. Being induced isn't a terrible thing, it worked twice for me, and will probably work well again this time if they want to do it. Honestly, after having wanted a natural birth since being pregnant with my first, and potentially never being able to have one, due to high BP in the third tri, I have realized it's most important that we both come out of it healthy. I read something yesterday that really resonated with me. "You can prepare for a birth, but you can't really plan it"
May 19th, 2013, 08:37 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm glad your OB is supportive of giving vaginal birth a shot!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search