My first set of breast feeding questions!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By Kyla0709
  • 1 Post By eshute
  • 1 Post By rcjh12
  • 1 Post By D&K's_mama
  • 1 Post By MerinSun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2013, 12:08 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh believe me, there will be more

So I starting a list of stuff to buy. I know... sort of procrastinating on this! I bought some nursing pads and bras yesterday...

Questions:

Is there a specific nipple cream you recommend? Just lanolin or should I get something else?

Should I buy a breast pump now or wait a few weeks?

Also is there anything that you would recommend I have on hand to get started?
eshute likes this.

May 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Super Mommy
Lansinoh is a good one, just anything that's straight lanolin is good.

You can buy a breast pump now if you want, I wouldn't use it right off the bat though, establishing a supply before you use it is better, maybe wait a couple weeks to use it? And personally, being a full time mom, I wouldn't spend the money on an electric pump, the manual one always worked well for me. I only used it when we had a night out for 1) pumping some milk for my babysitter and 2) pumping out any alcohol I may have consumed. Otherwise I just nursed on demand.

I would recommend getting at least one sleep nursing bra, basically just to hold pads in place so you don't leak all over the bed.

If you're more conservative, or private I would get a nursing wrap. Blankets work okay but I loved having a nursing wrap simply because the neck strap ensures it doesn't constantly fall off.
MrsLat likes this.
May 18th, 2013, 01:00 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad someone else is asking questions. I've got Lansinoh cream and pads (walmart had a deal on them online) and I ordered 1 nursing bra since I normally just wear sports bras and I think they'll be fine and they're comfortable and stretchy enough that I can take down one side.

My biggest question is if I need to get bottles or milk storage bags right now? I was so excited when I spoke with my insurance company and found out that they will supply me with a breast pump and I don't even have to wait til the baby gets here to get it. Double electric and everything I don't plan on pumping until at least 2 weeks after she's here, but I'm just not sure if I should have these things on hand for some reason.
MrsLat likes this.

May 18th, 2013, 02:55 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I've always just used lansinoh/lanolin.

I've already ordered my breast pump through my insurance, because they won't actually ship until after I have the baby. I figured this way, with as long as they take for other things it should be here by the time I'm ready to start pumping. I have picked up some bags already, too just because I'm kind of an impulse buyer and they were on sale
MrsLat likes this.
May 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Def have lansinoh or e en the medela nipple cream is good too!

Also I highly recommend a nursing cover if you plan to nurse in public! I used mine all the time with dd!
Also I always liked wearing shirts that made it easy access ..like tanks or low cut shirts if u aren't comfortable wlraising your shirt..I never had much luck finding any nursing shirts that I liked ...
MrsLat likes this.

May 18th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I 100% agree about the lanolin. Once we resolved Alex's clamping issue and my nipples healed I rarely needed lanolin. Sometimes for after pumping a bunch. It's pricey but a little bit goes a long way. You'll use much more in the beginning. Or none at all.

I wouldn't worry about getting a pump right now but if you want to then there's no reason not to. At least you know it's there in case you want it.

For breastfeeding:

*Because you have other children I highly recommend in getting a comfortable carrier that you can nurse in. There are a ton of options. When you nurse in a carrier you're also being more discreet but it's not as cumbersome as a blanket. I really wish I had one with Alex. I had a sleepy wrap but it was too thick to take outdoors. It was wonderful inside, though. WONDERFUL.
*A good boppy. I have a regular boppy but while it's nice to use in many chairs I found it SUCKED when using it in bed. No matter how i sat it would slide down and away from me. There are boppys that have a strap that go around you to keep it in place. I'm going to sew some straps onto mine.
*Keep your tablet/phone charger next to your nursing chair for at night feedings or feedings that you won't have to go a lot of up/down with your other kids. I'm stocking up on books now. You can also download an app that will track the feedings, record what side you last fed on, and when you're due to feed again. For the first two weeks that'll be nice as you're slowly descending into nutsoland. But once you relax with it and work off of the baby's cues and your breasts calm down you won't need the reminders ("Baby's crying. It's feeding time! My right breast is bigger than my left! Better feed from that side first." and so on).
MrsLat likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 18th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Great info.. it really helps a bunch. I love the idea of having a tablet by the nursing chair, thanks for that. I was planning to get a nursing cover. I already have a boppy but its just a regular one so we will have to see if it is gonna work or not.

A carrier is definitely something I guess I will need to do some research on and look into in the next couple of days. I hadn't even thought of that.

May 18th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Are you handy with a sewing machine? You can make your own ring sling or wrap for not much money.

Something to be aware of, too, when using a nursing cover: When the baby gets older they'll see the cover as a toy and/or game and they'll grab it and start flapping it around. It was at that point i ditched the cover and braved the stares. If you really want to use the cover for a long time I highly recommend that you invest in some large and colorful beaded necklaces. There are websites that make necklaces specifically for nursing but as long as you check to make sure the beads don't have a toxic coating, won't chip/break, and the cord won't snap under stress then you're good to go .

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 18th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Rochelle
Is there a specific nipple cream you recommend? Just lanolin or should I get something else? Lansinoh, though I only used mine for a week or two before my nipples stopped being raw. A good latch is what it takes. Put as much of that areola in his mouth as you can, don't let him suck on the nipple whatever you do.

Should I buy a breast pump now or wait a few weeks? Sure, why not? You could have it on hand and maybe keep it in the box with a receipt if you think you may change your mind about it. The thing I LOVE about pumps is when you are going somewhere and you are being driven, you can sit in the car under a blanket and use the car cig lighter port or a power convertor to power your pump so you can pump a fresh bottle out and feed baby while you're riding in the car bc that way you get him topped off before you go into a store, restaurant or whatever and they will be happier in there and you won't have to stop to NIP if you're wanting the errand over quickly. They would probably sleep if they're full of milk before getting there. Anyways, that's how it's been for me. I love a double electric pump personally. It pulls the most milk out of me to have them both stimulated at the same time. I could never get the hang of manual.

Also is there anything that you would recommend I have on hand to get started?
PPs covered a lot on this front that I agree with.
You're having a c/s, right? If so just the knowledge that side-lying position (if you're going to bedshare or cosleep) is really great for a sore belly trying to nurse plus it won't disturb him bc he'll already be laying down and won't get startled awake when you lay him down. I know it took me about a week to be able to get in that position and prior to that I had to sit up with lots of pillows behind me and baby on my lap on a pillow. This time I'll have a boppy to aide with that.

I'm always a pm away if you ever need BFing with a c/s help. I've been through 3 of them already.
May 18th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hearts View Post

I'm always a pm away if you ever need BFing with a c/s help. I've been through 3 of them already.[/color]
Thank you! I will definitely message you if I have any concerns that way

May 19th, 2013, 07:29 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I definitely recommend a good nursing pillow. I personally wasn't a fan of the Boppy pillow, but maybe that's just me. I loved the My Brest Friend pillow. It was more firm, had a strap, and a raised part of the foam that worked better to get baby's head in position.

Sometimes your hospital will give you little sample tubes of Lansinoh lanolin. Take them! If you still have a lot of nipple pain from some bad first latches, they also make a cooling gel pad (Medela brand I think). Stick it in the fridge for a bit and then place on your nipples until the next feeding. You can rinse them off and stick them back in the fridge. So soothing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search