What position to install carseat. UPDATE QUESTIONS

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2013, 11:53 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
I know we have discussed this. Should I install it in the center or behind passanger seat? I plan to use the latch.

Last edited by bobbiejo1982; May 20th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
May 19th, 2013, 12:04 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Center is the safest place usually. I don't have a center seat with my minivan, so he's going behind the passenger seat
bribugg13 likes this.
May 19th, 2013, 01:52 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Center is the safest place, but not all cars have LATCH in the center. check your manual.

Bourne is behnd the passenger seat, so we will put Bodhi behind the drivers seat. I much prefer Bodhi in the middle, but I forsee lots of "help" from B1 while driving down the road and I don't want the poor baby to have his eyeballs poked out or have food forced down his throat...
May 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks ladies...I am going to see what everyone else is doing but will check my manual, will try for middle if not behind driviers I think
May 19th, 2013, 02:43 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Connor was in the middle for as long as we had a middle (and still is in DH's camry), when we got a minivan we lost the middle seat so he's behind me/the driver seat. I think I'll leave him there since it's easier to hand him things over my head when needed and put her carseat behind the passenger. I'm not sure I can leave a car seat in the middle of the Camry, we may have to split them to the sides there as well, the one downside to the graco myrides/snug rides...SO wide!!! Wish I could afford 2 radian's!

May 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our cars are SO old, that not only do we not have a Latch system, DH's car has the wrong kind of seatbelt in the middle seat. Like he opened the manual to read the directions and it said "If you have this seatbelt, don't put your car seat in the middle." So we installed ours behind the driver.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
May 19th, 2013, 05:02 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We put ours behind driver because it's easier than having to walk around to the other side of the car to get the seat out. The middle seat isn't really an option in my car. The middle is built up a bit and the seat base rocks too much for my liking.

May 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Check your manual and check your car's manual because even if you can't use LATCH in the middle seat you should be able to use the lap/shoulder belt. If you have a new car you most likely have a belt in the middle for lap and shoulder, which means that your belt will also lock in place once tightened. It sounds complicated but it's really not that difficult to use the lap/shoulder belt that locks in place while tightening down the car seat base The middle is the safest place for a car seat
bribugg13 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 19th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Super Mommy
I put ours in the middle, between my other two car seats. Hopefully too much "help" from those two won't be too big of a problem. All three seat fit into the back of my car, which I didn't think was going to happen, I am so very relieved they do though!
bribugg13 likes this.
May 20th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Ok so I checked my car manul. It does not have latch in the middle seat. So in your opinion should I put carseat in middle with seatbelt or use the LATCH behind driver?? What would be better.

Also I seen this in the manual and in my car but don't understand. What is the anchor for at the top of the seat, like behind an adult head? Thanks
May 20th, 2013, 04:35 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that is for a forward-facing seat.

May 20th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Ok thanks for info
May 20th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
You can use the anchor to attach a mirror also. That's what we've done before.

May 20th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The middle with the seatbelt is still the safest option. The latch system doesn't really improve safety, it improves the user's ability to guarantee a tight install. It's mostly a convenience thing.

The tether strap and tether hook (at the back of the car's actual seat, not your car seat) is for forward facing seats. Some infant/convertible car seats have a RF tether strap that you can hook to a proper place behind the front passenger/driver seat. Not many infant or convertible seats do this though and I would say most cars do not have a hook under the front seats for it. My Diono Radian has a RF tether strap and its comes with its own strap and hook to wrap around the bolted leg of the front seats so that you can use it. Your car seat manual should tell you if you should use the tether strap RF or not.

I would strongly recommend making an appointment with a car seat tech at your local firehouse or police station. Bring both your car's and your car seat's manuals, a regular sized bath towel, and a baby doll about the size of a newborn. The doll will give you an idea of how the baby will sit in the seat. If the doll looks too upright then it needs to be pitched back farther. The towel is to get the correct pitch.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 20th, 2013, 06:36 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not all car seats need a towel to get the correct angle. So that isn't really necessary always. And if your middle seat is raised at all then a better bet is to put the baby on the side. We will put lil man behind the drivers seat as it will be easier for me to reach him from the passenger side where I always sit. But I know more moms prefer to put baby behind the passenger seat if they are driving so they can reach baby easier. Honestly the whole center seat or side I think is more personal preference than anything because I was told to not put baby in the middle by professionals too. So I think what works better for your car and you is the main issue.

May 20th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Center is safest but in our case we don't have latch in the middle and we have the girls. So Hailey is RF behind the driver seat with the latch system. Madison is in the center FF with the top strap hooked behind the seat and Zack will go RF behind the passenger seat with the latch system and will stay there when we get his Graco My size 70 like Hailey is in.

Last edited by Madison.Hailey.Zack; May 20th, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
May 20th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Not all car seats need a towel to get the correct angle. So that isn't really necessary always.
I just suggest this so that it's on hand if it is needed . When I had my seat checked I didn't have a towel and the tech was nice enough to give me one from the fire house shower, lol. I kept thinking i would return it once I swapped it out for one of mine but somehow...well...oh well.

May 20th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I live in a small town of 800, I have not heard of any car seat professionals in the area. I wish they had something like that here, not sure how to find out. The middle of the seat is raised maybe just a little but it does look more flat there so I might be able to get a better angle there. Oh decisions lol. Also its says when not using the latch the teather needs to be connected to bottom of carseat, I don't get that.
May 20th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
To keep it from swinging around. Call your local fire house, they have to have a tech there, iirc.

May 20th, 2013, 11:46 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Car Seat Inspection Station Locator | NHTSA

BobbieJo here is a list of every car seat safety places you can go in your state. If your town doesn't have one a nearby town or your county will.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search