Toddler Moms

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Joanne Nicole
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By Mom2LillieAidan
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By Mom2LillieAidan
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2013, 09:10 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So lately my DD has started talking a lot more about her baby brother even down to telling him to come out and play with her on a daily basis. Yet she's also started acting out real bad the last two weeks. She did just hit 2 and a half at the beginning of the month. And I'm worried her acting out is from jealousy or insecurity over the baby coming. I'm hoping maybe its just a 2 1/2 thing. She's is a pretty advanced kid and has never tantrumed or been real whiny and has always told us what she wants or needs down to even telling us when she's sick. But lately holy terror. Like 30 tantrums a day over the tiniest of things. She's been super whiny and super clingy and will sometimes just make me constantly hold her....to be exact she will want held and I will pick her up...then she wants down 5 minutes later and then freaks out when I let her down til I repick her back up.
I have kind of been freaking out that its over lil man coming cause everyone has been telling her soon he will be here. Soon you will be a big sister. And your gonna be a big girl not the baby anymore. Yikes. Advice please! Anyone else's toddlers acting similar suddenly over impending baby?

May 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Honestly for us 3 was so much harder than 2. It's hard to tell if its because of the baby or her age and you are not really going to know until he is here which one it is. Huge hugs Hun.

May 20th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Super Mommy
Honestly I think it's just the age. I know they usually call it the terrible two's, but I've always found the "terrible" age creeps into threedom. My youngest is so strong willed and stubborn. I can't say he throws as many tantrums as he used to, but he's definitely a handful when he wants something. Whether it's something to eat, or he needs my help finding a toy, whatever it is he can be quite difficult when he has his mind set on something. I think at 2 1/2 she's still just a little too young to fully grasp that there will be another little person dividing your attention, so I don't think that it would result in tantrums purely because of that. My youngest has always been advanced, to the point that it's hard for me to remember that he's only 3, so when he does start acting like a three year old I have to remind myself how old he really is.
May 20th, 2013, 09:25 AM
That is so not very reassuring Lyndsay! Lol

May 20th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD is 5 and a half, so she pretty much understands what's happening. She's even come up with a list of priorities for me, concerning her and the baby. "If me and the baby are both crying at the same time, you go take care of the baby because I'm a big girl and I can take care of myself. But if I'm bleeding, you have to take care of me first."

But the last two weeks or so I've been noticing her acting out more than usual. She needs to be the center of attention at all times, climbing all over people and dancing right in front of their faces and interrupting everyone. Then occasionally she'll climb into what's left of my lap and hug me, and just insist on snuggling me for an hour or two. She clings to me like she's never going to see me again. She's never been one to snuggle me. Usually I get a drive-by hug from her, and Daddy gets the snuggles.

So obviously she's very aware that big changes are coming. We've done everything we can to explain and prepare her for the baby. We've got plenty of family around and DH is taking a month off work, so there will always be someone to play with her or hug her and make sure she's not feeling at all neglected.

I guess that's the best advice I can give. Just make sure your DD isn't feeling neglected at all. If you're busy with the baby, have Daddy play with her for a bit. And then make sure that baby gets passed to Daddy so that you can have time with her too.
MamaSkunk likes this.

May 20th, 2013, 09:42 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gabriel doesn't understand there is a baby coming. He hears us talk about Grayson and everything but it hasn't clicked. I am scared for how things are going to be when the baby is actually here.

However, I can relate to the non-stop temper tantrums. We have been dealing with this for MONTHS and I am exhausted, to be honest. He throws a fit over the smallest stuff--in public or at home, when he is tired, at bath time, over food, JUST EVERYTHING.

The only thing that seems to be working right now is when he throws a tantrum, we make him go to his room. We don't yell at him, just grab his hand and lead him. We just close the door and let him fit in there until he is calmed down and then he can come back out. Its gotten to the point now that when he gets mad and starts to yell, he just runs to his room by himself and closes the door to scream, lol.

Also, when something absolutely needs to happen that I know he is going to fit over (like taking a bath). I will say something like... "Gabriel, lets take a tub and when you are done we can have apples and watch an episode of Mickey". (Stuff he really likes) and that usually will get his approval and he won't throw too big of a fit to get in.

Sorry you are dealing with it too. It S-U-C-K-S. But hopefully it won't be much longer.
MamaSkunk likes this.

May 20th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, at almost 4, Lillie's attitude is much worse than it ever was at 2. Granted, now there have been a lot of changes recently, but she has her terror days (yesterday was one of them) and I've noticed she's getting increasingly clingy and when I told her that when Bay Aidan (that's what she calls him) comes, mama won't be home for a couple days, she freaked out with a capital F.
MamaSkunk likes this.

#1, 4, 5, 7
May 20th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Well at least I'm not alone dealing with this. I really do hope its an age thing. And that is a good idea Valerie. The tantrums can be so disruptive and so frustrating. I keep wondering what happened to me super sweet good kid lol. I keep going to watch her sleep at night or nap times just so that I can see her while she's peaceful and remind myself that she is the child i love and not just a devil child lol
Mom2LillieAidan likes this.

May 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Karry, I have days like that too, where it's just been a horribly day with tantrums and attitude and I need to watch her sleep for a minute. People tell me it gets better so just hold on to that. Granted you have longer than I do for it get better but alas, there is hope. Maybe she is just getting all the nastiness out of her system now and she'll be awesome once she hits 3 or 3 1/2. I know Lillie was a stellar 2 year old until about a month before she turned 3. 2 was a cake walk compared to 3...
MamaSkunk likes this.

#1, 4, 5, 7
May 20th, 2013, 12:32 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Your dd sounds a lot like Lily (my 5 year old) was at that age. She was 2 when Abri was born and really advanced with vocabulary and understanding. It sounds like what you are dealing with is age related more so than sibling related. I found 3 worse than 2 for tantrums. By that time Abri was 9 months old so we were past the adjustment stage. I also found 4 to be more challenging than 3 because of the attitude that came with it.
MamaSkunk likes this.
May 20th, 2013, 03:15 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Valerie and I are more on the same page with our boys...Kiefer does not understand at all what is about to happen. We talk about baby sister coming all the time and Jaleigh is super excited because she loves babies and has been through this before but for Kiefer, the whole thing is still an abstract concept that he just doesn't get. I'm terrified for what will happen when his whole world turns upside down because he is already a heathen lol. Jaleigh was much more like your daughter at this age...Kiefer is high energy, destructive, tantrum throwing, typical 2 year old boy.

May 20th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Omg Valerie I could kiss you. DD had a tantrum at lunch and I said nothing and walked her into her room and told her to come out when she was calm. She came out 3 minutes later calmly asked for what she wanted. And hasn't had a tantrum since then. (Normally she would have had several more by now.) Hallelujah this is definitely a method that appears to work with my DD!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search