What's Your Meal Plan?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our strategy this time is to have a bunch of things prepped and frozen. DH will do a quick grocery run before we come home with the baby for the fresh stuff to flesh out and compliment the already cooked (frozen) meals. I will also be stocking up on grab n' go things like snack bars, shakes, etc.

For freezer meals, this is what I have so far:

*2 dozen carrot & applesauce oatmeal muffins (for breakfasts and snacks)
*3 quiches (it would have been 4 but they looked so good I popped one into the oven instead of freezing it and devoured half of it at dinner time )
*Chicken noodle soup
*2 pot roasts to be thrown into the crockpot as needed

We'll be adding this week homemade alfredo sauce (to thaw and dump out on new noodles) and pea soup. I also want to add 2 dozen more muffins in another flavor, hopefully with a different fruit and veggie combo.

We're also running into a bit of a pickle with freezer space and I may end up having to drive 30 minutes away with food to my Dad's to use his deep freezer.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 20th, 2013, 07:58 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I always said I was going to do this and never did. So I am going with nothing I am sure my mom will be visiting so she will likely cook or grab something for everyone.

May 20th, 2013, 08:02 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do about 90% fresh, so no freezer meals here either.
May 20th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I was going to do this, and I have 1 meal in the freezer, but that's about all I got around to. Either DH will cook for me, or apparently there's a committee at my church who brings meals to families who just had babies, so I guess they'll be providing meals?

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
May 20th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My good friend came over this past Friday and cooked me many freezer meals all from scratch!! She and I made(mostly her i just helped a little)made 3 homemade frozen pizzas,2 bags of Italian meatballs, buffalo chicken for sliders,2 bags of chicken pesto meatballs, apx 20 southwestern chicken wraps, 8 or 9 breakfast burritos, potato soup, homemade marinara, 2 bags of marinated chicken breasts for summer grilling,4 loaves of banana bread,2 pans pumpkin cinnamon rolls.YUM!!
Here is a link from facebook of the pic of all the food.
https://m.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?...ser=1179919095
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

May 20th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Super Mommy
I don't have a clue! My DH gets home from work pretty early, usually around 3:30-4:00 so as long as I have everything on hand and plan out a week of meals it shouldn't be a problem. Right now I barely have energy to do my regular chores so I don't think I'll have much to make freezer meals. But every week, pregnant or not, before a shopping trip, I sit down for 10 minutes and write out 5 or 6 days worth of dinners. I write the ingredients needed on a shopping list. Breakfast and lunches are usually the same foods every week, so that's not too different. I will probably be able to do this still, and have DH go to the grocery store every week and do the shopping himself. This method is so key for me, if I don't have a game plan I get lazy. I will probably rely on crock pot meals and salads a lot, easy peasy!
May 21st, 2013, 12:03 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had wanted to make some freezer meals, but never got around to it. SO doesn't see the need to do it, but I'm not sure yet if he understands that I won't be cooking every night like I have been and he might be the one throwing something together once he gets home. He works all kinds of hours and sometimes he's not home until 8pm. He's pretty resourceful though and my mom will be around in the evenings to help me out.

May 21st, 2013, 02:42 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really want to make at least a few dishes.

May 21st, 2013, 03:14 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm going to a freezer meal prep party next week. I think I end up with 10 meals that are all pretty healthy. I forget what the menu is, but they sounded delicious. I'm on my own for making dinner (DH is never home in time to eat with us), so I needed a plan.
May 21st, 2013, 04:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The grll

May 21st, 2013, 04:39 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
I usually sit down at the end of the month and use our dry erase calender to write down paydays, dr appointments, bills due and then meals for the day for everyone, as well as using that plan to pre make the shopping lists for the entire month. Since the hubs offered to take over cooking for a while I've already created plans and lists for June, July, and August. Now all he has to do is follow the recipes that are in the household notebook and we should be good! haha
May 21st, 2013, 05:33 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any meal plan and haven't made any frozen meals. DH will be doing the cooking afterwards. He really is an amazing cook and even when I'm not pregnant he cooks at least half of our meals. I asked him if he wanted me to make anything to freeze so he could pop it in the oven and he told me not to even worry about it.

May 21st, 2013, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom and I made a few frozen meals. Two lasagnas(one big one small) one chicken and stuffing casserole, one ham casserole and 4 ham and cheese subs.

I'm hoping to add more to it before the babies get here.
May 21st, 2013, 07:54 AM
Rochelle
I have no meal plan but these are all awesome ideas that I should implement. So far I think I'll do these:

lasagna
tuna noodle casserole
banana bread

I'm at 3,000 posts on JM!!
May 21st, 2013, 08:03 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going to be making some freezer meals not this weekend but next. I am looking forward to having a good stash of meals in the freezer. DH is not much of a cook and he does not have a set work schedule so I will never know if I can count on him being home for supper so I need to have a plan in place.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
May 21st, 2013, 09:29 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH does most of the cooking around here.. so I imagine he will still cook. We have some Turkey Chili and Chicken Taco Soup frozen right now. I have also pre-made 7 green smoothies for breakfast. It is hard for me to find stuff that is okay for my diet that is freezable. I eat mostly fresh fruits and veggies and salads.

But hopefully I can come up with a couple more things in the next couple days to add to it so he isn't stuck cooking much for a few days. I am really going to need his help with the baby when he gets home from work.

May 21st, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If anyone is interested, here are our recipes for the food we have so far:

Carrot Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins:
Carrot Oatmeal Muffins

Quiche (Note: You can add anything you want to this. Take anything out and toss something else in. It's very forgiving and easy. I call Quiche "garbage pie" for leftover veggies and meats, lol):

Makes 1 pie, multiply ingredients for larger batches. I made 4 pies.

1.5 C cheese (cheddar swiss, etc)
4T all purpose flour
1/2 C meat (substitute for more veggies if you'd like, broccoli and asparagus is great in this)
Handful of fresh spinach with stems removed
Chopped onions to preference (some like a little, some like a lot)
3 large eggs
1 cup half & half (or milk)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard (I couldn't taste its addition to the pie so if you don't have it don't sweat it)
1 9 inch pie crust (I use frozen shells since my homemade version tastes almost exactly the same. This time around I used Marie Calendar crusts but I have used Kroger's brand before.

How to Make: Toss everything together, just make sure to beat the eggs before dumping everything else on top. Pour the mixture into your still frozen shell, cover with plastic and then cover with aluminum foil. Set in freezer until you need it. Once you're ready to eat pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees, set on a cookie sheet, and cook for 60 minutes, though I always check at around 50. If you're not sure it's ready just shake the pie. If the middle wobbles it needs to cook longer. I have the best luck with putting either foil or a ring around the edges of the crust to keep it from burning. Brown crust edges, slightly browned top around edges of filling with a firmish middle - done!

Pea Soup:

DH isn't helping me with this. He eyeballs it but says it's hard to screw up. Get 2 medium bags of peas, a few stalks of celery (chopped), and half a medium onion (cut up into chunks). Toss everything into a pot and JUST cover it with water. Bring to a medium boil. Pour everything into a blender (may have to do this a couple times so have a large bowl handy). Make sure to hold the top of the blender down with your hand wrapped in a tea towel. Blend until you see little to no chunks. Allow it to cool, zip lock freezer bag it. When you're ready for it, set the bag on a dish and let it soften to room temperature. Then either put it in the fridge to continue thawing or scoop into a pot and put it on low heat until it is melted and then increase heat to allow it to properly heat up. We put a dash of milk into the soup with some salt and pepper at serving time. It tastes wonderful with sandwiches.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 21st, 2013, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 View Post
DH does most of the cooking around here.. so I imagine he will still cook. We have some Turkey Chili and Chicken Taco Soup frozen right now. I have also pre-made 7 green smoothies for breakfast. It is hard for me to find stuff that is okay for my diet that is freezable. I eat mostly fresh fruits and veggies and salads.

But hopefully I can come up with a couple more things in the next couple days to add to it so he isn't stuck cooking much for a few days. I am really going to need his help with the baby when he gets home from work.
We have some items that we will stock up on that are staples.

Pre-cooked protein in the frozen food section (Trader Joe's has a large selection)
90 sec. rice packages or steamed rice from the frozen food section
Frozen vegetables
There are also Quinoa packages in the frozen food section

Any combination can get you a decent meal in under 30 min. and healthy. We also eat a lot of fresh vegetables raw - just slice and eat.
MrsLat likes this.
May 21st, 2013, 03:02 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good to know. We were planning to take a trip to Trader Joe's in the next couple days, so I will look for that stuff. Thanks for the tips

May 21st, 2013, 03:19 PM
We really like the Confetti rice, Jasmine rice, Chicken & Shrimp chipotle skewers, tamales and the frozen, sliced pre-cooked chicken breasts. The frozen chicken tenders thaw quickly and you can saute with vegetables for a quick meal, too.

Also, I keep random cans of soup/vegetarian chili etc. for quick meals.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search