1 more week for me.

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By eshute
  • 2 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 3 Post By Rissa6213
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2013, 08:02 AM
First time mommy :)
So, I am 39 weeks today. I went to the doctor on Monday and he checked my cervix, and I haven't made any progress for 3 weeks :-( Still closed, and still 60-70% effaced. So we made a plan that if he doesn't decide to show up by my next appointment on Tuesday, he may induce me on my actual due date which is Wednesday the 29th. My first due date was June 2nd but they changed it by a few days which I still am not sure why. I'm so ready for this baby to come out! I've barely been having any BH contractions unless I am up and moving for a while, so I just feel like he is content in the womb and is chosing to be stubborn like his parents. My husband said yesterday "he's gotta be burnt toast in there by now, I wonder why he won't come out" haha. I said because he is your son!

I'm pretty nervous, I don't know what to expect. I've heard good and bad stories from you all about being induced with Pitocin. My Dr said they would use a cervical ripener called cervadel (spelling?) then the Pitocin. I wish there was some way I could make him come on his own, I was really hoping for a natural birth. But, when does anything ever go as planned! Anybody have any tricks?
May 22nd, 2013, 08:28 AM
Super Mommy
Honestly, it's very normal for FTMs to go past their due date. It you want to hurry labor along, you could start taking evening primrose oil and also inserting one vaginally every night before you go to bed. It's full of prostaglandins, which help with cervical ripening. It's pretty safe, but you could still talk to your doctor about taking it. And if he says no, I would call a midwife and ask them instead. Also, a more natural induction method involves a foley bulb, which tricks your cervix into thinking the baby's head is pushing down so it encourages your cervix to thin and dilate, from there you could just go into labor on your own. My personal opinion is that it's really better to go into labor naturally, inductions should really only be used for medical reasons.

Last edited by Kyla0709; May 22nd, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
May 22nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
Yeah I've heard about the foley bulbs, but I asked my Dr and he said that they don't do it that way. Maybe I will call and ask about the primrose oil because I am also worried about a rough labor with Pitocin.
May 22nd, 2013, 08:55 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Pitocin can be rough if your body isn't ready for the labor already. Hopefully the Cervadil will work to prepare your cervix. I have had pitocin 3 times and with my first it was very hard because my body was ready at all. On a lighter note, with my second and third it was not as hard and intense all at once. Just depends I guess.... have lots of sex and leave the semen in overnight! lol helps with the thinning out process.

May 22nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlinmommy17 View Post
Pitocin can be rough if your body isn't ready for the labor already. Hopefully the Cervadil will work to prepare your cervix. I have had pitocin 3 times and with my first it was very hard because my body was ready at all. On a lighter note, with my second and third it was not as hard and intense all at once. Just depends I guess.... have lots of sex and leave the semen in overnight! lol helps with the thinning out process.
I wish I could have sex, but my DH is deployed! I haven't had sex in 6 months :-( sad sad sad face!
May 22nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not to be weird, but orgasms help with bringing on labor even without semen. I've also been walking up and down the steps and trying to take a walk with my dog in the evenings when it's cool, but my belly gets super tight and uncomfortable now when I walk more than a few minutes. I was 1cm and 70% at my appointment last week, so I don't know if I'm just lucky or if this stuff is helping.

Good luck!
Rissa6213 likes this.

May 22nd, 2013, 09:51 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope he decides to come naturally. I was 8 days overdue with my daughter, and my doctor never mentioned wanting to induce me. They just monitored me to make sure she was okay and that my fluid was okay. For what reason are they going to induce you? Good luck either way and I hope you progress and have a wonderful labor experience.

May 22nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy220 View Post
I hope he decides to come naturally. I was 8 days overdue with my daughter, and my doctor never mentioned wanting to induce me. They just monitored me to make sure she was okay and that my fluid was okay. For what reason are they going to induce you? Good luck either way and I hope you progress and have a wonderful labor experience.

He never really gave me a specific reason why actually, just that I don't seem to be progressing at all. And I have that thing where when I go to the doctor I should probably write things down because I freeze up and forget to ask questions, I just sort of sit there and nod. I haven't had any medical issues, so I'm not entirely sure. I'll make a list of questions for my visit next week.
May 22nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Almost all First time moms go overdue. Full term can include going up to 2 weeks past your due date. I honestly would not do an induction unless you hit close to that two weeks over mark. Inductions and pitocin suck complete butt. And if you can avoid it then try. Go for walks...go up and down stairs. Like Elise said...try some toys or something since DH is deployed. Eat pineapple. Take Evening primrose. Eat spicy foods. Heck try them all but I would not recommend an induction just cause you hit your due date. Little man will come out when he's ready and maybe he just wants a few more days than what you are wanting. And your Dr is pushing the induction just cause its easier for him.

May 22nd, 2013, 10:28 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I agree with the rest of the ladies. Not being dilated and going into an induction means that you do not have a favorable bishop's score. Not having a favorable bishops score means that labor is likely to be incredibly difficult and could end in an a section. We all come to the point in our pregnancies where we want to be done and of course the best outcome is healthy mom and baby no matter what but aside from medical reasons on induction on your due date is not the best idea. But if you have done all of your research on both sides, not just want your doctor has told you and you still want to be induced I hope you have an amazing birth experience. I know how difficult the end is with a deployed spouse, I have done it twice. I am not trying to be rude or change your mind or make you feel bad for your choice, I just want you to know that these things are possible.

Do you know if he is head down and placing pressure on your cervix? If his head is in a funky position it could be why you have no dilated yet but honestly in the long run dilation can mean something or it could mean nothing. I was only 3cm when I went into full blown labor with Everett and his labor was just shy of an hour total. With Katelynn I was only 2cm and my water broke at home, she was born 20 minutes after arriving to the hospital. I was only 3cm when I got there and my labor was 4 hours total. You never know what could happen in the next few days. Hang in there hun, this is the most difficult part but please do research before you choose to induce with a low bishops score, I would hate to see your induction end in a section because baby boy and your body wasnt ready.
mommy_to_nico and Rissa6213 like this.

May 22nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am also nervous about induction. I totally understand and share your desire for a natural birth, and I too fear that being induced will be too much for me. I guess the best we can do is go into it with an open mind and hope for the best. I do agree that if you don't need to be induced then you should at least find out what your doctor's reasoning is. Why deal with a potential harder labor if you don't need to?

May 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know anything about the induction part I was just going to suggest walking also, doing some squats or sitting and bouncing on a yoga ball a little bit and see if he will move down for you. Hoping you can avoid an induction!

May 22nd, 2013, 11:49 AM
He is head down I know for sure. But I also had a LEEP procedure done when I was 20, so my cervix may or may not be able to dilate at all because of the scar tissue. I feel in my gut that in the end I will end up with a C section no matter which way I go, Pitocin or not :-( I have been um, "doing it myself" lol at least every night because I had heard that it might help. I've been walking every day for almost 3 weeks, bouncing on a ball, eating spicy food....it's just like nothing is moving. My mother had the exact same thing happen with both my sister and I. She just never went into labor and never dilated, and even Pitocin didn't put her into labor so she had two C sections. I wonder if I will inherit it from her. I know I am just being anxious and I still have one week left until my due date and it could still happen. It is so hard just being alone through all of this. I wish my husband was here.
May 22nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry this is so sucky and you're alone! Hugs! Just wanted share a note on cervidil. I was told when I got it that it really doesn't work for many people. Well, it brought on contractions, big time, but they were't productive and they were completely relentless. I wasn't coming down off of one before the next would start. It was horrible. They ended up taking me off that and starting pitocin. It was a horrible experience. I wouldn't have done any of it except my water had already broken. I would definitely ask your dr why he thinks an induction is necessary since so many women go late the first time. I hope things go well and you can have your little man without an induction or section. Good luck!
Rissa6213 likes this.

May 22nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
This is very normal for ftms. Being head down is important but there are also different positions within the head down position. He could be head down but with his cheek or he could be face up. Just some possibilities. And not being dilated like I said could mean nothing. Huge hugs Hun I know how much you want your hubby!
Rissa6213 likes this.

May 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Dilation can change really quickly, so just because you aren't now doesn't mean you won't dilate later. The average length of a pregnancy for a first time mom is 41w1d. If you are comfortable with an induction, I would at least ask your doc to wait until you reach 41 weeks.
May 22nd, 2013, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't give up hope, I went from contracting every 3-5 minutes for hours straight without dialating so i got sent home from the hospital, was back 8 hours later fully dilated and ready to push. Wishing you the best of luck with whatever decision you make

May 23rd, 2013, 08:29 AM
Ok, I've decided to be patient and wait until 41 weeks unless my doctor gives me a good reason why I need to be induced. I really don't want to make my son come out if he's planning on coming out on his own, but just a little bit late!
May 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good deal! He will come when he's ready I am sure of it! Just get out there and take walks and walk up and down stairs and that will bounce his head down into your cervix at this stage.

May 23rd, 2013, 10:08 AM
Hun I know how difficult it is, especially when your spouse is deployed. If you need to talk you know where to find me!
Rissa6213 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search