Maternity Leave

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Who is already on leave? Who left work early?

I was originally scheduled to work all the way up to my due date but told my dr I am wonder woman and could do it. Now I am up all night almost every night throwing up or worse (sitting on the toilet) and having contractions so I am having to call in on an LOA at work (leave of absence) which is unpaid. BUT....I have a paid maternity leave through insurance and that is about 40% of my pay (but still get paid) and found out I could go ahead and START my maternity leave if I wanted but I have to get a notice from dr stating I am on bed rest or work restriction. Ugh. I am hoping my dr (whom I saw yesterday) will be willing to write up that notice so I can go ahead and get paid for this time off. I am alotted 360 hours (9 weeks) and I only need 6 weeks maternity leave but I hate not getting paid for all this time off (unless I use my vacation time and sick time....which would suck to do as I don't get that time back when I get back from maternity leave).

May 22nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my 3rd week out of work. I planned on working up to my due date, but my doctor had other ideas. I went grocery shopping this morning just because I needed to get out of the house. Half way through the store I came to the realization that there is no way I could get through a work day at this point. My disability is complete crap, so I get paid a small fraction of my normal wage for 6 weeks, regardless of how long I'm actually out of work.

May 22nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Got to do what you got to do. Hope you can get the slip and ok to start leave. I hear you thou, I am getting 12 weeks but it's all unpaid unless I take my vacation and sick time. I figure I have about 4 weeks of that then is all gone and that won't come back either. I contimplated working until due date but was thinking of starting my maternity leave one wek before.
May 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I am working until I have the baby, but then I get to be a SAHM afterwards! I gave my notice 2 weeks ago.
MommaMandaPanda89 likes this.
May 22nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had planned on working up to my due date (even though with my BP, they probably would've pulled me out early), but when SO and I moved I was 28ish weeks and finding a job didn't work out. Luckily, SO was able to find work quickly. I've been going crazy being at home, though. Honestly, I'd rather be working.

May 22nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I quit my late night nanny job the end of April and I told the other girl I nanny for that after today I was most likely done until the baby comes. I'm just too worn out to deal with her kids. (They're kind of little hellions.) I just don't have the energy and the patience for them right now. She said she would keep asking me to watch them, just in case I wanted to do it, and I told her I was going to keep telling her no. Haha.

I'm still teaching 3 Zumba classes a week and plan to keep doing that (but going down to 2 as soon as I can find someone to take over one of them) until I just can't do it anymore or until I have the baby. That's the only thing I'll be going back to for sure, but I don't get any maternity leave technically since I'm just part time and I obviously won't get paid when I'm not there. I was hoping that I could just teach Zumba after the baby and not have to try and find something else, but with my husband's schedule getting changed off weekends, his income is drastically reduced and with me not nannying anymore and then having 4-6 (or more) weeks off of Zumba, that will be too long with me not having any income. So, I'll probably have to try and figure something else out. Or end up adding a bunch of Zumba classes to my schedule!
May 22nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
honestly, i'd rather be working as well but with me being sick to my stomach all night (both ends.....ugh) and then having contractions and sharp pains....I couldn't sit in a chair 8 hours a day taking phone calls from customers who think we are the devil and did everything wrong. (I work for a mail order pharmacy). My dr's office just called, said they are faxing over paperwork to let me start my maternity leave the 28th....which is okay because I am not scheduled to work Monday memorial day and the paperwork she sent over stated "due to complications in the pregnancy, I am required to take off for maternity leave early". I like my dr....!!!! YAY no more stressing!!!!
MissyBee likes this.

May 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yay! My midwife told me that she would write any letter I felt I needed, lol.

But I am off as well! My last day was Friday and it was super sad But funny enough I had like 5 parents tell me that they didn't even know I was pregnant :S LOL

Oh well!

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I am still working (at 38 1/2 weeks) sigh***** today is the first day i seriously have thought to myself that i can't do this anymore. we have been slammed, i am the only nurse and my feet and ankles are soooo swollen. i am exhausted and i feel like crying. then on top of that we get in a huge shipment that i have to unpack by myself.... ugh. I am greatful to have my medical assistant tomorrow to help me... i NEED to go into labor so i can stop working!!!!!!

May 22nd, 2013, 05:55 PM
Veteran
I planned on working up until I go into labor. Then I get only 6 weeks unpaid maternity leave and I am contemplating using whatever vacation/sick time I have because I have not used any. I don't know I will have to take a wait a see attitude. I just hope I don't go into labor at work! That's my nightmare right there :/
May 22nd, 2013, 06:14 PM
I told DH I love my job. It may be a call center job and some people think same thing every day but the customers are different and sometimes you get some really great memorable ones. But I told him this morning I just have NO motivation to sit in a chair at a desk and computer all day (8 hrs a day) for 5 days a week and 40 hrs a week...it is VERY exhausting in itself.

May 22nd, 2013, 06:47 PM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually had to leave work today at lunch, so I doubt I'll make it to my planned 39 weeks. I took tomorrow off as well, but plan to go back Friday if my OB says it's okay. If I could sit and work it would be fine, but I'm on my feet the whole day and it's too much at this point. I didn't have this problem with my first two, but this pregnancy has been so much tougher the whole time. We'll see....

May 22nd, 2013, 06:50 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I could quit now. I am sooooooo uncomfortable, even sitting on my couch. Unfortunately, since I am self-employed, there is no paid leave of any kind for any reason. So I will be working up until I pop. I have someone covering for me, but she can't start until the second week in June. I don't know how I'm going to make it...
Kim3 likes this.

May 23rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I am still working, and think i will work up until my due date (if I don't have the baby before that!). I plan on my due date being my last day, since it is a friday, and by that coming monday I will be 3 days over due already! I am not going to come back to work after that. At first I have 12 weeks of unpaid leave, but won't be returning... Here, we have to use any vacation or sick time we have before we can use any unpaid leave. I have basically used all of my paid leave anyway over the last 8 months anyway! I have a desk type job, so I am grateful I don' t have to stand or move around a lot, but it gets tiring just sitting here too, and my ankles swell.

May 23rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My last day is sunday. It's been a little rough waitressing especially cause this weekend I work Friday, Saturday, sunday so I'm looking at about 25-26 hours this weekend. My feet will be killing me for sure!

May 23rd, 2013, 03:49 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am annoyed about my maternity leave. I have been saving up sick days for the 5 years since I have had my daughter. I have like 8 weeks saved up. We are allowed to use up to 6 weeks for maternity leave. With dd I took 12 weeks and I used 6 weeks of my sick time, so I only took 6 weeks unpaid. This time, since I am giving birth in the summer, I cannot use ANY of my sick days for my maternity leave in the fall (teacher). Yes, I do realize that I am still getting my summer time off but I am still bitter that I have all these sick days that I cannot use. I see it as I always get summer break (not paid- we only get paid for the days we work) so why should I not also get a separate maternity leave? I would be getting both if I was due any other month of the year so it seems unfair. I am going to take 8 weeks in the fall as I just cannot afford to take all 12 unpaid. As it is I have to pay my insurance out of pocket for the 8 weeks which totals $1300 on top of not getting paid for those weeks.

The last day of school is June 12th, so not much more to go. I am not sure if my doctor will even want me working up to then, but I hope I can. Even though the bitter side of me wants to just stay home now (my doc says I can and kinda was encouraging me to) but I love my students too much and I want to see them off, especially since I have 5th graders for the first time who are leaving for middle school.

I am glad that your doctor wrote you the note and was so great about it!!

May 23rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
Trust me...leaving early is not all that it is cracked up to be. Yes, you can sleep in. Yes, you can eat whenever and whatever you want. Yes, you can veg in front of the tv or Netflix and watch tv until your heart is content but it gets BORING.............especially when you have no car.

May 23rd, 2013, 04:19 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DEFINITELY boring!

May 23rd, 2013, 04:39 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My last day of work is May 31st. I chose this day because its also DD's last day of school. After that, I'm going to be SAHM for a little while!!! I'm pretty pumped because I have been working full time since DD was 15mo old.

May 23rd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My last day was the 10th. I honestly thought I would be pulled out a lot sooner but my dr kept saying I could go as long as I wanted. When I did decide to leave she didn't say that she would have made me but said that it was really good idea that I stop. Some days last week I felt good and I kept thinking wow I could be working but then I spend a day on my feet and realize how there was no way I could have. Plus state testing was about to start and I really didn't need that stress. I swelling is horrible. My whole leg hurts so bad and I'm measuring at 46 weeks pregnant so I'm glad I left when I did.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search