natural labor advice?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 2 Post By mommyandwife08
  • 5 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 3 Post By QueenCrafty

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2013, 05:57 PM
Super Mommy
Okay... so I caved and got an epidural when I gave birth to my daughter.. and lately my mom and boyfriend's mom have really supported me and encouraged me to try this time to not ask for an epidural. For the BTDT mama's... how bad is labor really without it? I really wanna give this my all I am just so nervous because I remember how bad the contractions got to hurting with my daughter.. although that could be because I was given pitocin (my water broke and contractions didn't really follow)... Words of encouragement? Advice?
May 22nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been told that pitocin DOES make contractions not only more painful but more intense Pamela. I had the same thing happen as you did with my dd. Water broke and no contractions. I get told I'm a frickin champ all the time for having gone 24 hours of labor on pitocin with no pain meds. Even my aunt who is a labor and delivery nurse was shocked. I think after dealing with a pitocin labor that dealing with natural will be a cakewalk lol. However...use water by taking a bath or shower...I got one briefly during my labor with DD and it worked WONDERS! Change positions. Use counter pressure onyour back...by using a fist or tennis balls to apply pressure. Have someone massage your back. Use calming music or hypno cCDs to help calm you. Use a birthing ball. Go for a walk. Do things to try and occupy your mind. And either sit up or do squats and hip rolls to let gravity help as well.

Oh and you CAN totally do this natural Pamela!!!
pamela.burke611 likes this.

Last edited by MamaSkunk; May 22nd, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
May 22nd, 2013, 06:50 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great question! I am interested in what others have to say as well.
TeresaV and pamela.burke611 like this.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
May 22nd, 2013, 09:22 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
I've been told that pitocin DOES make contractions not only more painful but more intense Pamela. I had the same thing happen as you did with my dd. Water broke and no contractions. I get told I'm a frickin champ all the time for having gone 24 hours of labor on pitocin with no pain meds. Even my aunt who is a labor and delivery nurse was shocked. I think after dealing with a pitocin labor that dealing with natural will be a cakewalk lol. However...use water by taking a bath or shower...I got one briefly during my labor with DD and it worked WONDERS! Change positions. Use counter pressure onyour back...by using a fist or tennis balls to apply pressure. Have someone massage your back. Use calming music or hypno cCDs to help calm you. Use a birthing ball. Go for a walk. Do things to try and occupy your mind. And either sit up or do squats and hip rolls to let gravity help as well.

Oh and you CAN totally do this natural Pamela!!!
thank you so much for your kind words and advice! *taking notes* I am keeping my fingers crossed I pray no pitocin this time.. either way I don't wanna cave and ask for the epidural this time. I wanna be able to do it! I am just so scared of the pain! My labor with my daughter was 17 hours I gave in to the epidural very shortly before I had her, it just became so intense I couldn't move, the contractions just didn't seem to ever take a break! Thank you for the tips!
May 22nd, 2013, 09:31 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
First change the mentality of pain. Pain with a purpose, pain to bring me my son, I can do anything for a minute. In this country we have he notion that birth is something to fear and not that women are strong. After I had David I never thought I could have a natural birth. After my natural birth with Katelynn I felt powerful, strong, even if I didn't feel that way at the time. Laboring on your back is the worst position walking moving will help things along. Ask about intermittent monitoring so you can freely move, ask about a hep lock so you are not attached to an IV pole the whole time but they have access. Don't get into the tub too soon or it could stall contractions. But most of all keep the mentality that you are strong and you can do this.

May 22nd, 2013, 09:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't offer any advice, but I do want to say that no one knows how your labor feels except for you. If you feel during your labor you can make it through with no pain medication then you can do it. But if it becomes too much then it's nobody's **** business what you do about it, lol.

My epidural needle fell out and stayed out for 2 hours while I was receiving pitocin. It made my contractions during the pre-induction drug phase feel like a nice back rub. If I have to be induced again I will be getting an epidural alongside the pitocin because I know I can't do it.
pamela.burke611 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 23rd, 2013, 04:39 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
First change the mentality of pain. Pain with a purpose, pain to bring me my son, I can do anything for a minute. In this country we have he notion that birth is something to fear and not that women are strong. After I had David I never thought I could have a natural birth. After my natural birth with Katelynn I felt powerful, strong, even if I didn't feel that way at the time. Laboring on your back is the worst position walking moving will help things along. Ask about intermittent monitoring so you can freely move, ask about a hep lock so you are not attached to an IV pole the whole time but they have access. Don't get into the tub too soon or it could stall contractions. But most of all keep the mentality that you are strong and you can do this.
I agree! You've gone through labor before so you know the basics. A technique that worked for me was to hum through contractions. I found a low tone and changed the volume to match the intensity of the contractions. I also focused on not tensing up because that brought on pain. I also found it more comfortable to sit on the toilet. Don't be afraid to move around and try different things to see what works for you.
May 24th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
thank you so much for this! I definitely would have gotten in the tub first thing! I gotta just keep my mind in the game it sounds and no matter what not give in! Thanks for the advice
May 24th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
I agree! You've gone through labor before so you know the basics. A technique that worked for me was to hum through contractions. I found a low tone and changed the volume to match the intensity of the contractions. I also focused on not tensing up because that brought on pain. I also found it more comfortable to sit on the toilet. Don't be afraid to move around and try different things to see what works for you.
this is some great advice! I forgot about how humming could work! I learned that in a childbirth class when I was pregnant with my daughter but I have not gone to one this time around and didn't even think about the humming!
May 24th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
I can't offer any advice, but I do want to say that no one knows how your labor feels except for you. If you feel during your labor you can make it through with no pain medication then you can do it. But if it becomes too much then it's nobody's **** business what you do about it, lol.

My epidural needle fell out and stayed out for 2 hours while I was receiving pitocin. It made my contractions during the pre-induction drug phase feel like a nice back rub. If I have to be induced again I will be getting an epidural alongside the pitocin because I know I can't do it.
I definitely agree with you that whatever route is chosen is nobody's business, trust me. I could have given a you-know-what what anyone thought of me while I got my epidural with Chloe. I just want to try this time without, but what is most important is what can be handled and our babies coming safely into the world
May 24th, 2013, 05:07 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. Tons of great advice!

May 24th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mentality is definitely a main factor here, if you go in thinking you can't do it then chances are you'll cave in and get pain meds. Go in thinking as if there is no epidural choice and you have to/want to do this naturally. The problem with pitocin is that it makes your contractions start out very strong from the get go making you think they hurt more than natural contractions, but when you go in to labor naturally contractions start mild and get stronger as time passes letting your body gradually get used to the pain. What really help me get through the pain was my breathing and walking around and getting on all fours. Definitely do not lay on your back, that makes it worse. Hope this helped you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search