Worst advice

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
What has been some of the worst advice you have gotten this pregnancy?

May 23rd, 2013, 10:13 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I haven't really gotten a whole lot of advice... i guess people figure with your fourth you have most of it figured out already, but i get annoyed tremendously with the "you might want to keep those formula samples here and handy just in case breastfeeding doesn't work out like last time..."

May 23rd, 2013, 10:45 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't received too much bad advice (or any for that matter), but I do have a couple of FB friends (aka barely acquaintances) who keep pestering me on FB with cliches like "I see you posting about heartburn...she's gonna have lots of hair" or "get your sleep now, you aren't going to get any when the baby comes." Sigh. Thanks for the wise words of wisdom.

May 23rd, 2013, 10:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With Sebastian, he was overdue and someone told me to go out and walk the curbs.

My balance was bad enough, trying to walk the curbs...I could of fallen and done some damage.

Not brilliant on my part that I actually tried it.

May 23rd, 2013, 11:47 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I've been lucky this time too that people assume I know what I'm doing
May 23rd, 2013, 12:29 PM
Rochelle
Yea, ppl don't advise me anymore bc it's my 4th but I have gotten a few annoying comments from some homeschool acquaintances who drag me into a discussion on my birth plans. When I mention wanting things to go a certain way they say "well all that really matters is that baby comes out safe in the end" Freaking REALLY?! Because I totally care more about my birth plans than my baby being OK. I mean, as long as I get MY WAY then whatever about the baby! Nevermind that the things I want are ONLY concerning the baby and have nothing at all to do with me! (Immediate skin-to-skin/BFing and delayed cord clamping).

People...ugh
May 23rd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't gotten any advise probably cuz it's my second so people probably figure that I don't need it. I do get advise when I ask questions about breast feeding since I didn't breast feed DS for longer than a day lol

May 23rd, 2013, 12:39 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah. I love the "get your sleep now" and the "don't let your baby -insert unnecessary advice here-". And the ones about the birth plan, everyone keeps saying the whole "as long as the baby is healthy" thing. I agree with 4hearts - freaking really?! Trust me, I know what I want, but if sh*t hits the fan, of course my baby comes first. Also, my BIL very seriously looked at my and said "Or you could just get a c-section" when I mentioned going natural. I was stunned. My sister had 2 c-sections so I guess they don't know anything else, but come on. Really?
sunnydaze likes this.

May 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Fortunately the advice has been minimal this time around, probably because this is my 3rd. But I have gotten it all in my previous pregnancies. I realize these people think they are being helpful, but ugh.
May 23rd, 2013, 01:28 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since this is my second, I haven't gotten any advice. Last time I got TONS of advice - especially when he was still breach at 36-37 weeks. The best was to do headstands against the wall for several hours a day. Yea, that is healthy for a 9 month pregnant chick.
May 23rd, 2013, 02:07 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's not so much advice since this is my 3rd, but I'm getting really tired of people telling me that I need to hurry up and pick a name. When I tell people we are still undecided I get crazy looks followed by something stupid like "you better hurry up and pick something, you are running out of time!" Why thank you. I'm not at all stressed about it and until you said something I was completely unaware of how close I was getting.

May 23rd, 2013, 02:38 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get told that I should just get a darn epidural and not be a dang hero about it cause I want to go natural. Huh didn't know that choosing to do things natural the way women have for...oh ever meant I was a hero. I just figured I was choosing what appeals to me more. I also get told by my dad that I should in no circumstances exercise or do anything too strenuous....if my dad comes over he will even tell me not to pick DD up all the time. Err nope exercising is good for a pregnant woman and no I won't hurt myself by mowing the lawn. Ugh.

May 23rd, 2013, 05:23 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still get the "get a good night's sleep now, while you still can" comments. This is my 3rd child people. I haven't had a good night's sleep in 5 years, lol.
mommyandwife08 and D&K's_mama like this.

May 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Not really bad advice, but really stupid. A lady told me to not put my arms above my head cuz the umbilical cord would get wrapped around the baby's neck and choke him. I asked her to explain the logic of it, but she didn't have an answer. Dummy.
sunnydaze likes this.

May 23rd, 2013, 06:35 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen78 View Post
Not really bad advice, but really stupid. A lady told me to not put my arms above my head cuz the umbilical cord would get wrapped around the baby's neck and choke him. I asked her to explain the logic of it, but she didn't have an answer. Dummy.
Hahahaha wow. That's a new one to me.

May 23rd, 2013, 06:44 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen78 View Post
LOL this cracked me up!
May 23rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just get annoyed with people when they find out this is our fourth and say well you're gona have your hands full...duh. I know this! I already have my hands full! Or people saying we should be done ..what's it any of there business!
KellBell2621 likes this.

May 23rd, 2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran
I can't think of a bad piece of advice I got this time off the top of my head, but I can think of plenty of stupid remarks/questions.. like, for example, how do I feel about getting pregnant again even though I am not married to my childrens' father? Some people just have no social etiquette or filter..
May 23rd, 2013, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't really gotten a lot of bad advice. I don't think people know what to say for twins.

I get the sleep comment a lot. To which I usually add that I haven't slept in weeks due to just being pregnant with twins.
May 23rd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Super Mommy
yeah no advice really but plenty of annoying comments....since i'll have 2 under the age of 2 i get 'oh you're gonna have your hands full' and since i still bedshare with my 17 month old i get 'oh no what are you going to do when the next one comes???' i'm like 'idk we'll figure it out.' it's my problem, no one elses

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search