Strangers

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Do strangers comment on your pregnancy? What are they saying?

May 28th, 2013, 10:07 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
People always ask if it is my first and when I tell them it is my third they say "wow, you look way to young to be having a third child." I never know if I should take that as a compliment or not. I normally just smile and say thank you.

This didn't happen with a stranger really but it was still funny.
I went to the doctor for some poison ivy (this was about 2 weeks ago) and she was going to prescribe me something for it. I asked if it was okay to take during pregnancy and our conversation went like this.
doctor: "no, why are you trying to get pregnant"
Me:"no, I am pregnant"
Doctor: "oh congratulations. How far along are you? Do you want us to go ahead and confirm it at this appointment"
me: "No, you did that when we moved here a few months ago. I am 34 weeks pregnant now"
Doctor: "oh wow, I never would have guessed"

so basically my doctor called me fat because there is no way to miss this basketball sticking out from my belly.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
May 28th, 2013, 10:16 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I get "you look ready to pop" and "is it a girl?" a lot. The latter I always figured was because people would see me with my two boys and just assume we were trying for a girl, but several times here lately it has been when the boys weren't with me.
May 28th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes. I get a lot of stares and people asking when I'm due...ugh why do they care anyways!?

May 28th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I get a lot of "is this your first?" I'm convinced people ask that so that if you say yes, they can spew out all the advice and horrible stories they have. Saying it's your second usually just prompts the "are you having a boy or girl?" followed by "oh thats so great that you'll have one of each!" Sure i guess? I really really can't figure out why people seem so interested in other people's pregnancies. I've never approached someone who was pregnant or asked them any questions at all, because quite frankly I don't care! It would be comparable to my asking what kind of car they drive....it makes no difference in my life haha
Joanne Nicole likes this.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
May 28th, 2013, 10:41 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
I get the "ready to pop" comments too - I always want to say "you know, that's not how childbirth works - did you take sex ed?" I get asked when I'm due, and people constantly guess that I'm having a boy and express surprise when I tell them girl. Apparently people think they can tell by how I'm carrying?

Did have a fun little moment at a friend's college graduation last week. I was sitting on a bench resting afterward while everyone was taking pics etc, and happened to look over and make eye contact with a stranger who looked about as pregnant as I am, sitting on a another bench resting. We sort of gave each other a "nod" and smile, a little moment of comradeship. Made me think we pregnant ladies need a secret salute or wave or something that means "hey girl, I feel your pain" LOL.

May 28th, 2013, 10:44 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
OMG this past weekend every other person I walked passed had something to say....mostly things like "I must be ready to pop/have a baby any day now"... "omg you've gotten so big" .... and since day one everyone has guessed I'm having a girl, not one single person has guessed a boy.....

but the creeper at Lowe's yesterday takes the cake.... as he walked passed me asked me if I needed an epidural. My SIL and DH were with me and SIL turns around and goes "NO, why the heck would she need that?! Do you know what an epidural is?" and he's goes "yes, that's why I was asking, she must be ready to have the baby at any moment" and SIL told him "not for another month and NOT here at Lowe's!" I just kept walking, I usually ignore people like that.... he was a *******!!

May 28th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A woman I'd never spoken to at Fiona's dance school yesterday came up to me and said, "Are you EVER going to have that baby? You've been pregnant for about 2 years straight!" Turns out she was mistaking me for another woman with red hair. 'Cause you know...we all look exactly the same.

The other day when I was taking Fiona to her doctor for a check up, a woman in the elevator told me that she wished many blessings for me and the good fortune of having a son.

May 28th, 2013, 12:22 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a lady at Home Depot the other day tell me that my baby was going to fall out. Uh, thanks? He hasn't even dropped! Haha.

My across the street neighbor came running outside on Sunday when my husband and I got home from running some errands and she goes "you're expecting!!!" And I was like "yes, I am". And she said that she had seen us having boxes and things going in and out (furniture being delivered/us getting rid of stuff) and she thought we had broken up & one of us was moving out. But then she saw me with a box of diapers the other day and knew we were having a baby. She said, "I kept seeing you and I wasn't sure if you had just eaten too many banana splits." Umm, really!? Who says that!? I see her outside all the time, but I don't really know her very well, even though she's always lived across the street. I wanted to be like "thanks for confirming my fear that I just looked fat for a while!" (Or I guess maybe still do!?) Ugh, people. So rude.
May 28th, 2013, 02:04 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
The whole, oh my gosh you are going to pop. Or #4 do you know what causes that bs

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

May 28th, 2013, 02:17 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We get it must be a boy because of how I am carrying all the time. And you poor thing. I hate the you poor thing statement. Its annoying.

May 28th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved getting "You must be having twins" last week.

People are frickin morons, I swear.

Thanks for telling me what a cow I am.

May 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
[QUOTE="mommyandwife08;27400133"]People always ask if it is my first and when I tell them it is my third they say "wow, you look way to young to be having a third child." /QUOTE]
I get this a ton! I feel like I always have to defend the fact that I am 30 years old and have been married nearly 8 years now.

I am constantly getting comments about how tiny I am for how far along I am. Yes I know I'm thin anyway, but I'm also 5'11" so it's easy to hide any extra weight on a tall frame. Those that know me know that I eat plenty and don't really care how much I gain. Other people seem to look a little concerned
May 28th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I get comments all the time!

Mostly the ready to pop, when's your due date, how much longer or what am I having.

But last week a girl about 20 did pass by me and made a face and said to her friends "omg I hope I don't get that big when I'm pregnant" That one stung a little.

Another woman in the store was telling me how another pregnant woman was in her checkout line and had 10 days to go and was WAY bigger than I am she even asked her if she was having twins... I felt so bad for the other woman.

I can't stand the you poor thing comments either. and someone made a comment after I said it was twins that she hoped it was one of each and when I said no it was two boys she said "oh well you'll love them both just the same anyway" like WTH??
May 28th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Super Mommy
i've never had a stranger comment on my belly until last week..we were at the eye doctors and receptionist looks at me and goes 'oh you must be ready to pop you look so uncomfortable.' i wanted to say 'oh im not pregnant' haha and just mess with her. it was more the ' you look so uncomfortable' comment that annoyed me. i was just walking around looking at eye glasses..yes im terribly uncomfortable but i dont want to hear that i look like that! with my last pregnancy ppl (who i knew) commented all the time that my belly seemed to small for how far along i was and near the end i had a lot of ppl tell me how tired i looked. oh i wanted to cry every time they said that lol.
May 29th, 2013, 02:39 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Some of these comments you ladies are getting are terrible!! What is wrong with people? I know that with my first pregnancy I looked awful at the end. I was swollen everywhere, gained too much weight, had dark circles under my eyes from not sleeping but no one said a word to me about my appearance (thankfully). Why can't that be the case with everyone?
bribugg13 and KellBell2621 like this.
May 29th, 2013, 04:44 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
^^^ I know right?! Every time I read a new one, I think it can't get worse! With Connor, it was the total opposite because I carried him so low I guess....people always made the comments about how small I looked...it's definitely different this time ha ha!

May 29th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yea the "oh you poor thing you look miserable or you look like your gonna fall over" comments I'm over them!! My response is usually well I'm sure glad I fell way better than I look...as*holes!! News flash that does not make a person feel good about themselves.
KellBell2621 likes this.

May 29th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Rochelle
No one has been super rude to me but I don't get out much. The other day at my mom's church I had a moment with a couple of older people. They are both nice and everything but it irks me when people say to me "Looks like you're going to have that baby any time now" and when I say "No, I have a month to go" They say "That's still anytime now". So, I explain that "no, I always go overdue so I highly doubt things will be any different this time" and they get visibly annoyed that I don't want to agree that baby will be here anytime.

There are some women who don't have a problem carrying their baby's past the duedate. I don't like to be clumped into this group of "all pg women think and do exactly the same things". Same thing goes for when they say to me "you must be miserable by now". No actually, I'm doing really well. I'm not going to sit here and complain about a normal, healthy pg when there are others who don't get that luxury. I am, of course, uncomfortable but I don't tell strangers that.

I guess my point is that I want to convey a "happy to be pg" vibe and not a "Get this baby out of me at all costs" thing. This may be my last and I want to enjoy it.

oh AND the one church lady said she knows it will be soon bc the baby appears to have dropped. Well, that's awfully funny considering it's completely untrue. My baby is breech and dances on my cervix. No dropping here.

Last edited by 4hearts; May 29th, 2013 at 07:34 AM.
May 29th, 2013, 09:52 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Working with the public every single day I get all sorts of doozies...I'm convinced that people just don't think before they speak. Lately I've been getting tons of the "you still haven't had that baby?" and "oh I bet you are so ready to be done". My favorite was a client the other day who said "you weren't nearly that big the last time I was in here!" Well no $hi7! That's kinda how pregnancy works...

Even though my coworkers aren't strangers, they do annoy me regularly though with their constant reminders of how much bigger my belly is this pregnancy than it was with Kiefer. I'm fully aware of how much bigger my bump is this time. I'm also aware that this baby is probably a lot bigger. Don't need to be reminded on a daily basis.

Lastly, I also get the crazy looks when I tell people it is my 3rd. I feel like I'm constantly defending myself when I really shouldn't have to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search