Birth Control?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2013, 10:07 AM
MommaMandaPanda89's Avatar I'm having a Girl!
I remember going in with a close friend when she was having her second child a little over a year ago. She had a c-section and was in the hospital for a few days.
The day they were finally ready to let her leave, they wouldn't finalize her discharge paperwork without finding out what type of birth control she was going to be on...
I found this very odd, but thinking about that has got me thinking...

are you planning on using birth control?
what form of birth control are you considering?
are you against birth control?

*Amanda*

May 29th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband is getting a vasectomy July 1st.
MommaMandaPanda89 likes this.

May 29th, 2013, 10:15 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
That is odd. I am planning on the copper IUD. There are not many options when you are breastfeeding as far as hormonal BC goes and my periods are too unpredictable while nursing and we dont want to have anymore children for a long time if ever we are still on the fence.

May 29th, 2013, 10:36 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH is getting the snip also.

I'm guessing your friend may have had a medical reason they wanted her to be on birth control for cause I have only heard of that happening once. A friend of mine darn near died during each of her three pregnancies and the hospital and doc told her if she didn't opt for having her tubes tied they would make her be on some birth control before she left. Which she wanted her tubes tied anyway so no biggie. But like I said she seriously almost died during each pregnancy.

May 29th, 2013, 10:50 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Yes, but I'm not sure when I'll get it. I had an IUD put in within weeks after Connor's birth (whenever they allow it, at one of my follow up appointments). I will do the same this time around, but may wait awhile. One of my main factors for waiting is if we decide we want to try for a third right away, I may not do any birth control since I'll be EBF'ing and let fate decide!

May 29th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am planning on the Copper IUD as well, which will hopefully get put in at my first PP appointment.

#1, 4, 5, 7
May 29th, 2013, 11:12 AM
MommaMandaPanda89's Avatar I'm having a Girl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
My DH is getting the snip also.

I'm guessing your friend may have had a medical reason they wanted her to be on birth control for cause I have only heard of that happening once. A friend of mine darn near died during each of her three pregnancies and the hospital and doc told her if she didn't opt for having her tubes tied they would make her be on some birth control before she left. Which she wanted her tubes tied anyway so no biggie. But like I said she seriously almost died during each pregnancy.
Her story is long and complicated, but she had her tubes tied and got pregnant, we call her Myla
...maybe that's why?

We couldn't figure out what business of theirs it was to be asking such silly questions... But I can understand what you are saying. Just didn't seem right to me.

I'm glad she didn't die...that's a scary story.

*Amanda*

May 29th, 2013, 11:43 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I got the birth control lecture twice while in the hospital. I personally think it is unethical to coerce a woman to be on birth control she does not want. We are Catholic and follow Church teaching, so we will not use birth control. Breastfeeding usually delays my cycles for about a year and a half to two years, and then we will use NFP to avoid if we decide to.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm getting my tubes tied before I leave the hospital AND DF is getting a vasectomy in July. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting my tubes tied even though he agreed to getting snipped but I have my reasons...we aren't married (although we hope to be someday soon) and I know that no procedure is absolutely 100% guaranteed. I absolutely want no more children under any circumstances and I have had awful complications with birth control pills, shots, and iud's so it just seems to me that optin to have my tubes tied is the most reasonable and responsible thing for someone as fertile as me to do.

May 29th, 2013, 12:23 PM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
I was really happy with my iud that I got after dd, but since I had an eptopic pregnancy while having the iud my dr says that I shouldn't use them again.
I was originally just going to get my tubes tied or something of that sort, but as it gets closer I keep thinking... what if we want another in the future? So... I think I'm going to go with the implant bc.
May 29th, 2013, 01:37 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My options are very limited because of the clotting disorders. We used FAM in the 2 years after Bourne and that worked well for us, especially since EBF delayed my cycle for a year. We will continue with that until we decide if our family is complete. I am pretty sure it is, but I am just not ready to make it permanent yet.
May 29th, 2013, 02:20 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am getting the copper IUD at my 6 week PP checkup

May 29th, 2013, 03:06 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I was asked multiple times but it was because I had a c-section and they want you to wait at least a year before getting pg again. We have 0 plans for that though. Dh is getting the big V and I'm getting the paraguard at 8wks pp.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
May 29th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
I personally think it is unethical to coerce a woman to be on birth control she does not want. Breastfeeding usually delays my cycles for about a year and a half to two years, and then we will use NFP to avoid if we decide to.

I agree with this. I would have a HUGE problem if they hassled me about BC. We're not Catholic but we do use the natural family planning.

We are against BC for our family but couldn't care less what others do with their reproductive organs. We just try to stay natural so altering things or taking synthetic meds or devices are against our ideals. Also, cutting and snipping are too final for us as we may go on to have one more bebe.
May 29th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH is going to get the V. However, this is not effective for a while (need to do follow up to ensure it worked). In the interim I will probably take the pill. (there are certain ones you can take while BF).

May 29th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will just have dh hold a foot again that did the trick for awhile But in all seriousness we will just do nfp bc birth control and me don't do well.

May 29th, 2013, 05:53 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After DD, I tried to get Mirena, but apparently my uterus isn't thick enough for an IUD. The risk of perforation was too high. I was pumping, so hormone bc was out of the question. I was offered the minipill but was informed if it wasn't taken at the same time every day, the chances were high that it wouldn't work. Since I knew I probably couldn't be that good with it and that DH would assume it was fine, I skipped it altogether. We used condoms (much to his dismay) until I stopped pumping. Then I went back on the regular pill, which made drying up bearable. That did the trick until we decided we wanted to TTC this time. Will prob repeat.

May 29th, 2013, 07:50 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Condoms. Hormonal birth control is not a good option for me and I am a little scared of the copper IUD to be honest. I'm not quite ready to do anything more permanent, but eventually DH will get the snip.
May 29th, 2013, 09:27 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We'll probably go with condoms. I don't want to have another child for a couple of years at least and hormonal bc makes me crazy. So, condoms it is. I know they probably aren't my husband's favorite, but I know he agrees I'm extra crazy and mean on bc, so I think he'd rather me act normal. Haha.
May 29th, 2013, 09:49 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
NFP has always worked really well for us. BF kept my cycles at bay for 19 months last time. Hormonal BC makes me crazy and I never want to DTD when I'm on it anyway, so there isn't much point. DH will likely get snipped since we're pretty sure we're done, but we're waiting to make that decision until we're out of the infant phase with Henry. I like knowing exactly what's going on with my body because I have long/irregular cycles so I'll be charting again as soon as they come back.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search