Another BF question!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By zkat
  • 4 Post By Kyla0709
  • 1 Post By 8miraclez
  • 2 Post By MerinSun
  • 2 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2013, 03:40 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies,
I just had a couple breastfeeding questions. Grayson is already nursing a total of about 40 minutes at a time, every two hours. Is it normal for him to eat this much already?

Also it feels like he might be comfort nursing some too because it feels like he is kinda "chomping" for a few minutes every little bit too. But this is making my nipples pretty sore already. How long did it take for your nipples to toughen up?

I met with a LC yesterday and she showed me how to get a good latch, but it still hurts when he gets going. Is this something I am doing wrong? Any things you found soothing for sore nipples? There is no bleeding or cracking yet...

Thank You so much in advance for any advice!

May 29th, 2013, 03:50 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think some soreness is normal. I used Lanolin liberally to help protect them.

The timing sounds about right. The constant sucking is what causes your breast to produce more milk and is what will stabilize your supply to his needs. Every 2-3 hours from the beginning of one feeding to the beginning of the next is right on target for the first week.
May 29th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Super Mommy
Your situation sounds completely textbook I agree, the comfort nursing encourages your milk ducts to make more. And if he loses some birth weight, DON'T let them con you into thinking you need to supplement. They tried that with me and I spent an entire night fretting about it, until I did some research. As for soreness, that's pretty normal, too. Just make sure he's take in enough of the nipple each time he latches and you should be feeling less soreness in a week or less.
May 29th, 2013, 04:17 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
If it hurts a lot, it might be a bad latch. You actually want to get as much aereola in his mouth as possible. If you just get the nipple in, it will hurt and not much milk will come out.
Timing dound about right though. My kids nursed every hour, all the time, until I had a good supply built up. It does slow down but the first 12 weeks are like another trimester of pregnancy.
4hearts likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
May 29th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The timing sounds perfect! Be prepared, though: Clusterfeeding will be happening any day now and you will feel like you're going crazy. This is where I would introduce babywearing and side nursing (if you haven't already). And remember that if it becomes too much and you feel that you need 5 minutes to be a person yourself (with no one touching you or talking to you, etc) then don't feel guilty to unlatch and hand the baby over to someone to bounce around, especially when the baby switches to comfort nursing. This is a great bonding opportunity for dad and grandparents.

Here is a youtube video that GREATLY helped me. I modified it by keeping my pointer finger pressing down on Alex's chin to defeat the clamp-biting reflex. Within a day the soreness began to decrease and my cracked nipples began to heal. It shows you how to do a deeper latch so when/if the baby randomly bites down they're just getting breast tissue.

The Flipple:
The "flipple" technique (aka "extended latch" or "exaggerated latch") - YouTube
zkat and 4hearts like this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 29th, 2013, 06:02 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mustela Nursing Comfort Balm is AWESOME. It doesn't have to be washed off and it is so much more soothing than lanolin. The lanolin is so thick that I found it painful to spread onto already sore nipples. The Mustela is a cream. It feels cooling when it goes on and the texture so much more soothing. I HIGHLY recommend it.

May 29th, 2013, 10:04 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the tips. I have already had one nurse suggest to supplement him on formula because he has lost 8 oz but I told her I really didn't want to do that.
Karen78 and 4hearts like this.

May 29th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Super Mommy
Way to stand your ground! Remind those people that babies can only hold 5-7ml at one day old (that's only the size of a marble!) .75-1oz of milk on day 3 (shooter marble) and on day 7 just 1.5-2oz of milk (a ping pong ball!) As long as his blood sugar is doing fine he will gain it back in no time. So if they suggest that he needs supplementation tell them if it makes them feel better to check his blood sugar. It can take up to 5 days or longer for full milk production to come in (it did for me!) Just keep nursing him on demand, make sure he's latching well each time and you won't have a problem. It takes some crazy perseverence sometimes, but you can do it!
May 29th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, and remember he won't have as many wet/dirty diapers as a formula fed baby. I had a nurse get upset about that with Alex.
4hearts likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 30th, 2013, 06:16 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
A good suggestion right now is as much skin to skin contact as possible. So when he's not nursing, keep him on your bare chest. Definitely nurse on demand for as long as he wants, as often as he wants.
4hearts likes this.
May 30th, 2013, 08:03 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate the supplementing push!!!!! Its sooo sticken annoying to have to fight the nurses and doctors about it! I did end up doing it a tiny bit ( I think she had like 4ounces total) with Felicity because I was worried about her jaundice and wanted it to pass as quickly as possible. But, once my milk was in and she was eating I threw out that formula! I wish I hadn't had to do that.

Anyway, I wanted to add. If you have a bad latch it hurts...but even with a good latch it hurts at first for me and my nipples are still abit sore after a week and half. The pain goes away after she gets a good start which means she is getting enough of the nipple in there. Don't let him keep nursing if it is a bad latch, just start again until he gets it right. Its frustrating.

Also, I am feeding on demand with my baby and she cluster feeds. She sleeps for a long time and then wakes up to eat and eat. It is pretty normal..and she comfort feeds but I don't mind if I have the time. It is good for your milk.
May 30th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think 8oz sounds like a big deal. DD lost over 10% of her birth weight (she was born at 7.7 and left the hospital at 6.4). They just wanted her to regain it by a week old.

As far as the latch, it shouldn't be brutally painful (where you're cringing when he latches) but it might feel sore for a couple of weeks. The lanolin does help though. Honestly with DD her latch hurt for quite a long time (over a month). The LC's determined that it was simply a matter of DD having a small mouth and that she would "grow into it". And she did, after what felt like forever! She also loved to comfort nurse and for probably the first couple of months she really nursed every hour for long periods of time. At this point I think long nursing sessions are awesome for signaling your body to make more milk. Once he's just flutter sucking you could unlatch him though, especially if your nipples are a bit sore (I found DD would chomp down accidentally when she was sleepy and flutter sucking and it hurts)

Sounds like things are going really well though!

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
May 30th, 2013, 09:30 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree on that the weight loss doesn't sound drastic. Bourne went from 6 lb 4 oz to 5 lb 10 oz and nobody suggested supplementing with formula. He was also fairly jaundiced and his Pedi told me to keep nursing and as long as the bili decreases, then there isn't a problem.
May 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Rochelle
I agree with all the PP's. It sounds fine and normal. You're doing great!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search