Million induction questions!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok so I read through all of my paperwork last night and it looks like I will start Cervidil around 5pm on the 4th. That stays in overnight and then in the morning they start low dose Pitocin (AHH! so scared of that)

As soon as that starts I have to have a catheter placed. Has anyone else dealt with this? I wasn't aware that I would need one automatically. I knew that they would place before going to the OR incase of c-section due to the twin factor.

They automatically will give me Mylanta, Fentanyl and Zofran. I'm concerned about the automatic fentanyl. Any thoughts on this?

Then my group b was positive and she marked for me to get Penicillin. I'm not allergic but it makes me extremely sick usually for days. Major severe abdominal cramps ( which I probably wouldn't notice during labor) and usually some kind of stomach issues either diarrhea or vomiting. I'm really really terrified of this because I don't want the first few days with the babies to be spent with me sick. This is probably what scares me the most because I know what it does to me and I hate it. To top it off this is such a high does of it I have no idea how much worse will it be than when I've taken it before. Im considering calling and seeing why she marked this even though I mentioned multiple times that it makes me very ill. I see that there are other options but I'm wondering is penicillin more effective than the others?

Any tips or advice on induction? I'm really starting to freak out now.
May 30th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never had the cervadil, only the pitocin. I guess the catheter makes sense because of the c-section possibility but I never had one put in until I had the epidural. The pitocin was upped over the course of 14 hours. The first 8 were bearable but the last 6 were brutal and after 14 I caved and got the epi. Once I was on the highest dose of the pitocin my contractions were coming every 30 seconds, sometimes with no break inbetween at all and I think that was what made it the most difficult to deal with.

I'm not really understanding why you need to get any Fentanyl unless you are requesting it. I was asked multiple times if I wanted Demerol but it was never a requirement to get it. I opted not to because I didn't want to be overly sleepy but still in pain. I'd talk to your doctor about that and about pennicilin since it makes you ill. People are allergic to it, so there's definitely other options available.

Anyway i'm sure none of this post was helpful but wishing you lots of luck and an easy induction!

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
May 30th, 2013, 09:11 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The catheter will likely be because your risk of c section. As far as the penicillin speak up and demand they use another antibiotic. Do not ask them...just demand. Say I refuse to use penicillin it makes me very sick and I know there are tons of other antibiotics that are available. Sometimes you have to be pushy with doctors to get them to listen to you. But remember ultimately they are workingfor you.
As far as the pitocin yes it does stink. I was on it for 24 hours. They steadily increased it over the course over 10 hours and I demanded a shower in exchange for them to be allowed to place a scalp monitor in DD as she wouldn't stay put to monitor using the stomach belt monitor(I'm a total negotiator lol) So I was off the pit for about an hour total. Then back on and they cranked it up. For 12 hours I was on the highest level of pitocin and my contractions were often 30 seconds apart or with no break in between. It was very intense and it was painful...not gonna lie it sucked. But I did do it without an epi or without pain medication. So if you don't want any pain meds or an epi it is all mind over matter. It can be done.
As far as the fentanyl again remember they really can't force anything on you as far as pain meds etc that you don't want. Again just stand up to your Dr. Get mean if you have to. Or have DH get mean for you as far as the fentanyl and penicillian if you can't. And let your DH know all your wishes as well as any other birth supporters and have them play the bad guy role for you in the labor room if need be.
And remember...you sooooo got this Katie. I know you can do it. Don't freak out too bad. Remember its not pain its just work...working toward holding your little boys!

May 30th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I will start Cervidil around 5pm on the 4th. That stays in overnight and then in the morning they start low dose Pitocin
Cervidil is a pre-induction drug. It ripens your cervix. I'm glad they're using that (the kind on a string) instead of a pill piece they place. This means less checks, less irritation, and more rest for you.
Quote:
As soon as that starts I have to have a catheter placed. Has anyone else dealt with this? I wasn't aware that I would need one automatically. I knew that they would place before going to the OR incase of c-section due to the twin factor.
You can refuse this if you want. I have in my birth plan that I want to move around freely. If the catheter equals bed rest then I plan on refusing it.
Quote:
They automatically will give me Mylanta, Fentanyl and Zofran. I'm concerned about the automatic fentanyl. Any thoughts on this?
I, unfortunately, do not have any experience with these drugs that I can recall :\ Ask them a lot of questions what each are for and refuse any that seem to be "extra"
Quote:
Then my group b was positive and she marked for me to get Penicillin. I'm not allergic but it makes me extremely sick usually for days.
Refuse it outright. Call your doctor ahead of time and tell him/her to have it put in your chart. As Mamaskunk says, they are tons of other antibiotics that will work.

Take a lot of stuff to entertain yourself with and try to get a lot of rest Especially during the pre-induction phase. SLEEP!

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 31st, 2013, 05:49 AM
Super Mommy
I agree that the catheder is probably due to the possibilty of a c section, but asking never hurt and if you don't have to have it, you can always request not to.

As for the Fentanyl, I would outright refuse that, personally. I've heard all it does is make you sleepy. I would think the Zofran is for if you need to be wheeled in for a c section so you don't start throwing up.

As for the penicillin, I actually am allergic to it, and it sounds to me like you probably are too. I've been positive for group B twice now and both times the alternative antibiotic they used worked fine. Definitely refuse that. The last thing you want is spending the first few days of your babies life sick as a dog.

Honestly, with the pitocin, having never given birth before, you won't know what an actual contraction is supposed to feel like, so it may not even be that bad. Personally, I have no clue what a real, non pitocin induced contraction feels like, and my labors weren't completely horrible. You really won't know until you're doing it. Plus sometimes, if the Cervadil works like it should and effaces you to 100% you could always request being able to get things moving yourself. Walking around, bouncing on a ball and all that. A lot of times all your body needs is for your cervix to be fully effaced to get things moving. I plan on asking for this if things aren't needed to be hurried along.
May 31st, 2013, 06:03 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never had cervadil before but my induction was 12 yrs ago. I just had pitocin. I BEGGED for a catheter. Every time I would have a contraction while I was en route to the bathroom, I'd pee all over the place. Haha.

I agree with everyone else regarding the Fentynal. They can't give you anything you don't want. You do have patients rights and that's including the penicillin. Have you ever had IV penicillin vs pill form? Sometimes, patients can't have the pill form but can the IV form because the IV isn't actually sitting in your stomach while breaking down and causing irritation. It just straight into the bloodstream. But again, if you feel very strong about not getting it, don't...there are alternative meds they can give you.
Good luck to you!!
May 31st, 2013, 12:25 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I had to be cathed for the ambulance ride, which took 5 hours. It was not too bad, kinda felt like having a UTI but without the "sting" if that makes any sense. Uncomfortable but not painful, although I was not in labor while I had it. I don't see why you would need one just because.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 31st, 2013, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. I had actually been reading some things that it might be the pill form that makes me so sick and that it would be different in the IV. That might have been why my ob marked for me to have it. I'm going to talk to her on Monday as she wasn't in today. I'm ok with it as along as it doesn't make me sick.

I'm going to refuse the fentynal out right. I can't see why she would have put that I would automatically get it as she has always been open with me open pain relief and has never not discussed something with me.

I'm sure the catheter has to do with the possible C-section and OR delivery. I'm just going to ask if I can have it after I have the epi.
May 31st, 2013, 02:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know it is hard. Try to hang in there. Focus on having two beautiful children in your arms. I am not saying it is easy. It is a great reward for hard work.

May 31st, 2013, 10:26 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
All great advice. I am sure its a good idea to sit down with your OB and discuss each indivudal item on the sheet and come up with a plan for each of them. I am so excited for you hun.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search