Explaining the birthing process to the young ones

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By Kalynas_Mom
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 2 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By sunnydaze
  • 4 Post By ashleykathleen
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Rochelle
This morning I was explaining to DD1 that as much as I'd love to do craft after craft with her we really need to get the temporary nursery done bc even though I probably have 4 weeks still, my water could break at any moment and then we'd have no choice but to go to the hossy and get baby out. She understood.

A few mins later DS (almost 6) says "What do you MEAN your water could break?". Thanks to babycenter.com and the diagrams they have and even nifty videos, I was able to explain it to him. Of course, I had to alter things a bit bc of the automatic c/s. But, he did understand and approve.

Any other fun stories of explanations?
May 30th, 2013, 10:05 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a 2 year old, so it is a lot different. Just getting him to understand the concept that there is a baby in my belly that is going to come out has been a process.

This past weekend we went to the Butterfly gardens and he wanted to watch futtewfwies on youtube, so we pulled up a time lapse of a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis . He said "It's hatching!", so we took the opportunity to explain to him that Bodhi is going to "hatch" from Mommy's belly and come home with us. That kind of clicked with him in a 2 yr. old kind of way. He knows baby chickens hatch from eggs and butterflies hatch from cocoons, so it is about as close as we are going to get.
4hearts, rcjh12 and crawmommy like this.
May 30th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Rochelle
I like that zkat. Maybe I can get my 2 y/o to understand that way. She's still in such denial.
May 30th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
DD is 4.5

She came to me the other day and said "Julia told me you have to PUSH the baby out" and I said "Yes exactly". She thought about it for a bit and then said "Does it hurt, like when I push and have diarrhea poo?" hahaha
crawmommy likes this.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
May 30th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Rochelle - I think it is what finally made it all click with him because he lifted up my shirt Monday night and said "Open, bring Bodhi out" He still has no clue how his world is about to be turned upside down, but I don't think there is anyway to fully prepare him for that.
4hearts likes this.
May 30th, 2013, 11:59 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just keep telling DD who is 2 and a half that little brother is going to come out of mommys tummy and right now he is in mommys tummy. That also must have slightly clicked with her cause she keeps grabbing my stomach and shouting "buther (brother) tistin come out now! Come play!" Lol And occasionally when he kicks hard or I have the occasional contraction if i wince or groan or grimace she asks me..."Mommy did tistin hurt you? Tistin come out no hurt mommy anymore!" Lol
zkat and 4hearts like this.

May 30th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think Sebastian is convinced the baby is going to come out of my belly button. I also think I'm okay with that.
zkat likes this.

May 30th, 2013, 01:51 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My kids are well versed in vaginal births. We explained it in kids terms when we were pregnant with Everett. And David needed to know exactly what his testicals were for a few days ago. So yea lol. David cried this morning because he missed his sister being born.

May 30th, 2013, 01:57 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jaleigh has had a million questions this time around about exactly how the baby is going to come out. She saw some puppies being born at her grandma's house and her aunt had a csection not too long ago. So, this has caused her to be very inquisitive about which way our baby will be coming out. Without being graphic, I've been very honest with her about baby coming out the vagina unless there is an emergency and we need to get her out faster.

The other day, I was buying some pads for after delivery and she started asking me why I needed them so I had to go into a discussion with her about how pushing a baby out of your vagina makes you bleed and pads keep your undies from getting messy. She seemed perfectly content and not at all grossed out by my answer.

A lot of people seemed very surprised that we have been so honest with her...the other day, our neighbor was asking Jaleigh if she was excited for the baby to come and what not. She asked J where she was going to stay while "mommy and daddy go have the baby taken out of mommy's tummy". She looked at her like she was an idiot and told her "that's not how baby's are born. My mommy has to push her out of her vagina." I thought my neighbor was going to die of shock.

May 30th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleykathleen View Post
She looked at her like she was an idiot and told her "that's not how baby's are born. My mommy has to push her out of her vagina." I thought my neighbor was going to die of shock.
omg best kid quote ever!!! Lmao. I seriously busted up laughing at this for five minutes and couldn't breathe from laughing and my DH was looking at me like I was a maniac til I reread this to him" omg love little miss J! Hahaha

May 30th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
omg best kid quote ever!!! Lmao. I seriously busted up laughing at this for five minutes and couldn't breathe from laughing and my DH was looking at me like I was a maniac til I reread this to him" omg love little miss J! Hahaha
I agree! I nearly spit water on my laptop!

Karry - I believe your DD is only a month older than Bourne - his birthday is Dec. 7 so we pretty much are dealing with the same things.
MamaSkunk likes this.
May 30th, 2013, 04:25 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I did finally admit to Lily that babies don't come out of my belly button. At 5 I figured it was time. She was like "It comes out of your bottom?!? Like poop?!?" No, there is a different part where the baby comes out that is not where poop or tinkle comes out. She is totally okay with the postpartum bleeding though. She got to witness me gushing onto the floor in the recovery room after Abri, and she'll talk about it constantly. "Mommy does everyone have purple water when they have a baby?" Yes. "I'm never going to have a baby because I don't want that." Okay.
4hearts likes this.
May 30th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
Karry - I believe your DD is only a month older than Bourne - his birthday is Dec. 7 so we pretty much are dealing with the same things.
Yep Jade was born Nov. 8th 2010. God help me the tantrums she throws over not being able to do certain things herself or being told no are killing me!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search