Being induced Thursday (plus a vent)

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By loveneverfails
  • 2 Post By kit.kat.81
  • 1 Post By kit.kat.81

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2013, 10:05 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
At my last OB apt we discussed my options and decided to induce Thurs if I don't go on my own before then. The rationale is that baby is BIG already (8 lbs at 37 weeks!) and I have a patypelloid pelvis shape (my pelvic inlet is wide but shallow, making vaginal birth difficult). Those two things together really put me at risk of a c-section, so the earlier I can have her (read: the smaller she is!) the better my chances of a vaginal birth. Luckily my OB is fully supportive of my trying for a vaginal birth, and she thinks that induction before I go overdue will seriously help my chances. I wanted to avoid induction but still prefer that over a c-section if I can help it, so I agreed. I go in Wed night and get a low-dose cytotec slurry every 2 hours all night to ripen and dilate my cervix. If that doesn't start labor, she'll break my water in the AM and we'll wait to see if that does it. If not, I'll try a low dose of pitocin and we'll go from there.

We've told folks what's going to be happening, and I'm a bit frustrated because I feel like I've had to justify the induction over and over again to people who seem to think I'm being pushed into an unnecessary intervention or something. It upsets me because this was a choice we (my OB, me, and DF) did not make lightly, and one that was discussed in full detail with all risks, benefit, etc disclosed. My OB left the choice up to US and did not push us, just gave us her personal opinion and let us decide. The fact that she's supportive of me trying for a vaginal birth at all is pretty spectacular, considering that mot OBs seem to automatically section you if you have my pelvic shape. She's a wonderful OB who tries hard to avoid sections and interventions so I know if she's telling me this is a wise choice I can trust her on that. As much as I don't want to induce, I want a c-section even LESS and I like that she's going to take a very conservative approach to induction rather than just slamming me with pit or something. Still, people have been giving me some backlash on it and it hurts. I'm trying to make the best choice for me and my baby and having people flip out about how I'm obviously being pressured into interventions and "why won't they just let you give birth like nature intended, it's probably a liability thing, etc" is frustrating. I shudder to think how I'm going to have to defend myself if I DO end up with a section!

Sorry, had to vent.

Either way, I'm just excited that I'll be holding Tegan in less than a week!

June 1st, 2013, 10:29 AM
Rochelle
I'm sorry, that's rough. You are doing what's best for the situation though. You have to go with your gut in the end. If you feel good about this then screw the naysayers. This is coming from someone who isn't real keen on inductions but every situation is different and you are doing a great job, Mama. I too have a strange shaped pelvis though I don't know how exactly. The last OB I had said it like this: II instead of like this: V *shrugs* I never got the xray in between pgs to find out what the issue is but I have to figure there's some reason none of my kids would engage into the birth canal.

Sending you lots of pelvic cooperation vibes dear! I'll be stalking.
June 1st, 2013, 10:31 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do not let other people make you feel bad for making an educated decision on how your going to provide with your birth. It sounds like your OB gave you the facts and choices and let you and your DH decide on your own what course to take. All that matters is that Tegan gets here safe and sound. Even if that's by a C section! You are amazing to try and deliver naturally even though its by being induced and that fact alone makes you a champ. Being induced isn't easy. I hope that all goes well and that you do manage to deliver vaginally like you are hoping for but if it doesn't happen then don't beat yourself up and don't let the rest make you feel bad. In the end your gonna be holding little Tegan and that's what counts

June 1st, 2013, 11:41 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Please don't feel bad. From everything you said it sounds like you are making a very informed decision. I would make the same choice if I was in your situation. You are doing what you think is best for you and baby and no one should make you feel bad for that!
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
June 1st, 2013, 12:38 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Huge hugs Hun. You are making an educated decision and not just blindly following your doctor. I can't wait to see your beautiful baby girl.

June 1st, 2013, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I feel like I am in the same position. Most people keep asking why we are choosing induction at 37 weeks when they will let them go to 38 and it's because I would rather induce and try for vaginal than pretty much be set for a C-section at 38. They are big and there would be concern that I wouldn't contract enough at 38 weeks. Along with prolapsed cord and such with them being so big. Then that would end in an emergency section as well. I'm just not up for that stress and I feel like an induction will hopefully give us all a safe and healthy delivery.

Don't feel bad. You are making a choice for you and your baby on what is right for YOU.
MamaSkunk likes this.
June 1st, 2013, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
People are always going to have an opinion...try to ignore them! You are doing what you feel is right and as the mama it is your choice. F 'em!

June 1st, 2013, 01:31 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have heard a lot of this too about not attempting a vbac. I just politely tell them that due to my risks, it is not an option.

Don't let them get to you. You and DF and your Dr have made an educated decision and that is all that matters. fWIW, my SIL has the same issue and if she doesn't go into labor by 39 weeks, she will also have an induction in an effort to avoid a c section.
June 1st, 2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks so much, ladies. You really made me feel better. I know in my heart I'm making the right choice and I have full faith in my doc. I had another conversation with someone this afternoon who made a judgey comment about induction and said "Well, I just pray you don't end up with an induction AND a c-section, that would be just awful."

Thanks, lady. :eyeroll:

I just told her "You know what? I would love to have a natural, flawless birth. I'd love to go into labor before Thursday and avoid an induction, and I'd love to avoid a c-section. But if I end up with an induction, or I still end up with a c-section despite our best efforts, I'LL GET OVER IT. What I won't get over is a dead baby, so regardless of what happens I'm just grateful I have access to things like emergency c-sections. As long as she's healthy and I'm healthy, I can deal with anything else and how she gets here doesn't matter compared to the fact that she gets here healthy and alive."

Shut her right up!
zkat and MamaSkunk like this.

June 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry that people are giving you are hard time. It is obvious to me that you are making the right choice, anyone who listens to you explain why should understand that BUT you shouldn't even have to explain yourself in the first place!

June 2nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lurking.... I hope you don't mind me commenting on your thread. I was induced as well and mine went as planned. However I have to caution you to please research using cytotec as a labor induction drug. There have been very serious cases of it causing way more harm than good.

A few quick links:

The Freedom to Birth

Misoprostol (Cytotec) for Labor Induction: A Cautionary Tale - by Marsden Wagner, MD, MSPH

I wish you and your little one all the best!

June 2nd, 2013, 10:44 PM
My OB talked to us at length about the cytotec - we're doing a very low dose and it's oral, not vaginal suppository, which greatly reduces the risk of uterine hyper-stimulation and other side effects. I know that there's some controversy about its use but I feel informed and I trust my OB very much, so I'm comfortable with the plan as is. I do appreciate the input though.
zkat likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search