Blood sugar? Do I need to call the Dr.?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2013, 04:40 PM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
So, I had GD with my twins. This pregnancy, failed the 1 hour, then passed the two hour. Well, at my 38 week appt on Thurs. there was glucose in my urine so they did a finger prick and my blood sugar was 186. I figured it was the sweet tea I had had about 1.5 hours before at lunch. Dr. said just try not to have a lot of sugar for the next week until the induction. Thursday night my husband went and got his mom's glucometer so I can keep track of it. Yesterday morning I had cereal and my normal decaf with sugar to see what happened and if it was something that was always going to happen. Check at 2 hours and it was fine: 110. Had a capri sun and piece of candy with lunch, check again after two hours and it was fine: 111. At this point I'm thinking it was just a fluke thing with the tea that day. So, last night we went to dinner and I got tea. After two hours it was a little high: 170. So at this point I'm realizing it's more than likely like when I had GD with the twins; the only thing that gave me issues was soda (and this time sweet tea). This morning had a donut and decaf with sugar, it was fine. Now for my question....I took my daughters to the beach today so we were out and had to get food out, so I thought I was doing something good by ordering a lemonaid (I'm always afraid to order water because I'm worried they'll give me tap water), waited the two hours and my sugar was 233!! Then waited 10-15 minutes and checked again bc the test strips are a little old, it was then 244!! Do I need to call anyone about that? I'm not sure what to do right now, if anything other than just don't drink anything but water from now until Thursday when I'm induced. I thought everything was fine, then find out about this two days ago. I am just really hoping it was caught right when the issue started.
June 1st, 2013, 05:23 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't be drinking anything but water now that you know what happens.
June 1st, 2013, 05:54 PM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
For the last week until I'm done I need to check mine 4 times a day. Drinks affect it badly. Things we think are ok like fruit and juice are super high in carbs. The minute maid just 15 calories juices and lemonades have been great for me they are about 4-5 carbs a serving. I've had lemonade and from fruit punch and my levels were good. I also have had the liquid koolaid water enhancers. The days when I measure high is if I eat breads or starch.

June 1st, 2013, 06:01 PM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
Thanks. I also remembered that after the lemonade I was still thirsty and I had some kind of natural mango juice that my friend had. So that probably had something to do with that high a number. I think that number just freaked me out; I didn't call in, just drinking a lot of water. Now I know, nothing but water. And now I know it wasn't just a weird thing that one day.
June 1st, 2013, 06:31 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The drinks are impacting it more because they have a much higher sugar content. The avg donut is 12grams of sugar, cereal ranges from 5- 20 g depending on what brand. A Tablespoon of sugar has 12 grams

A 32 oz sweet tea can have over 40 grams.

Since your induction is coming up, I would def. watch the carbs and sugar content and stuck with unsweetened drinks until then
laurenicole likes this.
June 1st, 2013, 07:03 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say stick to water and if you really want tea you can brew some green tea and let it cool and you can add something like a little bit of honey or lemon to sweeten it up. I honestly would avoid not only soda but any sweet tea which both are way full of sugar. And alot of juices have a high sugar content also. Orange Juice has a ton of sugar in it.
laurenicole likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search