Question for ladies 35+

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wondering if your doctor has discussed induction by 39 weeks. There is literature going each way as to whether an older lady should go past 39 weeks due to a higher likelihood of placental breakdown. Some doctors really advocate for it. Other doctors have said that at age 39 (just a few months prior to the big 4-0) I am not really of advanced age. I am getting really close to 38 weeks. I need to have a chat with my doctor tomorrow. The thing is that I have to see 5 different docs in my practice. I really want to make the choice that is best for Ellianna. I am ready to be done. However, if making it to 40 weeks gives her better health I certainly can hang in there. If induction at 39 is better for her, get me to the hospital on June 14. I agree that generally a doc should not induce for conveince or comfort. The reality is that some of us ladies really close to 40 have to consider what is optimal for our child.

June 4th, 2013, 12:56 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I can't speak to the age part of it, but my doctor informed me last week that there is a law that is trying to be passed (not sure if this is just in Texas or nationally) that inductions cannot take place prior to 39 weeks unless there is a major medical reason such as baby or mom's health in jeapordy.

I switched doctors in my last month because my doctor retired. My new doctor is younger and said that he grew up in his training this way so he doesn't schedule them prior to 39 weeks but older doctors are more apt to schedule starting at 37 weeks for the normal request of convenience or moms just being miserable in pain and such. I was bummed to hear that just because I am so ready to be done and baby has measured 2 weeks ahead now for the past few ultrasounds. but even that is not a reason for doc to induce.

I hope other ladies have some answers on here regarding the age part of it. Good luck!

~Kristin~
June 4th, 2013, 03:16 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am 38 and my c-section is scheduled for 38 weeks, but I have other factors that are a consideration. If you prefer to avoid being induced, then request a Biophysical Profile to check on baby and placenta. If all is good, no reason to induce.

My dr. has mentioned that there is a greater risk of placenta breakdown the older you get, but with all the modern day testing to check on things, early inducements are not always required now.
June 4th, 2013, 03:39 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My aunt says that unless you or baby is at risk then they should absolutely not induce before 39 weeks.

June 4th, 2013, 04:29 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess136 View Post
I can't speak to the age part of it, but my doctor informed me last week that there is a law that is trying to be passed (not sure if this is just in Texas or nationally) that inductions cannot take place prior to 39 weeks unless there is a major medical reason such as baby or mom's health in jeapordy.

I switched doctors in my last month because my doctor retired. My new doctor is younger and said that he grew up in his training this way so he doesn't schedule them prior to 39 weeks but older doctors are more apt to schedule starting at 37 weeks for the normal request of convenience or moms just being miserable in pain and such. I was bummed to hear that just because I am so ready to be done and baby has measured 2 weeks ahead now for the past few ultrasounds. but even that is not a reason for doc to induce.

I hope other ladies have some answers on here regarding the age part of it. Good luck!
This is happening in many places. Mainly because we have such a high c/s rate in this country. The ACOG recommends a rate much lower and the thinking is that early inductions are leading to many c/s that could have been avoided.

I dont have any answers on age but I agree if you dont want to be induced you could have NSTs done to check on the placenta. There are ways to check on the placenta as you get closer to 40 weeks. But you and your doctor I am sure will come up with a plan that is best for you and your baby. Good luck hun!

June 4th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm considered advanced maternal age and I will be induced at 39w2d. She said she is more comfortable with me being induced at 39 weeks than after my due date. She said for health reasons and because the size of the baby and my strong desire to deliver vaginally.
June 5th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I will have the chat today when I go to the doc. There was a 2012 scientific study in England through their society which is similar to ACOG that found some really valid reasons for induction at 39. Hopefully Ellianna will just decide to come right before then so there is no decision

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search