Let the baby blues begin!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By MarylandMama
  • 2 Post By eshute

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2013, 04:48 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't have an ounce of sadness in the hospital. Only happy tears (except those from pain or exhaustion during labor). We get home yesterday and have a pretty rough night. Baby just won't stop crying. I kept nursing and nursing and nursing and at one point she stopped latching. I thought maybe it was a fluke so we just kept trying to sooth her. I got no sleep. I just cried all night with her.

The visiting nurse came to weigh her today because she had lost more than usual in the hospital. She lost even more and I've started supplementing every feeding. My milk just hasn't come in yet and there's nothing else I can do. I cried about that all morning. Not because breastfeeding has been unsuccessful, but because I hate that my baby has been hungry. I'm also really mad that they didn't keep her at the hospital with as much weight loss as she's had. I've just cried all day about random, stupid things. We have a doctor's appt tomorrow to see if she's stopped losing weight, if she hasn't then she'll have to be admitted to the hospital. I feel so bad that, as her mom, I couldn't even keep her belly full. I'm bursting into tears as we speak. At this point I couldn't care less how she gets fed and if I simply can't breastfeed, then that's fine. I just want her to have a full belly and be happy. On top of that, I think I might be getting an infection near my incision site and I'm still in a ton of pain. I just want to be a good mom.

I know all this is normal, but it still sucks.

June 4th, 2013, 04:51 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs hun. You are a great mom! Do not be so down on yourself!

June 4th, 2013, 05:15 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
You are so strong, you can get through this too!! I hope you don't end up having an infection.
June 4th, 2013, 05:20 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Huge hugs Hun! You are not a bad mom at all. How much weight has she lost? Please kup we are here for you!

June 4th, 2013, 05:25 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The exact same thing happened to me with DD. She screamed the whole first night at home and we couldn't figure out why. I kept trying to feed her, she stopped trying to eat after a while, it was sooooo horrible. All I could do was cry bc I felt like a terrible mom for not being able to figure out what was wring with her. We saw the LC in the morning who told me my milk wasn't in yet and she was ready for more. We supplemented with an oz of formula after each feeding for the next day or so just until my milk came in. That did the trick for her and things were fine once my milk came in. And I felt a lot better once I got more rest. I was just so exhausted from giving birth, being in the hospital, and then not sleeping the first night at home on top of her screaming all night that I couldn't handle it. I was doing much better once I got a bit of rest. I hope the same thing happens for you. I hope you can get some rest, your milk can come in, and things will get better very quickly. Big hugs and hang in there! This definitely won't last.
4hearts and eshute like this.

June 4th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aw I'm sure you are a great momma!!
June 4th, 2013, 06:34 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry you are struggling with some baby blues, Elise. I have been crying over lots of stuff the past couple days as well. These hormones are no joke!

And you are NOT a bad mama for supplementing. Breastfeeding doesn't always come easy and I have two very smart, healthy, formula-fed children Hopefully your milk comes in soon so you can start fully breastfeeding. But you gotta think of your child, which you are doing. THAT is what makes a good mama. You're doing great. Hang in there hun.

June 4th, 2013, 06:55 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs, sweetie! You are not a bad mom! It sounds like you really need some sleep. Have DF take the next feeding and you get a couple of hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Bourne lost 13% of his birth weight in the hospital, and my milk came in in less than 3 days. Our Pedi wasnt worried at all He gained it back and it was one heck of a growth spurt/cluster feeding marathon when he did. Anna is going to be just fine. Sleep is really important for you to heal, so try to get it when you can.
June 4th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You will be a great mama! Don't doubt yourself it just takes a bit to get in your groove. Hugs your way!

June 4th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Rochelle
What they all said! HUGE hugs!!!
June 5th, 2013, 05:02 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! I'm still crying a fair bit, but it's over nothing. Literally nothing. haha. She's doing great now with the 1-2oz of formula after offering the breast. She's sleeping great and is so completely content. I've been trying to get a nap in between the every 2 hour feedings and it's done wonders. I even got a real shower today. My incision looks fine, there's just some redness and a bit of swelling in the tissue around it, so for now I think it's okay until my appt friday. Milk still doesn't seem to be coming in, but Anna is still latching very well (thank goodness I bought breast feeding bottles). We have our appointment with the pedi today to see if the weight loss has stopped, if it hasn't, she'll have to be admitted to the hospital. I'm hoping that since she's been eating at least an oz every two hours, sometimes 1 and a half, that all will be back on track. Prayers are appreciated as always and I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks again for all the encouraging words! I needed them!
zkat and MrsLat like this.
June 5th, 2013, 06:00 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear you are catching a little sleep. Keep chugging the most ridiculous amount of water you have ever drank in your life and it may help your milk.

The crying over nothing is totally normal! I was crying over the Voice last night.
June 5th, 2013, 11:29 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Keep us posted on little Anna after her appointment. I really hope she hasn't lost any more weight. I am glad you are getting some rest! When I had my first, I remember that first couple weeks I didn't get to shower until my BF was home at like 7 at night. But sleep and a shower will do wonders for your mood.

You are doing great!

June 5th, 2013, 12:41 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
glad to hear things are looking up!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search