nipple frustration!!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
First time mommy :)
Ugh, so my nipples are flatter than a board. My right nipple is actually a little bit inverted too, so Axel cannot latch without a nipple shield. I hate these things! They fill up with milk and when he breaks his latch to burp he almost always pulls or bats them off and milk goes everywhere. I put a.cloth under my boob but it somehow always drips down onto my clothes. I have these nipple rings that are supposed to draw my nipples out, but they fill up with milk too and then when I bend over milk pours out of the vents on them! I'm glad I have so much milk but the mess! And I really don't want to use the shields all the time because then what if I never get him latched to my actual nipple? Any nipple tips? I've also been pumping every day in the morning because I wake up and my breasts are so full and painful I need relief. I thought maybe that would help my nipples come out but they are still flat like salamis :-/ blah
June 6th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no advice but I sympathize, as I had the same problem with DD. Somehow I seem to be doing much better with Aidan, but I never really did get the hang of it before. I ended up only nursing until she was 10 weeks old. I hope someone can offer you some advice. Good luck mama

#1, 4, 5, 7
June 6th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Has your lc taught you different latches? Both my nipples are inverted and behave like flat nipples when full. For both of my kids I have had to do a cross hold and then make a u with my free hand under the breast and narrow the breast/areola. Then I place the baby tummy to tummy high up on my chest and a few inches just to the side of the breast. Wait for the mouth to open, latch begins with the bottom lip just under areola and then I bend the baby's head around the nipple kinda like a hinge, starting with the bottom lip. This maneuver pops the nipple out or makes it easier to suck out. It also forces the baby to take in a lot of breast tissue.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 6th, 2013, 12:30 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe try pumping more and see if more frequent pumping pulls them out more? Are you already using the highest setting on the pump when you do it? When I was EP on the highest setting on my freestyle, my nipples stuck out so far from all of the pulling that I had to have extra padding in bras so that they didn't show through, it made them protrude that much. That really is all the advice I have since I really didn't BF at all, just pumped.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search