How much and how often? (feeding questions)

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SassySami
  • 1 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Super Mommy
When I went to take Brooke for her well visit at the pediatrician, I asked the doctor how much and how often should she be eating. He said every 2-3 hours and to wake her up during the day to feed her that often. WELL, my little princess is a chow hound! LOL She seems to want MORE then just 2 or so ounces. Should I give her more if she wants it or should I make her stop after 2 ounces? I know babies stomachs are tiny but if she wants it shouldn't I give her more?

Also shouldn't I wait for her to let me know when she is hungry instead of waking her up that often? Sometimes during the day she will sleep for 4 hours and I hate to wake her up but if she was hungry wouldn't she let me know?

Even though I have an 8 year old it seems all the "rules" are different these days and I am getting SO confused LOL!
June 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I never wake a baby to eat. Babies bellies are so tiny, 2oz should be just fine for her. She may need something to suck on, newborns need to suck.
navywifey2003 and Karenna like this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

June 6th, 2013, 04:49 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only reason I woke up Morgan in the middle of the night is to relieve my engorged boobs. Now she's waking up all on her own. Oops. Guess I should have started pumping.

June 6th, 2013, 05:08 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also subscribe to the "never wake a sleeping baby". If she is hungry, she will let you know. Formula fed babies don't always eat as often as BF babies because BM breaks down very quickly.

The best way to gauge if she is getting enough is number of wet and dirty diapers and is she growing.
navywifey2003 likes this.
June 6th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You don't have to wake them up once they've gained back their birth weight, after that then let them sleep. And 2oz is just fine, you don't wanna over feed, specially formula. It'll make your baby fat lol

June 6th, 2013, 06:33 PM
First time mommy :)
I've tried to wake my son for feedings....no luck! He is on his own schedule already and eats just about every 3 hours. I let him eat as much as he wants, mostly because I pray he drains both boobs or else they hurt terribly. But I let him eat when he's hungry and stop when he's full :-)
June 6th, 2013, 06:45 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also agree on the never wake a sleeping baby. I never did with DD and she slept good and gained weight fine and I got more sleep by letting her wake me up instead.

June 7th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you ladies so much!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search