My baby does not sleep at all at night unless held all night long

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By D&K's_mama
  • 2 Post By BeccaMenk
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Help! My son will not sleep at night. I am not talking about him waking up every few hours I mean after 10 once he is awake he is awake and super fussy until 2 am. The only way I can get him to sleep is to hold him the whole night whether we sleep on the couch or on my bed. I am so worried about him getting sides or suffocating him even though I can't move while holding him. When I am holding him he is usually ion his side or stomach not on his back. He refused to sleep in the bassinet or his sleeper even though in the day he has no problem with it.
I expected I would be up every few hours with a newborn, but not all night nor did I expect that he has to be held constantly at night. Even if I wait 10-15 min while he falls asleep as soon as I move him to his sleeper or bassinet he is wide awake and crying. Not a quiet whimper either.
June 6th, 2013, 06:08 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
maybe it's some sort of reflux? If he doesn't like laying down flat, maybe try a swing or the car seat, something that will allow him to recline slightly.

Will he sleep if he's laying down next to you in your bed, or just if you're holding him? I fell asleep numerous times while nursing Connor in my bed, it was never a heavy sleep, the slightest movement from him or myself and I was wide awake. Try not to let it worry you if you're having to sleep with him for awhile, it can be done perfectly safe with no harm to him!

June 6th, 2013, 06:29 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bedshared with DD as an infant til she was 6 months. She just slept better being held by me. I did sleep soundly but I was aware of her and her movements. I slept on my side with her cradled in the crook of my arm. Never had a problem. I made sure no blankets were over her face or pillows near her. Lots and lots of moms bedshare nowadays. A lot of the advice to have baby sleep in the crib or bassinet is more of an old school thought now. Could just be that your little one feels more secure having you nearby.
bribugg13 likes this.

June 6th, 2013, 06:44 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say any wayyou can get sleep take it! It may not be ideal or the way you planned but in the beginning it may take you a bit to figure out baby's quirks, likes and dislikes! All 3 of my kids so far have been different. My first would only only sleep if he was in the bed with me, my second always slept in her bassinet or crib and was a great sleeper! My third slept in her swing until she was just to big and now sleeps with me. From all the sleep deprivation ive been thru I'm cool with whatever works in the beginning. Because an exhausted mama makes for some long hard days.
bribugg13 likes this.

June 6th, 2013, 07:22 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
i used to sleep on the couch with DS on my chest for the first few weeks
it sucked but it helped us get some rest
he had mild reflux and everytime he was flat he would puke
spent a lot of nights in his bouncy chair or swing

June 6th, 2013, 07:22 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are safe ways to bed share. Here is an article on it. Safe Co-sleeping Habits | Ask Dr. Sears®

If you prefer not to co sleep - are you swaddling? Like the others, have you tried a slight incline or swing in case it is reflux? Are you BF or FF? Your baby has been curled up listening to your heart beat for 9 months. That is what is soothing to them. Anything else is very foreign and unfamiliar.
June 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice. We are swaddling. He is getting bottle fed with breast milk. In the day he sleeps fine in his playyard or the sleeper it is just at night when he doesn't want them. The only problem with sleeping with him is not being able to get up and pump. Last night I was so tired and once he was asleep I didn't want to wake him up so when I woke up I had leaked through my bra, breast pads, and t-shirt.
June 7th, 2013, 03:03 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
We also co sleep, so much easier. He may just be a baby that needs extra attention at night. Some babies have witching hours. Is he crying? throwing up? arching back while eating?

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

June 7th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you got one of those precious bundles of "sleeps when held" only babies. As the other mothers have already stated, I would try the swing.

I am not comfortable bedsharing with my kids (doesn't mean I love them any less!) and I know I would never be able to sleep with newborn in my bed.

June 7th, 2013, 07:01 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I co-slept with my son until he wanted his own space ( around 8 months) and now we are doing the same with DD. So many doctors and such try to scare moms into thinking it is soo dangerous to co-sleep, but there is so much evidence to the contrary too. The risk of SIDs is actually much less with a co-sleeping baby. Everyone is different but it seems so natural to me. Your baby spent all those months warm and snuggles inside of you..and now that they out it makes sense they want to stay with you. I think the risk of rolling on them or something can be real, but I also think most moms ( provided you aren't like drunk or on pain meds or something else that makes you sleepy) are so in tune to their baby naturally that they won't roll on them or what not. I know I would spend so much more time awake worrying about SIDs and such if my baby wasn't with me.

That said, everyone has their own way...but sleep is so important for you right now and I would take what you can get. Pumping is tough though!
navywifey2003 and ltemp45 like this.
June 7th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran
Sounds just like my 1 week old. Last night he spent most of the night in his crib in between feedings. But that's the first night, rest of the nights were me and DH holding him. Sounds to me he's mixed his days and nights up. What I did is I put him in his crib wide awake in the day and played with him and walk out for a min or 2, then came back in and talked/played with him and did this for an hour a couple times a day to get him to feel safe in his crib and assure him I'm nearby.. Then at night I put him in his crib and didn't talk to him or play with him. I soothed him to sleepiness then walked out and of course he would fuss 10-20 minutes after I left, but I just soothed him by rubbing his back and head and repeated this till he was asleep for good. This took repeated trips to the nursery by me so lots of patience. I also swaddle him with one of those swaddling blanket but at night only. If he wakes up really fussing then I hold him for the rest of the night since he obviously needs contact with me which is completely normal at their young age. We shall see what happens tonight. I love snuggling my son, so don't get me wrong but I am so paranoid about smothering him I get no sleep if he's in bed with me and DH. Also, during the day I keep the blinds open and the door wide open and at night the room is dark aside from a nightlight and door closed to mute my 3 year old running down the hall. This helped him get his nights and days straight. It takes time and I'm sure I haven't spent my last night awake in the rocker with him, but its a start.

Last edited by Brie289; June 7th, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
June 7th, 2013, 11:07 AM
May 2013 Cohost
How often does he feed during the day? Try waking him to feed more often during the day, like every 2-3 hours, so he tanks up before the night. How often do you feed him between the hours of midnite and 7 am? Just curious. Could he be cluster feeding or growing through a growth spurt?
June 10th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
How often does he feed during the day? Try waking him to feed more often during the day, like every 2-3 hours, so he tanks up before the night. How often do you feed him between the hours of midnite and 7 am? Just curious. Could he be cluster feeding or growing through a growth spurt?
He eats every couple of hours. The last few nights he has had a more regular newborn sleep schedule. I think he may have stomach issues. Everyone has trouble burping him and sometime when he is sleeping he gets these grimaces that make it look like he is in so much pain. When he relieves gas that is when the grimace goes away.
June 11th, 2013, 12:08 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD went thru a 2 week period where from 2 am to 4 am she would just cry and cry. I was supplementing with formula at the time as I had a lot of supply issues due to she wouldnt latch. Anyway the formula was causing her excess gas which went away after we changed it. But during that time I learned an amazing burping trick that also helps their sore tummies feel better. Its a trick I've seen work for lots of babies since then as well. Place baby tummy down on your lap so that their little tumny is pressed against your leg and place a hand on their back and lightly bounce your knee while patting and rubbing their back. The pressure on their tummy combined with being face down and normal back burping works like a charm.
Also I'd switch to using a Playtex vent aire bottle which will help prevent a lot of the air getting into little ones tummy.

June 11th, 2013, 03:22 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
If you think it's a gas issue, try gas drops or gripe water before bed
bribugg13 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search