Binky and breastfeeding

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Karen78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2013, 03:33 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sigh. I broke down today and bought binkies for 11 day old Morgan. She has been cluster feeding pretty much since day one. If she isn't dead asleep or attached to my boob she is crying. If she falls asleep and I put her down, half the time she wakes up with in 10 minutes, rooting and fussing like she hasn't eaten in hours. DH feels bad because he can't even console her long enough for me to take a shower. I feel awful about it because I keep reading how bad it is to introduce artificial nipples in the early days of breastfeeding, but I think my sanity is in jeopardy at this point. Please someone tell me that I haven't ruined my breastfeeding experience.

June 9th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We actually introduced the paci on day one (shame shame, I know!) and we haven't had any nipple confusion at all. He'll take it sometimes but he knows that nothing comes out so he still very much loves the boob.

#1, 4, 5, 7
June 9th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I know that one of the keys to making this work is making sure she continues to eat on a regular basis so I don't hurt my supply. Glad things are going well for you. That makes me feel a lot better.

June 9th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My fingers are crossed for you that it doesn't hurt your supply. I'm sure it'll work out great! :-)

#1, 4, 5, 7
June 9th, 2013, 04:30 PM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I gave my first son a paci on day 3 - he was exactly how Morgan is. CONSTANTLY wanting to nurse. I couldn't take it, so I gave in. And we nursed for 9 months, no problems. (Would have been longer but my job took it's toll on my supply). So, the second kid, we also gave it pretty early and he nursed for 18 months.

Sounds like she's well established with nursing, and as long as you're not using the paci to substitute for feedings, she'll probably be fine.

June 9th, 2013, 05:21 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Im sure it will be fine hun. I think nursing seems to be pretty established at this point.

June 9th, 2013, 08:19 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had to give Grayson a pacifier after feeding because if I left it up to him he would be permanently attached to the boob. After he has nursed for his full 20 minutes and is basically just chomping, I give it to him. I just have made sure to let him nurse first and so far it hasn't caused any problems.

June 9th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I wouldn't stress about it. I had to give Conrad a pacifier at 3 days old because he's constantly sucking his fingers and scratching up his face. That and the fact that he wanted to use me as a pacifier too. Which is ok....LATER. But when my nips were starting to get scabbed and blistered, I gave in. It hasn't interfered with BF at all. His face is healed up, and so have my nips.

Screw the stupid books. You gotta do what you gotta do.
hilachu and TeresaV like this.

June 9th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Super Mommy
Both my boys took pacis when they were babies. Even straight from the beginning and it never hurt my supply any. They tend to spit it right out when they're truly hungry I've found. I do plan on using it this time around too, depending on whether or not he needs it. My second wasn't too interested in it, we barely used it after a couple months, and gave it up entirely around 6 months. My first used it until after he was two, however. Really, I think being able to have your body to yourself for a few minutes is worth giving them a paci.
June 10th, 2013, 11:16 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't worry, honestly. Anna is being supplemented with formula, which means she gets a bottle. I still try to nurse her to get my milk to come in, and we had to start using a paci the other night because she'd root and fuss, but then spit out her bottle. She just needed some comforting which newborns get from sucking. She's doing just fine. She still latches and sucks furiously on the breast, she takes her bottle just fine, and when she needs the paci she does fine with that.
June 10th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You should be fine, don't worry. I gave baby Ariana the binkie at 3 days old and she is still breast feeding like a champ, she didnt get confused at all. Binkies are a life saver so don't feel bad at all. You're doing a great job

June 10th, 2013, 03:22 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This thread makes me feel better bout giving my baby a paci a lil earlier..I waited a while before I gave dd a paci and drove me insane not having anything to pacify her when I needed it!! I never knew nothing about this with my first 2 and only had a problem with my first one nursing and that was due to the nurses giving him a bottle before he ever nursed! I think we just need to do what works for baby and us!

June 10th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. She's doing fine. She isn't terribly interested in the binky most of the time, but she'll usually suck on it for a few minutes. No BFing issues. She knows where her food comes from.

June 10th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wish mine would take a binky...he sucks on it once, makes a face and spits it out. It would give me a much needed break if he would take one....

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search