Madeline Mckinley Overlin 6/7/13 9lbs 12oz

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By 4hearts
  • 1 Post By Kyla0709
  • 1 Post By Hopeful2BMommy
  • 1 Post By Christina642
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By MrsLat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2013, 04:58 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Madeline was born on June 7th and weighed 9 pounds 12 ounces. I was induced that morning around 8 a.m. and she was born at 5 pm. I labored naturally until I was almost fully dilated and then opted for the epidural I want to find out I was already 10 centimeters and the baby was coming. I pushed about 4 times and she was born. My midwife told me that they had seen that I had some problems with my placenta having an extra piece to it that may require some patients in getting out she told me this before we started the induction. I was not too concerned. After Madeline was born the placenta turned out to be a pretty big problem. Theplacenta did not detach and I suffered a hemorrhage I lost lots of blood. They had to manually remove the placenta and I did not tolerate the loss of blood very well. My blood pressure dropped significantly to less than 70 over 40and I became very sick with vomiting and almost passing out. I ended up being moved to a high risk unit where they were monitoring my hemoglobin. My hemoglobin dropped down to 6 from 12. I had to have a blood transfusion the following day. I also had to have many rounds of antibiotics in case there were any retain placental fragmentsleft that would cause infection. We also had to stay an extra day because Madeline have lost more than 10 percent of her body weight. Since coming home it has been so hard. I have very little energy I am breastfeeding is proving to be a very big challenge for us. My milk supply was affected by all the medical interventions and Madeline and I are having trouble getting a good latch. I'm having cracking and bleeding on my nipples and she does not want to stay awake to feed very well. Today I have been very emotional and frustrated. I am trying to breastfeed but I also have to supplement in order for her to get what she needs and that is causing me to feel very upset. I'm sure I am experiencing some postpartum blues as well. I just wanted to keep you guys updated and if you have any encouragement where the birthday thing is concerned or tips I would love to hear it.

*breastfeeding thing* sorry I am using my voice to text feature and it gets the words mixed up

June 12th, 2013, 06:23 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations on your little girl! I am so sorry you have had such a difficult time since. I have no idea what to suggest on the nursing situation except to say that you are awesome for having been through so much and still sticking with it. BIG hugs to you! I hope you're feeling much better very soon. Keep us posted on how you are doing! I will be praying for you and Madeline.
overlinmommy17 likes this.

June 12th, 2013, 06:38 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Congrats!!!! A friend of mine had some issues with bleeding and retaining placenta. She also had to supplement a little at first because it took almost a week for her milk to come in. But, she was able to get through it and ended up nursing/pumping for a year. Try not to get discouraged- it can be done. I hope things get easier for you soon!
June 12th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Rochelle
but I am truly sorry for your experience. I will be thinking of you and hoping things get better.
June 12th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Super Mommy
Congratulations on your baby girl! First, I would look at your iron intake, since you say you have very little energy, and also because you lost so much blood. Eat a steak, or other red meats, liver is pretty nasty but super rich in iron among other nutrients. You can make hamburgers, grind up the liver and mix with ground beef, you probably won't notice it. Protein is SUPER important in keeping up energy levels. As for your milk coming in, I would eat some oatmeal, something about it makes supply very abundant, also hops in general can be very helpful. Have a beer. There's this drink my cuban friend swears by, it's called Malta, and they sell it everywhere, look in the hispanic section. Another thing that always helped me, I am so glad I came by this trick because it saved me a lot of frustration. My second was a VERY hungry baby and had a hard time waiting until my milk finally let down. I noticed it took me MUCH longer to let down if I was feeling very frustrated or upset. I would take a huge deep breath and let him do his thing until I finally felt myself letting down. It helped tremendously. If she's falling asleep during nursing, try taking her clothes off first, or maybe even putting a fan on you while you nurse. The cooler air will help her to stay awake, but she won't get too cold because she's next to you. I hope you catch a break soon, hugs.
June 12th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you had to go through that. Praying that you continue to feel better.
Congrats on your baby. Hope to see pictures soon!
June 12th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm lurking but wanted to say congrats on the baby. I have had big babies like you and understand the frustration with BF. I would suggest getting a nipple shield to help with your sore nips. Also try pumping for a few in between feedings. It will help bring your milk in a little bit faster. Undress the baby first before trying to feed like others said it will help keep her awake. Fenugreek is a great herb to get your milk supply up. You will smell like maple syrup with it though. A beer or oatmeal are great for milk supply. I believe the darker the beer the better. I hope things improve for you.

June 12th, 2013, 09:49 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Huge hugs Hun! I am sorry you had to experience that. I will be praying for your recovery!

June 13th, 2013, 11:14 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So happy to hear from you and congrats on your beautiful baby girl I am so sorry it was such a rough delivery. I hemmorhaged also, but nowhere near as severe as you did
I hope the breastfeeding gets better and also your baby blues... hang in there. I will keep you in my thoughts!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search