Tips for labor?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By SassySami
  • 2 Post By Kyla0709
  • 3 Post By Kim3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are your tips for someone who didn't take any birthing classes??
June 13th, 2013, 09:04 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Listen to your body.. Stay off your back, move move move Stand your ground!
navywifey2003 likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

June 13th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Super Mommy
Seriously, pay very close attention to your instincts. Read up a little on optimal birth positions, even if you end up getting an epidural, the nurses and your DH can help you into a more favorable position. Don't be afraid to question things, this is your body, baby and birth experience, you deserve to know what plans are going to be put into action if complications arise. You really won't know what helps pain management wise for your own personal self until you're actually in labor. Bring what you think you might want. A birth plan isn't a bad idea, but just writing down a few birth preferences might work out better, you can post it up on your white board in your room and every nurse can just skim over it quick without having to read a page or more.
June 13th, 2013, 09:32 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Know what kind of labor you want, but be prepared to be flexible, if need be. Sometimes things don't happen the way you would like and you have to go a different route than you had originally planned. Be used to the idea that just in case things can't happen the way you want, it's still ok. All you need to be focused on is the best way to get your baby into the world. (For ex, I had planned for NCB with DD, but since my water broke first and contractions weren't coming, they had to induce them, which led to really prolonged extreme pain, and I ended up getting an epidural bc I was worried that, as long as it was taking for me to dilate, I wouldn't have the strength to push when it was time and I would end up with a c-sec. So very much not my plan, but I made a sacrifice to at least ensure a vaginal delivery.)

As far as during labor, make sure you're breathing during contractions and not holding your breath and tensing up. That will actually make them more painful. Ask your DH to keep an eye on you and remind you to breathe if you need him to. Walk and move around during labor as much as you can to use gravity in your favor to shorten your labor. And, as someone else mentioned, try different positions. And trust yourself. Women have been having babies since Eve and childbirth classes are fairly new in the scheme of things. You'll do great.

June 13th, 2013, 09:54 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Ditto the above posts. I can't say trust your body and listen to it loud enough. Payson's labor while short was my least painful because I didn't get tense. You are going to do great Hun!

June 13th, 2013, 10:09 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
I would say change positions often, relax as much as you possibly can, and keep your breathing calm and steady.

June 13th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved my epidurals all three times I am not against anyone going without one. However, if you want an epidural - it is fine.

June 14th, 2013, 07:32 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was dead set on a natural childbirth, but ended up getting an epidural after 24ish hours of induced labor. It was the best decision I made. Your body will guide you. We are made for this. I agree that relaxing is very important. Trust your body, and while it's important to be your own advocate regarding your wishes, realize the need to be flexible. Sometimes things don't go the way you planned (it didn't for me). Don't beat yourself up over things not going as planned.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search