Some post delivery tips.

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By Kim3
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
After delivering for a third time, I thought I would post some personal tips. Everyone is different - just some things I have learned that worked for me. Hope it helps someone:

1) Some hospitals will provide ice pads and warm pads. They are sanitary pads that you twist to activate the cool or heat. When they bring a couple into your room - pack a couple in your going home bag. (Mainly the warm ones). They feel so good after moving a little too much at home. I cannot find where you can purchase them. My rule - when they brought 3 into my room one always made it into the going home bag. No one counts.

2) Take the peribottle home that they give you. It probably cost like 10 cents. It is wonderful though. After using the bathroom, rinsing with warm water and patting dry is sooooo much better than wiping. I am still using mine at home.

3) If they give you mesh underwear, take a couple of pair home. They are disposable but you can wash them. If you get a little leak from your pad - who cares. They are disposable. Your tummy will also still be large and they are strechy to fit. My aide brought me a couple of pair into the room and suggested some may want to land in my going home bag

4) If this is not your first baby, take motrin or the like before you breastfeed. You will get painful uterine cramps each time you nurse for the first couple of days. This shrinks the uterus really fast - which is great for getting back into regular clothing. It stinks for pain,

5) Do not step on the scale. I gained 19-20 pounds this pregnancy. Ellianna was 7 lbs 2 oz. Then there was the placenta, etc. I came home and was only down 8 pounds. Still am up 10 pounds from when I got pregnant. It is not at all uncommon to swell after giving birth. Personally, due to low BP they pumped 4 bags of fluid into me in a very short period of time. I wore my wedding rings up until about 3-4 days before giving birth. It is now 5 days after giving birth and I cannot wear them. The shoes you wear to the hospital may not fit when you go to leave.

6) If you have a little girl, her lady parts will be very large when she is born. Kinda does not look like a little girl down there. It changes within a couple of days.

7) If possible, try to shower daily. It can be so difficult to find the time. If you can, ask DH or a parent or friend to watch the baby for a full 45 minutes. Go to the bathroom and lock the door. Let the warm water just soothe you. Fix your hair and add makeup. Makes me fell 95% better.

8) Remember all plans are subject to change. Today's plan WAS leave house at 9:00 to make it to TJ Max (to get some additional swaddling blankets as he spits on them all the time and I am constantly washing), stop at one other store within same shopping center, and then make a trip to the grocery store. Well, we left the house at 12:30 and made it to TJ Max and the other store. Went to go to the grocery store and realized I had to use the bathroom (which meant taking her infant seat into a public bathroom - ugghh), Ellianna would need to eat (hence find a place to nurse) and get changed soon, and I was simply tired. So, we came home. DH can take my grocery list and go tonight. We have other food in the house for dinner - no one will starve.

9) HORMONES. They stink. The hospital told me - you may feel sad a few days. This is normal don't worry. I knew from before what those first couple of days could be like. I came home and it was raining. Could not go outside. That made the baby blues worse. Was sad to know that I would never feel pregnancy again. Cried when looking at the doppler because there was no way to use it on my belly and hear her heartbeat (which sounds insane as I had her with me in my arms). This happens on different levels for different people. Don't know the cure for most people. For me personally, getting out of the house helps. A trip to the mall - even if just to push her stroller around and see life happening.

I am sure there are a million other things that others have experienced or could add. Not all will work for everyone. Just some things that worked for me.

June 13th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
5) Do not step on the scale. I gained 19-20 pounds this pregnancy. Ellianna was 7 lbs 2 oz. Then there was the placenta, etc. I came home and was only down 8 pounds. Still am up 10 pounds from when I got pregnant. It is not at all uncommon to swell after giving birth. Personally, due to low BP they pumped 4 bags of fluid into me in a very short period of time. I wore my wedding rings up until about 3-4 days before giving birth. It is now 5 days after giving birth and I cannot wear them. The shoes you wear to the hospital may not fit when you go to leave.

Definitely! And after the swelling finally goes down, I've gotten below my prenatal weight pretty fast by simply BFing and becoming OCD about housework. Three times I've had that happen.

6) If you have a little girl, her lady parts will be very large when she is born. Kinda does not look like a little girl down there. It changes within a couple of days.

Oh yea. Not so much with DD1 but with DD2 I was a bit concerned. The inner labia was swollen and jutting out of the outer a little bit. I was so glad when it normalized, LOL. Seems silly but yea it weirded me out.

7) If possible, try to shower daily. It can be so difficult to find the time. If you can, ask DH or a parent or friend to watch the baby for a full 45 minutes. Go to the bathroom and lock the door. Let the warm water just soothe you. Fix your hair and add makeup. Makes me fell 95% better.

Good idea. I do feel better after a shower

Good tips here. Thanks for taking the time to type them out.
June 13th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Great post, every thing you said is so true and helpful! Love it. The scale thing is so true, I was stepping on the scale daily and being disappointed every time lol. I gained about 33 lbs and I'm already down about 23, Crazy! 10 more pounds to go breast feeding works wonders!

June 13th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I remember everyone telling me that breastfeeding made cramping hurt more because it made the uterus shrink faster. With Alex I never felt it. With Rowan it hurt like a SOB. Especially while pumping.

As for PP weight, I'm already down 15lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight. Not as dramatic as with Alex. Due to morning sickness I lost 25lbs by the middle of the second trimester. PP I lost between 30-40lbs. I was also incredibly swollen by the end.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 14th, 2013, 05:27 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great tips! Thank you!

June 14th, 2013, 07:24 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great tips! Especially bringing home pads and underwear from the hospital. Even the nurses told me to pack everything that was in my room to go home: diapers, wipes, underwear, pads, peribottle...everything. That saved my butt (literally) the first few days home.

June 14th, 2013, 11:59 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Great tips!!

Also if you are having a little girl and notice some blood in ther diaper no need to be alarmed baby girls may have a "period" after birth. Completely normal.
TeresaV likes this.

June 14th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Great tips!!

Also if you are having a little girl and notice some blood in ther diaper no need to be alarmed baby girls may have a "period" after birth. Completely normal.
I have not seen this with our little girl although someone else told me about the possibility. I was quite shocked at the size of girl parts the first 2-3 days. Saw what boy parts looked like the first two times and they were swollen as well. Crazy.

June 14th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you're breastfeeding your baby's breasts may also swell and leak. Rowan's are doing that, lol

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search