BP :(

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyla0709

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My bp is usually 115/70ish. While getting ready for 39 w appt, I wasn't feeling great so I took bp. 140/90!! At doctor, it was 140/78. So doc wanted to schedule induction for Tuesday. I started crying and told him I didn't want to force him out before 40 weeks. So we are doing 24 hr urine. I go back Tuesday. If bp isn't down, we are inducing. If its okay, he wants to induce next weekend.

What would you do?
June 14th, 2013, 07:27 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do the induction. You are at 39 weeks, which is fine. Blood pressure can quickly spiral out of control, especially during delivery. Mine went up to 155/100 during delivery. Any higher and they would have sent me for a c-section. I was induced at 39 weeks and everything was fine. I would recommend making your wishes known to your nurses. I told my nurses that I didn't want a c-section if at all possible, so they did not break my water until I was very far along. Blood pressure issues are nothing to mess around with. Good luck! You'll be fine.

June 14th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Super Mommy
I agree that BP issues can get very bad, fast. But mine has been high, even with BP meds and I am still not having protein issues. What do you feel? I think if your 24 hr comes back okay, it'd be alright to wait another week, but there's absolutely no harm in delivering now. Gabriel was born (induction) at exactly 39 weeks and he was perfect, no problems. Ask your doc if your cervix is favorable for a sweep. It probably won't put you into labor, but it can definitely help to make it more likely to comply with an induction. IMO your blood pressure doesn't sound all that high, and if you're on the lookout for symptoms of pre-e and take your bp at home, you should be okay waiting another week. Trust your instincts.
bribugg13 likes this.
June 14th, 2013, 09:14 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Sounds like the start of Connor's birth. My BP was fine the entire pregnancy and in the last couple of weeks it shot up. They also found some protein in my urine. We did not do a 24 hour urine test, over the 2-3 weeks we just kept close watch. I didn't have any major swelling, baby was monitoring fine, etc.....

At 40 weeks it was still the same, so we decided to induce. Basically, it was almost 48 hours of attempting to birth a baby that was not ready to come out, I'm 100% sure he would have been in 'til at least 42 weeks. It ended in a c-section.

If you don't have a history of BP issues, and you and doc can watch it closely, especially if your urine tests come back fine, and you have no other symptoms (swelling, double vision, horrible headaches), if I were in the same position again as last time, I would not induce again. I fully believe baby comes when baby is ready, and yes if it's medically necessary to attempt to get baby to come early, then it has to be done. But Connor was obviously not ready and we tried everything, the "mantra" for the entire 48 hours was "anything to avoid a c/s"...but I think the induction was the start of an inevitable c/s.

As a first time mom back in 2010, I was in the exact same position you were in and because the advice came from my midwife/OB office, I thought it was the right decision at the time. Looking back now, I realize we should have continued to monitor, done the 24 hour urine test, and just kept close watch and not done the induction. Part of the reason for my decision is also during that almost 48 hours of attempting to induce labor my BP was absolutely normal and Connor was absolutely fine the entire time.

June 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Do not induce, I would do the urine test, check your bp often. Your bp could be high, from the heat, stress, etc.

I would do a sweep and that is it..

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

June 14th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I do want to add that one high BP reading could be a fluke, it could have been something you ate or drank, stress, heat - like Sami said. I took mine at the grocery store one afternoon and it was about that 140/80-something. It was also high at one midwife appointment, but by the following appointment it was back to the normal range. I really wouldn't worry if it's not been consistently high.

June 14th, 2013, 11:21 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Are they taking it manually or electronic?

And when are they taking it? When you first walk in to your appointment? Ask them to take it at the end of your appointment. It doesn't seem to high to me. Mine ran 120-130/75-80 my whole pregnancy. If your 24 hour urine come back normal and you know what signs to look for I think you are ok waiting a week. Try a sweep and try to rest as much as possible.

June 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Are they taking it manually or electronic?
Both at doctor's office.

At home we have a small electronic one. It always reads around 115/65, which is what they get at the doctor's office. (I always check it at home before my appts.) So today, at home it was 140/90 and there it was 140/78.

Latest was 146/75.

I had been waiting for about 40 minutes when they checked it there.

Last edited by Hopeful2BMommy; June 14th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
June 14th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Do you have any irregular swelling, headache, seeing spots?

June 14th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Nope. I just haven't felt good all day.
My hands don't look swollen, but they feel funny.

Quote:
Nope. I just haven't felt good today.
My hands don't look swollen, but they feel funny.
June 14th, 2013, 11:35 AM
My "normal" is always 120/80 - if it's lower, it's a miracle! lol 80 is still 'normal' for the bottom #

June 14th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I would try not to worry too much and wait for the 24 hour urine. Are you plenty hydrated?

June 14th, 2013, 11:36 AM
What have you eaten recently? Anything outside the norm of what you usually eat? High sodium content or eat out at restaurants? Sodium has a big impact on BP & swelling

June 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Haven't had anything different to eat. Yes, I've had plenty of water.

I'll probably trust what my doc says. If it stays up this weekend, we'll talk induction at my appt. Tuesday morning.

Thanks for your input ladies!
June 14th, 2013, 12:56 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The other day I had a headache that would not go away. Tried everything I could think of so I called my doctor and they had me come in. My blood pressure is normally very low so I wasn't even concerned about that. I went it and my blood pressure was pretty high, cant remember the number but I know they were concerned. They monitored me for awhile and sent me home because my blood pressure had been fine the day before (at my appt.). My blood pressure has been great since. I think it was just a freak thing that day or something. I just wanted to give you an example that those things do happen and they turn out to be nothing. I hope your blood pressure stays down and it was just a fluke thing. Try not to stress about it and you can talk to your doctor about it on tuesday. I hope you feel better soon!
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
June 14th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Were you able to see a doctor that you trust? I had to see every physician in the practice but had my favorites. If you have one doc that you really trust (think that s/he is the most knowledgable, etc), ask to speak with that physician.

June 14th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
Were you able to see a doctor that you trust? I had to see every physician in the practice but had my favorites. If you have one doc that you really trust (think that s/he is the most knowledgable, etc), ask to speak with that physician.
Yep, it was my doc that I always see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search