Best bottle for avoiding nipple confusion?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Panda

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since Finn is such a big baby, my midwife and the lactation consultant at the hospital told me that I should be feeding on demand, as much as he wants, so that I don't have to supplement with formula. I love breastfeeding him, and I think we're getting a really good rhythm established...but he wants to eat ALL the time, and I'm past exhaustion and working towards delirium. I literally didn't get any sleep until 5 am this morning, and then only for an hour. I'm feeding him as I type this, one handed.

I'm reluctant to do anything that might screw up breastfeeding. I don't want to confuse him by going back and forth between bottle and breast, and I don't want to hurt my milk supply. But if I don't get some sleep soon, I'm going to lose it, and that's not good for anyone. My midwife suggested that I pump a little extra during the day so that DH can take one of the night time feedings. That way I can get at least 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Hopefully that will be enough to keep me from going nuts.

I guess I just need reassurance that I'm not going to ruin everything by doing this, and that I'm not being totally selfish here. Also, I have no idea what bottles I should be using! I've got a decent manual pump (Lansinoh) that I really like, but what's the best bottle to use to avoid nipple confusion? Any advice would be appreciated!

June 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're using Nuk bottles and Aidan hasn't had any confusion.

#1, 4, 5, 7
June 16th, 2013, 08:23 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Very common to cluster fed at this age. Do not get that confused with needing more, with cluster feeding your body is getting ready for his 1st growth spurt.

I have heard amazing things about Dr. Browns bottles I would stick with the premie flow nipple.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

June 16th, 2013, 10:36 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
We are going through a very similar situation. Because of his size, combined with his jaundice, we are nursing constantly. My doctor even had us offering formula after each feeding for awhile. I have a Similac bottle, I forget what it is called exactly, but we haven't had trouble with nipple confusion.
June 16th, 2013, 10:37 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I've also heard Dr. Browns were good for not causing nipple confusion. The biggest thing is the flow of the nipples. Because our nipple holes don't get larger as baby grows (as bottles do) the flow doesn't come out any faster, I would also stick to the smallest nipple hole openings as Sammi suggested. I think that would cause more confusion, when the baby realizes they can get more, faster from a bottle nipple than from mommy's!

June 16th, 2013, 02:37 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are going through the same thing. If Morgan isn't sleeping she is attached to my boob. It's pretty much been that way for her entire 2 weeks and 4 days of existence. DH feels really bad that he can't help me, and as much as I've been tempted to start pumping and introducing a bottle here and there, I remind myself that cluster feeding helps establish a good milk supply. I'm going to try my hardest to wait a month before introducing a bottle. I am thinking about starting to pump now though to try and get a milk stash going. I have a box of Avent bottles and a box of Medela. We'll see which ones she prefers.

June 16th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I had good luck with the tommy tippy bottles with my youngest. She nursed 99% of the time and used those bottles when I couldn't nurse. We made it 13 months before she weaned but I got pg so I think that was the reason she weaned so early.

June 16th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am using the Similac bottle simply because they sent me a free one in the mail and she takes it I was prepared to try others - but why when she takes this one.

June 16th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We've been using Medela bottles with their low flow nipples. No confusion at all. He takes his one bottle feeding a day (giving my nipples a little break) and he has no problem switching back to nursing.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
June 17th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used dr brown with dd & will use them again with these babies
Dd had no issues with Confusion

June 17th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies stopping in from the sept 2012 PR! Wanted to say you ladies are doing great nursing is really hard the first couple weeks and that every nursing session is so important for your supply! That being said oh my goodness it gets sooo much easier!!! My son is ten months old and still nurses on demand it is a great relationship started out rocky but got a lot smoother at six weeks and still going on strong! If any of you ladies need anything feel free to pm me!! Keep up the good work and keep encouraging and supporting each other!
bribugg13 likes this.

June 17th, 2013, 12:31 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm using Breastflow. Anna has not had any trouble even though she's been on formula since day 2 being home. I have my breastpump finally (just arrived today) so I'm hoping to be able to go back to breast feeding once my supply comes in. But as far as I can tell, the breastflow bottles have prevented nipple confusion.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search