What birth control are you considering?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been on the Nuva Ring, Mirena, and used condoms/spermicide. The Nuva Ring kept falling out and the ring irritated me so I quit using it and switched to condoms. Then we tried for Alex, had him, and I decided to get Mirena. It guaranteed no periods for me but it made me feel exhausted all the time. I also noticed that I was ovulating while using it. I can tell because whenever I ovulate whichever ovary is ending out the egg becomes tender, develops a cyst, and I can feel my muscle that runs over it bulge a bit, especially my right side (Rory came from my left, its soreness was one of my earliest clues that i was pregnant). This made me very unhappy. I'm fine with preventing conception but I think it's poor sportsmanship to conceive and then deny implantation. So I had it removed and went back to condoms/spermicide. No surprise that I quickly got pregnant again.

I'm wary about using hormonal methods because I don't seem to do well with them. However, I don't like the failure rate of barrier methods. I was fine with them before because it didn't matter too much if I got pregnant. Now it would be a disaster.

I'm leaning towards Nexplanon. It's safe to use while breastfeeding and studies have proven that it works by stopping ovulation for the first two years of use. After that ovulation can occur rarely but the secondary method (thickening cervical mucus) is what prevents conception. 2 years of space between Rory and the next pregnancy is just right, I think.

Has anyone had any experience with Implanon/Nexplanon?

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 16th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No experience. We are doing the snip and using the mini pill and condoms until DH gets a two good test results Guess you can tell we feel our family is 100% complete. Sounds like permanent bc is not for you as you may/do want another child. Hopefully your doc can help.

June 16th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I'd really like to try again for a girl. But after 3 I'm done. DH will get snipped after that

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 16th, 2013, 02:28 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are done. I think DH offered to get snipped. I would love for him to do it this year since we reached our insurance out of pocket maximum. My doc recommended Mirena.

June 16th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Actually I am getting a tubal ligation and DH is getting the snip. Lilah was an oops, and there will not be another.

June 16th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Since I'm having a c-section anyway I'm getting a tubal done at the same time.

June 16th, 2013, 07:17 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB recommended a new super low dose IUD the skyla. I am super limited because of the clotting disorders.
June 16th, 2013, 07:59 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I'm thinking para guard.

June 16th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm thinking para guard also.

#1, 4, 5, 7
June 16th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Right now DH and I are planning on combining condoms and pull and pray for the first year. When I'm done BF-ing I'll just go back on the pill.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
June 16th, 2013, 09:44 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
para-guard here as well.

June 16th, 2013, 10:15 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Not sure.. but I need to figure it out. This oven is closed!!! DH will be getting snipped soon.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

June 17th, 2013, 04:44 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
I'm leaning towards the Nexplanon... I loved my mirena, but since I had the eptopic pregnancy while on the mirena I am no longer a candidate for IUD's.
I don't do pills. I got pregnant with dd while on depo and I can't stomach the thought of shoving a ring in my hoohaa... I can't even wear tampons.

Nexplanon is really my only option that isn't permanent. I thought I would do something permanent but as the end of this pregnancy gets closer and closer I couldn't agree to anything drastic. What if! I know we are going to foster/adopt our next child but what if!
June 17th, 2013, 05:19 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I had Mirena after having Connor and had zero problems with it, loved not having a period! I will probably go that route again, but may wait a bit longer before getting it. It took us almost a year to get pregnant this time around after having it taken out, maybe contributed to the mirena, maybe contributed to the fact I was still BF'ing, either way I wasn't ovulating every month. Once we're sure we do NOT want to try for a third (it would be sooner rather than later), I will probably get Mirena again. I just loved not having a period! lol

June 17th, 2013, 07:02 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a tubal right after delivery and DF is getting snipped next month. There will be absolutely no more oopsies at our house!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search