inverted nipples

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2013, 06:43 AM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does anyone else have this issue? I have "flat" nipples but drs also say it's inverted nipples and I have to wear shells in my nursing bra to help pull out my nipples. Well that's fine as it does help but the sponges inside the shells don't catch everything and last night I leaked all over the bed and was not able to feed from that side nor pump. During the day in 2hrs I was able to collect 15ml of milk in just one shell. If I west nursing pads my nipples fall and Trey has a hard time latching. The lactation consultant even said to just put them in 10 min before feeding. Well he's not on a,schedule yet so I'm unsure when that would really be. Anyone else have this issue that can lend advice?

June 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really have advice but I have the same issue and I hated the nipple shields so we just pump exclusively. Hope someone has some tips...

June 17th, 2013, 08:08 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Hi, I am a lactation consultant and came across your post. I hope that you don't mind. Some things you can do for inverted nipples without wearing the shells in your bra. There is no research supporting the usefulness of the shells. There are other things you can do before feeding however. You can purchase a nipple everter to use right before a feeding. Several companies sell them, but if you have a pump, you can pump for a few minutes before feeding and that will also draw them out. You can use your fingers to pencil roll the nipple. You would take the nipple and roll in between two fingers like you would roll a pencil between two fingers. How is the baby latching on? Do you have to use nipple shields in order to latch? Is it painful?
June 17th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm totally lurking here from Nov DDC but wanted to say I have inverted nipples as well. We used a nipple shield for the first 4 months but my daughter learned how to latch without them after that.
June 17th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Il
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeannk View Post
Hi, I am a lactation consultant and came across your post. I hope that you don't mind. Some things you can do for inverted nipples without wearing the shells in your bra. There is no research supporting the usefulness of the shells. There are other things you can do before feeding however. You can purchase a nipple everter to use right before a feeding. Several companies sell them, but if you have a pump, you can pump for a few minutes before feeding and that will also draw them out. You can use your fingers to pencil roll the nipple. You would take the nipple and roll in between two fingers like you would roll a pencil between two fingers. How is the baby latching on? Do you have to use nipple shields in order to latch? Is it painful?
Thank you for this. It started out painful and got better and now it's painful again. I've check his latch each time and it kooks the way the lac consultant said it should but it's just on one side which he seems to be favoring now. Also he seems to get more than he can swallow at times and pulls back.

Phantomgirl...do you pump when you feel full or on a schedule? This guy cluster feeds during the day so it hard to pump in between or else there's nothing left for him.

June 17th, 2013, 08:42 AM
You may have a forceful let down on that side. Try pumping for a few minutes to get some of the milk out can help. You can also nurse with you laying back and the baby in an upright position. This will help the baby control the milk flow.
June 17th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I've tried every hold but that hold. One lactation consultant said the way my nipples were the best hold was football but he even got mad at times bobbing up and down on my nipple like he couldn't find it. He also does this gag reflux at times when I put it in his mouth like it's choking him. Another consultant and my Dr checked and said he wasn't tongue tied. I'm to the point of exclusively pumping or just going to Formula feed but I really don't want to give up

June 17th, 2013, 10:35 AM
You are fantastic by the way! It's hard to nurse through inverted nipples. If you have a severe degree of inversion, it can be extremely painful and most mothers end up exclusively pumping because of it. Again, I can't say without seeing the nipples or watching you nurse. What kind of pump do you have? If you do exclusively pump, you want to make sure you have a pump that is suitable for exclusive pumping. If it is unbearable pain and you feel that you need to use the nipple shield, don't be afraid to do so. Just make sure to follow up with pumping for 5-10 minutes after each feeding. Is your nipple cracked and bleeding? Does the pain last throughout the entire feeding or just during the initial latch? Is any of the nipple or breast tissue look red?
June 17th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeannk View Post
You are fantastic by the way! It's hard to nurse through inverted nipples. If you have a severe degree of inversion, it can be extremely painful and most mothers end up exclusively pumping because of it. Again, I can't say without seeing the nipples or watching you nurse. What kind of pump do you have? If you do exclusively pump, you want to make sure you have a pump that is suitable for exclusive pumping. If it is unbearable pain and you feel that you need to use the nipple shield, don't be afraid to do so. Just make sure to follow up with pumping for 5-10 minutes after each feeding. Is your nipple cracked and bleeding? Does the pain last throughout the entire feeding or just during the initial latch? Is any of the nipple or breast tissue look red?
My insurance gave me the medela in style advanced double pump. Not cracked or bleeding but the left has some red on nipple but that's because he wasn't latched on right in hospital and my nipple looked like a "tube of lipstick" after feeding (as the consultant referred to it) so each time he sucks now it's a bit painful biut doesn't bleed and when he comes a off it's a perfect round shape....not lipstick tube or flat.

June 17th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have inverted nipples and I remember from nursing Alex that it took 3 weeks for the soreness to end. The more you pump/nurse the more stretched the skin on your nipples become. Once they become more elastic and a little bit toughened the soreness will stop.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 17th, 2013, 12:10 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just exclusively pump - I am determined for him to get the breastmilk but he just would never latch on. We had to do the same with my first son too. Although my first son latched on a few times during months 3-4 and was such a lazy eater since the bottle was easier for him so I stopped even trying. We started out pumping 20 minutes every 3 hours even at night to build up a supply but since I've found I have an oversupply (over 300 ounces already frozen in 2 weeks?! *** (we signed up to donate with milkin mama's) I am now trying to do every 4 hours or so. Ideally I'll get up to every 5 hours.

June 17th, 2013, 12:21 PM
You mentioned the pain went away and then came back. I'm just trying to rule out other culprits for you like thrush or a reaction to the breast shells and or nursing pads.
June 17th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Well the shells helped him latch on and during the day I didn't put the sponges in them and I'd collect the milk in them...even at night with the shells and sponges in, I'm still collecting a lot not milk. I stopped wearing the shells due to having to constantly pour milk in a storage bottle and wash/rinse. I'm thinking the pain came back from him not having a nipple to latch too and it was like being back at square one

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search