We were told to supplement :(

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Previously our pedi has said to supplement Corbin if we felt he wasn't getting enough but that he felt Corbin would catch on with breastfeeding quickly. Well we went back for a weight check today and he again only gained half an oz in 5 days.

I'm at such a lost as to what to do. Nolan is doing better, he gained 4 oz in 5 days so he's ok with his weight gain although he would like to see him gaining more since they will be two weeks on Wed.

Corbin just doesn't seem interested in eating. I know I mentioned this before but now I'm just feeling like I'm failing him. I don't want him to be harmed by not gaining or not getting enough but I really don't want to do formula. He is still peeing and pooping like he should be but he doesn't sleep like Nolan. He has to constantly be comforted.

Anyone have any advice on what to do? I really didn't want to have to go to formula
June 17th, 2013, 05:54 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Could you pump and give him your milk in a bottle? He may eat more that way since it's less work to get from a bottle. Just an idea. But you're not failing him if you're making sure he gets what he needs one way or another.
4hearts, rcjh12 and MamaSkunk like this.

June 17th, 2013, 06:02 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Bf babies do tend to gain weight at a slower pace than ff babies. When Payson was a week old she weighed 7lbs 4oz with a cloth diaper on she was 7lbs 7oz at birth, I am not sure how much she lost before that though. I think the most important thing is watching his cues than the actual number. I would try to pump first and offer the milk in a slow flow preemie nipple bottle and see if you can get him to eat more that way. Huge hugs Hun. When do you go back?

June 17th, 2013, 06:03 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with what Karen said. Or you could mix a tiny amount of formula in with your breast milk and still give mostly breast milk. It sounds like your doing great at feeding them both. Bravo mama!!! You are already doing a great job feeding them! Its hard to feed one and your feeding two! Don't be down on yourself!

June 17th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Also every scale is different and at different times during the day he could weigh differently. He may have gained an ounce or two but just pooped, or didn't have a feed before being weighed. There are so many factors.

June 17th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, if you can pump you can supplement without relying too much on formula. What you can do is get a pumping bra, put it on tight. Lower one side and nurse Nolan but leave the other side up with the pumping stuff connected. Pump the whole time you're nursing Nolan. Then have your husband feed Corbin the pumped milk. Or, do one or two formula feedings but still pump. When you are at least one feeding ahead you can set up a boppy between your legs and while pumping/nursing you're bottle feeding Corbin. It's going to be awkward and frustrating at first but you'll get the hang of it. I pump while bottle feeding Rowan and handling Alex crawling all over me, lol. Big time saver is storing the pump stuff in the fridge instead of washing each time. I just wash once a day.

You may also need to fortify your pumped milk. We do .5 teaspoon formula for every 3 ounces of breast milk. Rowan eats 2 oz at a time.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 17th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Try kellymom.com as well they may have some suggestions for your situation as well.
4hearts likes this.

June 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have nothing to add, but I think the others have given some great advice. I really hope things work out. Hugs Hun.

#1, 4, 5, 7
June 17th, 2013, 06:28 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no advice, although these ladies have given some great ideas, but I wanted to offer my support. You are doing a great job! I hope they both start gaining weight like they should.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
June 17th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. I have lived on kellymom for the past week. I think we're going to try a bottle here at the next feeding. my pedi did say he was ok with us mixing it with breastmilk. He's very pro breastfeeding and didn't even want us to do a bottle yet but the syringe allows him to swallow so much air he gets very upset. Then he cries and it ends up be counterproductive. I have just enough to offer him an oz of breastmilk. I'm undecided if tonight we will mix formula with it. This afternoon I've been pumping for 10 minutes after each feeding and then he's been getting in about an extra half an oz of that but only at two of the feedings.

We've kept the appointment time at about the same time of day and I have a scale at home that matched what the one at the drs said. We go back on Friday but I will be keeping check on his weight at home throughout the week.
June 17th, 2013, 06:53 PM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
You can get a finger feeder instead of using the syringe. Also, check out the SNS systems and ask about human milk fortifier.
June 18th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We tried the bottle last night. For both babies. Corbin's was mostly breastmilk with a little bit of formula in it. They took them great and afterwards Nolan latched back on great but Corbin didn't really want to. Then things got worse at the next feeding when Corbin wouldn't latch at all so DH took him to see if he could get him interested in eating with a little bit from the syrnge while I fed Nolan. Well Corbin fell asleep and then so did DH. This was at the 1am feed. Nolan woke me up at 4am to eat and that's when I realized DH still had Corbin and that Corbin had now missed two feedings. I was really upset, my boobs were super full and I was so stressed that we were sending the wrong message to both Corbin and my boobs. I don't want Corbin to get them impression that he can get his main food source from somewhere else but I feel like that's exactly what the bottle did. He latched on ok at 4am he didn't want his extra ounce then but at 7am he didn't eat much from me and finished the extra oz from the syringe. At 9am he only ate from me but it wasn't that much. :/ He only latched on for about 5 minutes before he fell asleep. I'm not sure what to do now. I know his last feed wasn't how much he needed but he had been awake for two hours so I knew he was going to fall asleep and I feel like sleep is pretty important for growing too. I don't want to be constantly shoving food down his throat and if I forced an extra oz at every feeding that's exactly what I would be doing.
June 18th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope things start to go better for you. I wish I could be more help. My kids always preferred the boob to the bottle, so we struggled with bottle rejection. With my second he associated the bottle with 1/2 formula - a different taste. Perhaps that would help

June 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
*lurking*

Just wanted to give you big kudos, Mama! Giving twins breastmilk is hard work, and you are doing an awesome job. Hang in there...every drop of breastmilk is such a gift!
crawmommy likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

June 18th, 2013, 09:52 AM
It seems like the bottle had the opposite effect, instead of eating more he ate less. Huge hugs Hun I wish I had more advice.

June 18th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Veteran
Keep up the effort it will be worth it no matter what happens. You will know you tried your hardest.

If it comes to the bottle feeding, don't beat yourself up. The day my husband and I decided to feed our first kid from a bottle after exhausting all options (finger feeding, syringe etc.) was so sad, I cried and cried. then my kid ate. Then my kid slept and then I realized I was starving my poor little boy. The change in his demeanour after his feeding was day and night. If it comes to that. Bottle feed and never look back.
June 18th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you are going through this not sure how you are feeding but have you tried to feed them both the same time? Also try to relax(easier said then done) try to deep breathe and go to your happy place. If I'm stressed my kiddos have. Harder time latching. Just remember any breast milk is better than none. You are doing great hang in there!

June 19th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
yea I do have them nurse together for most of the daytime feedings. It seems that since we tried added extra to Corbin that is shifted his feedings to an hour later than Nolan so now they don't want to feed at the same time.

Corbin did nurse great during the night. They both seemed like they were starving before bedtime and they already love their 10pm bottle. We started two days ago putting an oz in a bottle for both of them and last night both of them nursed afterwards.

I'm not sure this is all helping Corbin, I feel like he is still taking in the same amount. I've been trying some tricks I read on Kellymom to try and up my fat content in my milk so I hope that maybe that will help. My mom was telling me I did the exact same things to her as a baby and she chalked it up to me being born 12 weeks early but maybe not. Maybe it was a personality thing and I've passed this onto Corbin?
June 19th, 2013, 07:17 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no advice, but wanted you to know I think you are amazing and my hero for BF twins. I was thinking last night, I don't know how you twin mama's do it. Just nursing my singleton feels like a full time job and overwhelming.
MerinSun and loveneverfails like this.
June 19th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Could you feed Corbin only from one breast? To make sure he gets all the hind milk?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search