Is there still hope for breastfeeding?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hilachu
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 2 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2013, 07:42 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll try to make this short. Anna latches like a pro, she went for it as soon as I was able to breastfeed her after she was born. She breastfed perfectly in the hospital, and we were released when she was 3 days old, having lost nearly a pound. We had to start supplementing because my milk still wasn't in on day 5. I still let her latch and suck until she was done and then I'd feed her the formula. She's over two weeks old and I just got my pump yesterday (stupid insurance). When I pumped both breasts, I got barely a teaspoon from them combined. I'm still on antibiotics and some low dose pain medications due to my infection, but I'm eating and drinking enough. I know I slacked off on having her latch and try to breastfeed before the bottle and I'm wondering if there's still hope for breastfeeding with my supply being obviously really low, even after 2 weeks.

Any ideas or advice would be great!
June 18th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would probably keep pumping every 2-3 hours for another 3 days to see if it gets better. Does your hospital provide a lactation consultant?

June 18th, 2013, 07:56 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, there is still hope.

Fenugreek is a natural herb that increases milk production and safe for BF. also brewers yeast and oatmeal in conjunction with a lot of pumping, nursing and water. How much water are you drinking? I am up to over 100 oz a day and still feel parched some days.
June 18th, 2013, 08:58 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kim - They don't offer an LC, but the nurses that come in to take care of my incision/wound are pretty knowledgeable.

zkat- I'm constantly drinking out of a huge blue cup. Every time I'm up, I fill it. My urine (TMI) is one shade away from being clear.

Another thing I'm worried about is if the fenugreek is okay to take with the antibiotics I'm on, and if it'll all upset Anna's stomach.

Ugh. I feel like my body completely failed this poor child. Everything that I did NOT want to happen has happened.
June 18th, 2013, 09:57 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
You have not failed her first off. And the fenugreek should not upset her stomach. Neither should mothers milk tea. Many women relactate I would look up how to relactate. There might be more suggestions for that. Huge hugs Hun you have not failed your journey is just a little different than you expected.

June 18th, 2013, 10:34 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
coming from a place where I beat myself up over bf with ds i would do what you feel is right for you and your family
your child will get nourishment either from breast or bottle
you will provide for your child either way and they wont hate you one way or the other
you'll still bond with the child, they will still love you
Steph625 likes this.

June 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
YOU'RE NOT FAILING! Breasts need time to get used to how the pump stimulates your let down. As t the hospital I was given the medela symphony. When I came home I used my hygeia. I barely got anything. I switched to my medela pump n style and resumed my normal output. If I stuck with the hygeia I'm sure I'd do just ad well after a day or two but I didn't want to wait.

Half an ounce after breastfeeding is still good. Remember to pump for 20-25 minutes. They say 15 but that extra 5-10 minutes can make a real difference.

And hey, anyone not happy with their medela, I'll trade you pumps, lol

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 18th, 2013, 11:14 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm having trouble with breastfeeding as well. I can relate to feelings of failure. We are stillworking hard thought with fenugreek mothers milk tea and frequent nursing. I need to pump more frequently...today has been especially hard for me with nursing her. I feel thst my breasts are empty and she isn't getting enough. Ugh....its so stressful. :-( keep trying!!! We are in this together!

June 18th, 2013, 11:58 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Check out kellymom.com. She is a LC with LOTS of good information, including how to increase supply. Hang in there!

June 18th, 2013, 12:26 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlinmommy17 View Post
I'm having trouble with breastfeeding as well. I can relate to feelings of failure. We are stillworking hard thought with fenugreek mothers milk tea and frequent nursing. I need to pump more frequently...today has been especially hard for me with nursing her. I feel thst my breasts are empty and she isn't getting enough. Ugh....its so stressful. :-( keep trying!!! We are in this together!
I hardly ever feel full either if that makes you feel any better
overlinmommy17 likes this.

June 19th, 2013, 07:22 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just bc you're not getting a lot pumping doesn't mean that Anna isn't getting much when you nurse. The baby and the pump pull from different ducts. Since you just started pumping, your pump ducts haven't built up supply. I had a very similar situation to you with DD. I actually ended up EP, but that is a different story. But my pump supply was killer after a week or so of really regular pumping (about every 2 hours). The first time I pumped, I literally got 20mL total from both sides. So discouraging. But it builds up as you continue to pump.
navywifey2003 and LisaS like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search