Wrap/sling question

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By ashleykathleen
  • 1 Post By bribugg13
  • 2 Post By SassySami

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2013, 08:08 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I have never been into baby wearing, I just feel like it's not for me. But I don't think I have a choice at this point. Lena wants to be on my person at all times. I may need to wear her to be able to do anything around the house, particularly to take care of DD when DH goes back to work on Monday. I am not digging the structured carrier, so I am thinking some kind of wrap or sling may be better. I have a Sevens Sling, but I don't care for that either. A ring sling maybe? I know NOTHING about this stuff, but I know a lot of you ladies are baby wearing gurus, so I thought I would ask for opinions and advice. Any info you can give me (either about things that are awesome or things to steer clear of) would be greatly appreciated!

June 20th, 2013, 08:19 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At this stage, I prefer a ring sling or something like the Moby wrap. McKinley LOVES the Moby wrap. I'm able to keep her all snuggled up to my chest (her favorite place to curl up) and she almost instantly passes out while I'm walking around or doing whatever. I walk the neighborhood every morning with the kids and I always put Mac in the wrap. She sleeps for the entire walk and has never once made a peep.

I'm sure there are some more experienced baby wearers on here to help but, from a somewhat amateur myself, that's my two cents

June 20th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks! I was looking at reviews of different wraps and slings. A lot of people said that the Moby is hot and takes a long time to put on. What is your take on this? I am super clueless and sometimes a general review doesn't give them best info.

June 21st, 2013, 04:13 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the newborn stage I agree with the ring sling or the moby. I have never found the moby to be to much of a pain...it just requires some extra planning some times. Like if I am going grocery shopping or something I will put it on before I leave so when I get there I don't have to worry about doing it in the parking lot.
I cant comment to much on ring slings because I had one for such a short time with DS2 but I did love it and I ended up buying a new one for this baby. In my opinion all wraps get hot...some are worse than others and I wouldn't buy a black moby or even a dark navy (the color I have) one because I am sure the darker color are hotter but it is nothing unbearable.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
June 21st, 2013, 04:53 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I had the moby for Connor when he was a newborn. It is VERY hot - but we are very hot-natured people. Both of us would sweat so horribly that I was afraid he would overheat so I ended up selling it. It was not that big of a learning curve, however, and didn't take long to put on once I learned how.

I'm also leaning towards a ring sling this time around. Here's some recommended sites for it, I've heard a linen blend should not be too uncomfortable (we're in FL now so it kind of sucks to wear ANYTHING haha), and some tips are just wear a nursing tank or very little clothing underneath the sling so there's not a lot of layers.

Maya Wrap Baby Sling
sleeping baby productions | custom-made ring slings

You can also find a lot of used slings out there, so you don't have to spend so much on a brand new item that you and/or baby may not like! You can find a lot of great advice on this FB group as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/377237985638946/

or if you have a local baby boutique in your area, they usually carry and let you try out the different carriers. HTH!
MamaSkunk likes this.

June 21st, 2013, 05:54 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with going to a local baby boutique and they will let you try out a few and help you with them.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
June 21st, 2013, 06:19 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Mobys are so hot.. Then baby out grows them fast, as they are a stretchy material. I would look into a woven cotton wrap or a Ring sling..

Here are some great links to help you.
Babywearing 101
Carry Me Away: Baby Carrier Comparison Chart :: Carry Me Away
Baby Carrier Comparison Chart

We baby wear but with a size 3 rainbow wrap, Ring sling, and a wrapture
LisaS and crawmommy like this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

June 21st, 2013, 07:00 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
The moby is HOT... dd was born in the winter so it wasn't a big deal until it started getting warm and then I never used it again. if you're going to get a moby get a lighter color or try a woven linen wrap... they don't stretch as much and offer a bit more support in my opinion. Wraps to take a few times to get used to.

I love a ring sling. I used my ring sling all the time with dd and I'm super excited about going and getting a new one after baby boy is here.
June 21st, 2013, 07:35 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also say go with a ring sling. It is one that's safe for even newborn use as not all are safe for newborns some wraps are only for after 4 months. And the ring sling is obviously adjustable so you can continue to use it as baby grows. (And the ring sling you can also use it as a shield to nurse in public if you don't want everything on display) I completely second Maya wraps. I so need a new one also in a boyish color as I gave my cousin my girl colored ring sling.

June 21st, 2013, 09:46 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We have an ergo, a boba, and a mei tai right now. I love the boba for older babies it fits me well and my husband loves the ergo as it fits him better than the boba. We both love the mei tai for her right now. I am on the hunt for my first woven that isnt crazy expensive and a ring sling. You can find great deals on babywearing groups and also diaperswappers.com, there is another site that I cant remember the name right now but its also for selling babywearing items.

June 21st, 2013, 11:42 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After wearing her in the Moby the first time or two, I've got it down to a science on how to put that thing on just right. It doesn't take more than a minute or two and it isn't hard at all. I just put it on before I get in the car so I don't have to put it on the parking lot of any stores.

As far as it being hot, I really don't have a problem with it. I actually have a blak one and I live in Texas where our summers are triple digits most days. I just make sure not to go walking around outside in the middle of the day with it on.

June 21st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks so much for all of the info. I see that a lot of people recommend the Maya ring sling and I was looking at that one. There are just so many options! I like to do as much research as I can before hand bc the idea of spending a lot of money on something that I could end up hating kills me. I think I will go to the local boutique, see if I can try on a Maya, and if I like it, I will get it there or on Amazon, depending on color options and the price. Thanks again! You ladies are the best!

June 21st, 2013, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As a fairly experienced babywearer, I find the Moby hard to use. I don't like how you need to tie it tighter than comfortable because it will start sagging once you put baby in. And it's way too much fabric for me. Woven wraps come in different sizes, so you can get a size that won't leave you with too much extra fabric. If you get a light weave or a cotton/linen blend, it will be cooler than a Moby (but you're still wrapping fabric around your body, so it will by nature be hotter than a ring sling or a soft structured carrier). I think woven wraps are your best bet if you anticipate wearing your baby for a long time...you can use them for back carries and the multilayered carries are good even for toddlers.

Ring slings are great for babies...I liked it up until around 9 months or so. Once baby starts getting heavier, having all that weight only on one shoulder gets harder on your body. But they have the advantage of being easy to get baby in and out once you figure out how to tighten it properly. I needed an in person lesson for using the ring sling.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search