Suggestion for the sleepy nursing babies

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have noticed that several people haven mentioned having problems with babies who fall asleep instead of eating while BFing. I have been having this same problem. The pediatrician and lactation consultant both said the same thing: strip her down to a diaper and feed skin to skin, tickle her feet if she still doesn't wake up. Well, I tried that and it didn't work (shocker) and no matter how much I try to stimulate her while she eats, I cannot keep her awake... until today. We were at my parents' house and I was at my breaking point over this, breaking down into tears. I had a sudden idea out of nowhere (that I can only interpret as an idea from God in answer to prayer) to take her up to my old room, turn the ceiling fan on high, take off her clothes, and see if that helped keep her awake. It seemed like a little thing, but IT WORKED! She nursed better than she ever had before. I did that the next time she was hungry while we were still there, and it worked again! We got home, she was hungry, I did it again, and the best nursing yet! It was amazing! No feet tickling, rocking, coaxing required! It was amazing. I think that she was too warm and cozy snuggled up against me to stay awake and nurse. The fan didn't freeze her, she didn't seem to mind it at all, but it helped keep her awake enough to nurse.

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but it has been like a miracle for us the last few hours. I wanted to share just in case it may be helpful to anyone else.
zkat and eshute like this.

June 22nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It seemed the only time Trey nursed really well was at the hospital in the lactation consultant meeting and the hospital was bright and cold. I can't regulate my bedroom that way unfortunately

June 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I will definitely try this trick. I'm having a huge issue with this as well! I've even tried diaper changes in middle of nursing, taking a cold cloth to forehead, tickling feet, playing with his arm and stroking his chin. So frustrating!

Thanks for the tip!
June 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for suggestion, I'm going to try this.

~Kristin~
June 22nd, 2013, 08:07 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I try different things mid feeding, he doesn't want anymore. He won't relatch and sits there staring or cooing until He falls asleep

June 22nd, 2013, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph625 View Post
I will definitely try this trick. I'm having a huge issue with this as well! I've even tried diaper changes in middle of nursing, taking a cold cloth to forehead, tickling feet, playing with his arm and stroking his chin. So frustrating!

Thanks for the tip!
I tried all of these things, too! So frustrating! I even bathed her right before feeding her last night to see if she would be more awake for eating. She wasn't. This fan thing is the only thing that has worked so far (and has worked another time since I posted this). I really hope it works for you, too! (And that it continues to work for me!)

June 22nd, 2013, 08:43 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I'll have to try this. We already keep the ceiling fan on, but low. But I need to do SOMETHING since Evan still isn't back to his birth weight and I know it is because he falls asleep so soon into nursing =\
June 22nd, 2013, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjh12 View Post
I'll have to try this. We already keep the ceiling fan on, but low. But I need to do SOMETHING since Evan still isn't back to his birth weight and I know it is because he falls asleep so soon into nursing =\
We've always kept the fan on low, too. She fell asleep every time. Turning it on high and having her in the diaper seems like just enough to keep Lena awake, at least it works today!

June 22nd, 2013, 09:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We usually have to resort to taking a cold wet cloth and scrubbing his head and body vigorously. We have to shout and scratch his spine and top of his head. I honestly feel like I am torturing this poor kid. I think that is one of the things that keeps setting me off emotionally. I want to just hold and bond with my baby but instead we're constantly having to fight to feed him and there isn't much time to just hold him and love up on him.

The last two days have been better since we ditched the every 2 hour mandatory plan. His gas has gone way down, he is waking up for his feeds, and is actually eating more! I'm very hopeful about this next week

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search