Esclusivly Pumping issues

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama
  • 1 Post By MerinSun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2013, 07:38 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Well I have just pumping instead of breastfeeding. I did breast feed a few time in the hospital and it went alright. Using a nipple sheild best. But they have me fortifying my breast milk with powder formula to make it 24 calories since technically Jackson was a preemie. I don't need to do this with every feeding but I have been. It just seems to be working for us. But I wouldn't ming trying to breastfeed somtimes I just never think of it. Plusthey told me I should always pump after bfing anyways so what's the point? It kinda sucks thou because my So helps feed him alot while I pump which is great but I feel like I always get the crappy part, the diapers and pumping and he gets to do feeding and stuff. Plus I swear to good I spill milk everywhere, wether the bottle get full of I spring a leak There is always milk in my bed, where I pump, and spilt on me daily, lol. Anyone else have issues like these?
June 23rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What kind of pump are you using?

June 23rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
Im using a hospital grade medela they had me rent to get my supply in/ soon Ill be switchin to my Ameda purly yours pump.

It happened again Baby was asleep so I started pumping, then he woke up hungry so dad gets to feed him. I really need to coordinate things better. Sick of pumping.
June 23rd, 2013, 11:03 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would try holding off on pumping til after you feed him. I would say OK he will be hungry at such and such a time and even if the first time is hard wait to start pumping til after you have fed him. Or use a hands free pump and hold him and pump at the same time. As far as spilling milk on yourself give it time as you get the hang of everything or chalk it up to being a mom...I swear part of being a mom is getting covered in bodily fluids. Your child's and your own lol.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

June 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This morning I had breast milk all over my shirt and pillow and baby pee all over my bed. Babies are a ton of laundry, lol. I agree with MamaSkunk. Try to coordinate your pumps with his feed. Do it like 3 times a day. It's good for him to cuddle you and to be familiar with the breast for later. It's also good for you bonding wise and for your emotional health. I was an emotional wreck last week because I was essentially banned from bringing him to the breast. He got tired too quickly and then wouldn't eat from a bottle meaning he pretty much skipped a feeding. Now that he is awake more I try tho breastfeed him a couple times a day. At night I sync my pumps to his feeds so we get more rest, lol
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 23rd, 2013, 07:51 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I exclusively pumped with Anna. I pumped pretty much on a schedule, but shifted it a bit to make my life easier or to be able to do something I wanted to do. I tried to pump at least 8 times a day (10 in the beginning), so exactly when I pumped each day depended on what time I started, when I wanted to be done for the day, and if I was still pumping once in the night (which I did for the first several months). I usually didn't end up pumping when she was eating and I gave her probably half of the bottles, at least. I also snuggled her... a lot. I held her, played with her, and talked to her most of the day when I was at home. Even though I didn't breastfeed, we still developed a really close bond and I don't think we missed anything on that end. DH was with her most of the time when I pumped and I also tried to pump when she was napping as much as I could. As for the spills, I would use bigger bottles to pump into and try to stay upright when you pump. When I pull the pump off each boob, I pull it straight out so as not to tip it and lose milk out of the back. And as I pull it off with one hand, I use a burp rag to wipe off and not drip all over myself. If you're leaking in your bed, you may be letting yourself get too full before pumping. I leak a tiny bit, but not so much that it is messy beyond the breast pads. The only times I have ever leaked the point of a mess was when I let my boobs get much too full before pumping. Keeping a good schedule with your pump helps keep that at bay.

Also, DH and I have had an agreement with both babies that since I have to feed them (and even though you're pumping, you're producing the milk and pumping it out is really time consuming) that he would do the diapers. And he does all diapers when he is at home (unless I am feeling benevolent and choose to give him a break). This way, I don't get stuck with all of the crappy jobs.

Hope something in here helps. I EPed with Anna and it worked out great for me. I am trying to do a combo of both BFing and pumping this time. We'll see how it goes. You just have to do what works for you and what makes you and your baby happy.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

June 23rd, 2013, 08:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I shifted my pumps from every 2 hours to every 3. I'm producing enough so that's not an issue. But it makes my life so much easier. If you're producing enough for 2 feeds at each pump you can most likely shift to every 3 hours and get a bit of a break in there.
bobbiejo1982 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 23rd, 2013, 10:39 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Huge hugs! I don't have anything to add but hang in here Hun you are doing amazing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search