Tummy Time

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By eshute

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2013, 05:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
At our two week appointment, our pediatrician told us to start tummy time with Arthur. He HATES it! A lot of it probably stems from the fact that he can't go anywhere yet. He can rotate himself in a complete circle, but he can't move. Anyone else doing tummy time? Anyone's baby really like it? If so, what do you do to make them not scream during it?

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
June 23rd, 2013, 05:49 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haven't done it yet but I'm sure we will soon.

#1, 4, 5, 7
June 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't yet but I was just thinking today how it is probably time to start that. All my kids have hated it until they could really lift their head up and look around. Sorry, no advice, just sympathy cause I'm sure we will be right there with ya!

June 23rd, 2013, 06:19 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
She does tummy time on my chest while I am holding her and thats about all I will do. She will learn to lift her head and her muscles will strengthen naturally I see no need to force her on her belly to scream or fuss ect.
zkat and Gen88 like this.

June 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We also do chest tummy time until baby enjoys it. We did it that way with B1 and he had excellent neck control very early.
June 23rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yea its probably cause he doesn't have good head control yet. I agree to just do chest tummy time and periodically try him on the floor.

June 23rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Chest tummy time...why didn't I ever think of that! Genius! !

June 23rd, 2013, 08:32 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anna hated tummy time a lot. We just did it for short periods (like 30 secs to one mine) several times a day. I don't know why she hated it so much. She could lift her own head in the hospital. But we did it bc the pediatrician told us to. She hated it so much that she rolled over from her tummy to her back before she was even 4 weeks old just to end it. (Thank God we got that on video and there were a ton of eye witnesses bc that was crazy.) Lena also started lifting her head in the hospital. We have done tummy time with her on the floor once and she didn't like it, but she didn't seem to hate it any more than she hated being put down in general. We kept it up until she got really upset and then I ended it. I would do it daily if she was awake more, but all she does is eat and sleep.

June 23rd, 2013, 09:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yup, chest tummy time is the best for beginners. You can also do the colic hold but support his arms and legs with the other hand (so he has something to brace against to lift her head). Start out small with only a few minutes at a time but shoot for 10-15min a day. They may hate it but it's good for them.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 24th, 2013, 12:53 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just do chest tummy time, mainly because she doesn't like to be anywhere that isn't in my arms. Sigh.

June 24th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I've dont tummy time once on a blanket made for that but Leif did not like that at all. So we ended it and haven't tried again. Maybe later. But for the most part, it's chest tummy time.
June 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't tried it yet, but he spends a lot of time on my chest. I'm not really worried about his neck strength though, he lifted his head up and looked at me the first time they put him on my chest in the delivery room. He's very strong, and he loves lifting his head from my chest and looking around.

June 24th, 2013, 09:35 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
Anna hated tummy time a lot. We just did it for short periods (like 30 secs to one mine) several times a day. I don't know why she hated it so much. She could lift her own head in the hospital. But we did it bc the pediatrician told us to. She hated it so much that she rolled over from her tummy to her back before she was even 4 weeks old just to end it. (Thank God we got that on video and there were a ton of eye witnesses bc that was crazy.) Lena also started lifting her head in the hospital. We have done tummy time with her on the floor once and she didn't like it, but she didn't seem to hate it any more than she hated being put down in general. We kept it up until she got really upset and then I ended it. I would do it daily if she was awake more, but all she does is eat and sleep.
Haha this was my DD exactly! Held her head up from birth and rolled over at 4 weeks. My mom was there and trying to get her to do floor tummy time and bam she rolled over. We got it on camera also.

June 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Ditto the others ... he does tummy time on my chest. He's been lifting his head and looking around since day 1, but apparently the view from the floor isn't all that interesting
June 24th, 2013, 08:10 PM
We have done chest tummy time (didn't even think about this until reading the other posts). My son moves his neck like crazy, scares the crap out of me because he bends it back so much I worry it will break (I'm a new mom).
I tried the tummy time on the floor and he hates it, plus I am not really sure what I am supposed to expect from him or how long I am supposed to have him on the floor.
June 24th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, we do chest tummy time and he loves it, and he's been lifting his head since day 1. I'll just stop trying to force him onto the floor for now. He still gets frustrated on my chest. He acts like he's trying to scale me most of the time and then bangs his head on my chin. Tummy time is very active and violent, and usually involves tears (sometimes from me LOL)

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
June 24th, 2013, 11:30 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Honestly they will learn to lift their heads roll over ect eventually. Enjoy the time now, it goes way too fast!

June 25th, 2013, 04:46 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anna has been moving her head around like crazy since day one, lifting her head easily off my shoulder and chest. As long as she doesn't want something else, she enjoys tummy time. I've been trying to do it every day if possible, but she gets lots of chest tummy time (didn't even think to count this til reading the other posts). She'll lay content on her tummy while I sing to her or her daddy lays with her and has a long, boring conversation with her But if she's even remotely hungry or needs changed or has gas, tummy time is OUT.
beatlechicksteph likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search