formula feeding questions?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2013, 08:16 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
So the only way I could get Jocelyn home was to get her to take all her feeds by mouth for 2 days. She wouldn't nurse at all in the nicu so I was pumping and staying to give her all her bottles. When she came home, I just couldn't keep up with pumping and so I switched her to formula. It's been almost 3 weeks at home, switched formula twice, and still having problems with feeding. She has to be burped 2-3 times a feeding and I've had her vomit everything up 3 times now. I feel like this wouldn't be happening if I had stuck it out and kept pumping but it's too late now. I just don't know what to do now. Is there a special bottle I should try? We are using rtf similac sensitive formula. She cries all the time now and is a different baby.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
we use enfamil's gentlease, seems to help with the spit up
we try to burp after each ounce
we use the playtex ventair bottles

June 24th, 2013, 10:28 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you tried a hypo allegenic formula like Nutramigen or alimuten? B1 had a milk allergy and when I switched to formula at 10 months, it was the only brands he could tolerate.
June 24th, 2013, 02:02 PM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
the ventair are my favorite bottles also. we still burp every ounce or so also or he spits up

June 24th, 2013, 02:07 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Huge hugs Hun I wish I had advice.

June 24th, 2013, 06:19 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is a Similac for spit up, now. You could try that. My preemie was on Similac Neosure for her first 6 months and then we had to put her eventually on soy formula because she couldn't tolerate cow's milk formula. She had projectile vomiting after each feeding. It was terrible.

You may need to try Nutramigen or Alimentum formula. You could get in touch with WIC if you qualify to help with the cost because they are really expensive formulas. I think you just need a doctor's recommendation for those. They have the forms at the WIC clinics.

I hope you find something that works for her soon!

June 24th, 2013, 07:16 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also suggest the Playtex ventaire bottles with slow flow nipples.

June 25th, 2013, 06:52 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everyone else suggested what I was going to say...but I just wanted to add is there any way it could be reflux? The only reason I ask is my son had awful reflux and even switching him to all the expensive formulas did not help. He was very fussy and unhappy all the time. He would projectile vomit even after being burped excessively. It wasn't until we got him on meds that he got better.

June 25th, 2013, 03:51 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm still using Breastflow bottles for breastfed babies because I'm still trying to nurse as much as I can (I'm not getting much, if anything, but I gotta give it my best shot). The bottles allow the baby to control the formula intake like they would control suckling at the breast. We are using Gerber Good Start Gentle formula. Mostly because it happened to be what we got samples of. Anna only spits up a few times a day and it's small amounts. We try to burp her pretty often, though. At least once every ounce. I hope things get better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search