I may have turned into a hippie..

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By MarylandMama
  • 1 Post By MerinSun
  • 1 Post By sunnydaze

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2013, 12:58 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And it's all your fault! My family gave me a hard time when Anna was a baby, calling me a hippie for making her baby food and only letting her eat organic. I would say things like, "Talk to me when I start using cloth diapers," or "At least I don't keep my baby strapped to me." Well, Lena has been in cloth for almost a week and I bought my carrier on Sunday and have used it every day since. I don't think I really needed the carrier with Anna, but I definitely do now that I have the two of them. But I know that I never would have even researched CD, let alone taken the plunge, or ended up baby wearing without being influenced by you all. I still am more old school than most in my parenting style and how I deal with behaviors (that may have a lot to do with my profession), but I am definitely doing some things that I never would have considered before. You ladies totally changed my perspective on a lot. So thanks a bunch! (I hope no one took offense to any of this. I didn't mean any of it in an insulting way, at all. Before, I had just judged some things that I had no experience with and little knowledge of, and that was my bad.)

June 24th, 2013, 01:37 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Oh yes I got called a hippie when I started doing all of those things too, plus I bedshared with Abri. Welcome to the dark side!
June 24th, 2013, 01:56 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
You should have heard what came out of my mouth when I first came to the boards and heard of home birth. I had no idea women gave birth at home. Cloth diapers were gross, and my knowledge of baby wearing did not go past a snuggli or Bjorn. It's amazing what you can open yourself up to when you are among many different women. I am a complete hippy in my family, I was weird when I started CD, when they found out Everett was born at home I was trying to win a medal and risking my babies life. Now they just go with it. well most of them, I catch a lot of flack still for bed sharing and not spanking but in a passive aggressive way. They are better now though

June 24th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My family has been laughing at me for years. They're shocked every time they come over that we don't use paper towels except to clean glass.
navywifey2003 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 25th, 2013, 04:28 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a hippie too then but my family is too so they don't think it's weird. I would be considered weird if I didn't do these things. Well, my grandmother and dh's parents probably think I am weird but I have always been like this so they are used to it.

June 25th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would describe myself a very conservative in most ways. However, I definitely want to make Ellianna's baby food and have been looking at what machine to purchase. I have really tried to limit processed food for my kids lately - getting what just grows naturally. I am the only one in my family who breastfed - my sisters and mother found it gross (my mom is now coming around). I have also started Ellianna in just Burt Bee products which are supposed to be healthier for her skin. With returning to work in another 2 weeks and having my Mom watch Ellianna - cloth diapers is not even an option. I give kuddos to you though.

June 25th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am the only one in my family who breast fed. At first the other moms in my family were really catty about it, claiming I was only doing it to not get my period or so I could lose the weight and I was being selfish and vain. They considered breastfeeding to be gross and didn't understand why I didn't just go to WIC and get formula.

Then, they got over it and it became normal. Except for one aunt, who is still mortified by it and makes her 12 year old daughter and 16 year old son leave the room when I feed my daughter, even though I am discreet and keep covered.

THEN it was shocking when they opened my fridge and saw that I don't have ANY "heat and eat" food for the kids. Because they are SO much easier to just nuke and serve instead of actually make lunch.

Too bad.

My extended family (and myself) struggle with weight because we were raised with poor diets. I will not subject my kids to that.

I really wonder if they feel jealous.
Kim3 likes this.

June 25th, 2013, 10:48 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim3 View Post
I would describe myself a very conservative in most ways. However, I definitely want to make Ellianna's baby food and have been looking at what machine to purchase. I have really tried to limit processed food for my kids lately - getting what just grows naturally. I am the only one in my family who breastfed - my sisters and mother found it gross (my mom is now coming around). I have also started Ellianna in just Burt Bee products which are supposed to be healthier for her skin. With returning to work in another 2 weeks and having my Mom watch Ellianna - cloth diapers is not even an option. I give kuddos to you though.
I didn't buy any special machine for making baby food. I cooked foods down on the stove in a pot and poured them in a blender to puree. I have a Kitchenaid blender and it is AWESOME. A really awesome baby food book that I highly recommend is Baby Love by Chef Geoff Tracy and his wife. He has several restaurants in DC and the book not only has great recipes for different purees (and combinations) but it also has recipes for mom and dad and toddler recipes. Anna looooooves the cheese sauce for mac and cheese and we use the pancake recipe at least twice a month. Best pancakes I have ever had. It is not expensive, but a great investment.

June 25th, 2013, 01:39 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I was born in the wrong era, I'm a hippy through and through.
Cloth diaper, baby wearing, breast feeding, natural birth, I do not make baby food because we do baby led weaning. I extend nurse, tell baby weans. I hate bras, I stand up for womens right.

I get looks all the time, but you know what I'm ok with that.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search