quitting breastfeeding :-( feeling guilty

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003
  • 3 Post By Kim3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2013, 01:17 PM
First time mommy :)
I can't get my little guy to latch at all. So I have been pumping exclusively and it is just too much. I can't go for more than a few hours without being so full that I am in tears from the pain. It would be different if I could feed him from the breast and just pumped extra, but we just can't get the swing of things :-( I feel so disappointed and like I am letting him down by putting him on formula. I know it's not bad for him and that millions of babies are formula fed, but I was so looking forward to breastfeeding. I'm bummed.
June 26th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't feel bad, breast feeding is a lot of work and I've thought about quitting many times myself. As long as baby is fed and you and him are happy then it doesn't matter where the nutrition is coming from. At least you tried and sometimes breast feeding isn't for everyone. I do wanna encourage you to keep trying though. Have you talked to a lactation consultant? They can be very helpful. I hope everything works out for you don't beat yourself up, you're a good mommy.

June 26th, 2013, 01:55 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Huge hugs there is no reason to feel guilty. I ff two babies and they are both healthy and smart ect. With that said I regret it especially with my 2nd. But that doesn't mean that they is are any less loved than Everett or Payson.

Why won't he latch? Maybe we can help, but only if you want. I don't want you to feel like I'm pushing you to do something you don't want that's not my way.
Gen88 likes this.

June 26th, 2013, 02:13 PM
First time mommy :)
I think part of it is my nipples are super flat, I have a hard time getting him into a comfortable position because he is always so wiggly and when he's wiggling and I'm jostling him around he just starts fussing. If I finally do get my nipple in his mouth and get him stabilized he takes two sucks then spits it out and starts crying. I know it is me that is the problem. I just feel super clumsy when I am trying to get him on the boob.
June 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
have you tried the nipple shield? that is literally what kept me from quitting.
June 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Have you seen a LC? I have inverted nipples and when I had Alex I was shown a few ways to feed/push the nipple in his mouth. Also, rubbing thick lanolin on my nipples before trying a latch would stimulate them and draw them out. When I was in the hospital with Rowan and struggling the LC showed me the same techniques and I felt like an idiot, lol. I completely forgot how to do it. As the baby gets older you have to do less for them, so I was trying to latch Rowan on like I did Alex at 17months.

Don't feel guilty about quitting, though. Be thankful that you have access to a safe alternative.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

June 26th, 2013, 02:36 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
This page has tons of things to try, again only if you want. I know it's difficult.

Flat or Inverted NipplesBreastfeeding Basics

June 26th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say do not feel guilty. I breastfed the three of mine. However, when I returned to work my second would only accept a bottle with 1/2 bm and 1/2 formula. At first I felt guilty. Then I realized he had a full belly. I did what I needed to do. If breastfeeding works for you and your baby, then I am 100% behind it. However, if it is causing you lots of stress or pain, then it is not best for your and your baby. You need to do what is best for you and baby. Try not to feel guilty. You baby will be tiny for only such a short time - enjoy every moment without wasting any time on guilt.
rcjh12, Gen88 and Rissa6213 like this.

June 26th, 2013, 03:23 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't feel guilty. After today's marathon session, I envy FF moms.

If it is stressing you out, it's not worth it.
June 26th, 2013, 03:56 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Hugs !! I completely get it....don't beat yourself up! It can feel impossible at times. I would be lying to say it hasn't crossed my mind to quit. Hang in there and do what's best for you:-)

June 26th, 2013, 05:12 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I understand the frustration. I had a difficult time breast feeding Lily for several reasons so I ended up switching to formula. She is healthy and smart. Sometimes it is not worth your stress to keep struggling. Good luck with whatever you decide!
June 26th, 2013, 07:40 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, do whatever you decide is best and don't feel guilty. I just wanted to say though that when I had my daughter, she could not latch on, it would seriously take two or three people helping me to get her to. I had to go to the hospital to see the lactation consultant multiple times. I was tired, frustrated, and wanted to quit. I ended up pushing through and then suddenly it was the easiest thing in the world. I breastfed her until she was almost 24 months old and I am so glad I pushed through the hell in the beginning. It does get better, I swear to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide though. I do not have the nipple problem so that is probably making it 100xs harder. HUGS.

June 27th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Don't beat yourself up hon. With my first I gave up quickly since she wouldn't latch and FF her. With my second I was determined to figure it out and used the shields and after about 2 weeks she didn't need them anymore. You do what is best for you and your baby. Hugs hon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search