Thinking of giving up...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By loveneverfails
  • 1 Post By loveneverfails

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
breastfeeding

I love it. I really do.

but it kills me that I can't pump enough to feed enough to Corbin in bottles but he won't latch on for very long. He's now getting probably 3 or 4 oz of formula a day divided up between the bottles. It's become a huge battle. Then no one believes me that I'm giving him enough expressed milk. I give him 2 oz then he nurses and probably gets anywhere form .5 oz to 1 oz nursing and on top of that at some feedings I give him .5 to 1 oz of formula. He's not starving but my mom swears he is. He fights latching on most of the time. Two or three times a day he does amazing and has a great nursing session but not much more than that. To make matters worse at 3 weeks he's still just below his birth weight.

Its killing my supply for two.

Nolan on the other hand loves breastfeeding. He's gaining well. sleeps well. He really enjoys our feeding time.

It just kills me to have them split like this. I almost feel like it would just be better to switch them both to formula.
June 27th, 2013, 07:59 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Oh, I can't imagine how tough that must be. I'm pumping for John b/c he has never latched, but I only have the one to worry about! Would you consider donated breastmilk for supplementing? Depending on where you live it might be relatively easy to arrange.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 27th, 2013, 10:17 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Have you thought about using a supplemental system? You can add formula/pumped milk to it, then attach a tube to your nipple. So he can breastfeed and get the supplement at the same time.
June 27th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran
Listen to yourself and do what is best for you. If you switch to bottles, never look back.
June 27th, 2013, 01:33 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Hun you are doing great! I could not imagine how difficult it is to nurse twins. Just below his birth weight really is ok. He could just be a slow gainer. Everett only weighed 9lbs at 2 months and 6 months barely weighed in at 14lbs. Which is doubling his birth weight. But my kids are long and skinny.

At the end of the day you need to do what works for your family. I wish I had advice to help him latch better. Huge hugs hun, I know it is difficult.

June 30th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We might have found the cause...a milk intolerance. I'm cutting out dairy and we're supplementing with a new formula. He's already screaming less after feedings. We're hoping this helps him gain some weight and enjoy eating. We also ordered the Calma nipple so that he actually has to suck when he does get a bottle and it was like night and day. All of the sudden he was back to latching onto me and only takes the bottle when he needs it.

So maybe I can do this after all. Although giving up dairy is extremely hard. I live of milk and cheese.
June 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
I've been trying to cut back on dairy, also. Tristan has been extremely gassy and I've heard dairy can cause this, so thought it couldn't hurt to try. Have you tried the Almond Milk yet? You can barely tell the difference as far as consistency, and they have a vanilla flavor that is actually really good! I haven't been able to cut everything out yet, but I think I've cut by maybe half of what I was having in dairy over the last couple of days.
June 30th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Rochelle
Thinking good BFing thoughts for you. Glad you found out a possible cause. Do you like almond milk? I wonder if that's ok. D'oh! Just noticed what Laurenicole said. Ok, well I second that. I can go through a half gal of the vanilla or chocolate in a day esp if the kids help. It's like desert milk to me
June 30th, 2013, 10:36 AM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
We might have found the cause...a milk intolerance. I'm cutting out dairy and we're supplementing with a new formula. He's already screaming less after feedings. We're hoping this helps him gain some weight and enjoy eating. We also ordered the Calma nipple so that he actually has to suck when he does get a bottle and it was like night and day. All of the sudden he was back to latching onto me and only takes the bottle when he needs it.

So maybe I can do this after all. Although giving up dairy is extremely hard. I live of milk and cheese.
This!!! I was just going to suggest this. Madeline is three weeks old and still under birth weight but she does have dairy allergy that we just discovered. I have cut out all dairy. She seems happier although still very needy. She is eating a bit better and those green poos have stopped. We are working sooo hard! I can't imagine what you aregoing through with two!!! You are so awesome for even trying! Keep your head up and know that most likely with time it will get much better!

June 30th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I do like the almond milk. I had never tried it before Thursday. So far cheese and butter is what I miss the most but I'll do anything to keep this going at least for awhile.
overlinmommy17 likes this.
June 30th, 2013, 12:22 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is no substitute for cheese. Don't even try -they just aren't the same. Earth Balance has a dairy free vegan butter that is very good.

Our entire house is almost completely dairy free. Bourne had a milk allergy and I have gone dairy free as a preemptive with Bodhi, so feel free to ask for help.
June 30th, 2013, 01:10 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm glad you found a cause!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search