Reflux?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2013, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How do you know if your baby has reflux? Ellianna is a huge sputter, even though she gives hearty burps after nursing. Lets just say I use a burp blamket - those clothes are useless. She has been super fussy lately. She will sleep only on my chest. Screams when we walk into her nursery. Sleeps in crib for 10 minutes tops. Did a little better in carseat.

DS2 had reflux. The meds were awful (strong mint flavor). Anyone know a safe natural soother?

July 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
The constant screaming, arching her back after nursing, and projectile vomiting at every feeding were Abri's symptoms. Some babies are happy spitters and they eventually outgrow the puking. The screamers are the ones that are bothered by the acid content. The minty medication you used sounds like Zantac. Abri hated it, spit it out, and it didn't work anyway. We used Prevacid tablets that we had to dissolve in water and then give the solution by mouth. It had a strawberry flavor that she liked.

As for more natural remedies- breastmilk is generally best because it soothes their burning throat. I also found gripe water to be helpful. We gave her a dose after every feeding in addition to the daily dose of Prevacid
July 1st, 2013, 01:14 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kiefer had horrible reflux. Projectile vomiting to the point that he absolutely ruined the chair that I would nurse him in. He would arch his back and scream while I nursed him. Breast feeding was an awful battle because he was in so much pain and he wouldn't get latched on well. He was a generally happy baby as long as he wasnt laying down or eating. The vomiting itself never seemed to upset him, oddly enough.

We also tried the Zantac which is the minty medicine. It didn't work at all. Then they gave him the Prevacid tablets and he was a whole new baby after that. We HAD to try the Zantac first because our insurance wouldn't cover the Prevacid otherwise. Really ticked me off because the difference the meds made for Kiefer was like night and day.

July 1st, 2013, 02:09 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
we're doing the zantac route right now, they just called in the script five minutes ago
Emerson just wants to eat all the time, and when shes awake she is just miserable and crying, shes spitting up even after burping
we tried thickening her formula and that didnt work very much at all
i know with zantac we gave up with our son because he would just spit it out, though he wasn't constantly miserable just spitting up all the time

July 1st, 2013, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. She is exclusively bf so I cannot thicken her food. If she needs meds, I will inquire about Prevacid, as I hate giving the Zantac.

July 1st, 2013, 06:09 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
we just went out and got the gripe water
gave it to her and she immediately calmed down and stopped crying and passed out
i really dont want to do the zantac
i had such issues giving it to DS that I just gave up

July 1st, 2013, 06:17 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Prevacid was a lifesaver for Jocelyn. She projectile vomited and was uncomfortable all the time. Plus her spit up had an extremely sour smell to it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search