vent - UPDATE

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By TeresaV
  • 1 Post By MarylandMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2013, 05:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She is destroying my nipples. We fight over how she is going to latch, and sometimes I just give in. (I know, bad of me)

My nipples are red and cracked in some places. I've tried to switch to the pump for a few days, but that darn thing hurts too! She is going through a growth spurt too and always wants to be on the tit, which is making it even worse.

I have a fussy cranky baby. She is nothing like my easy quiet boys. When she is awake, she is angry. What in the world does she have to be so angry about anyway?

And maybe I have the baby blues setting in because she is always so fussy and always wants to be with me, I'm getting overwhelmed, I just want to get her off me. I know that sounds terrible!

I produce SO MUCH milk. Everytime she fusses, I just make more too. I could be feeding 3 babies with all this milk.

I mentioned to my husband once that I was considering switching to formula and he gave me the biggest guilt trip ever. Now everytime he feeds her a bottle of breast milk, he talks to her in front of me using the voice he reserves for babies only about how good mommy's milk is, and how she can feel the wrinkles in her brain forming and making her smarter and stronger and blah blah blah.

This is what I get for asking him to read books about babies back when Sebastian was born. Now he is the breast milk know-it-all.

He is laying it on real thick. I makes me feel like poop that I want to quit.

I'm hoping this rough patch will pass and I'm gonna buy a nipple shield and see if that helps. I enjoyed breastfeeding my boys. I really did. I never expected to have a problem this time around.

I hope I can make it through this long enough for my nipples to heal and her latch to work itself out. Cause I really don't want to quit. I really really don't.

UPDATE:

I saw the lactation consultant. I thought her tongue was just milk stained, but it turns out, we both have thrush. I am sad we both have thrush, but I'm also glad that it is something that can be fixed easily enough and I feel like this isn't hopeless anymore and we can fix this and get on with our breastfeeding. Hopefully this is the reason she is also so fussy and can go back to being a content happy baby.

Last edited by sunnydaze; July 5th, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
July 3rd, 2013, 06:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to send hugs> BF can be difficult. I hope lo gts the latch down really quick. Have you tried lanolin obn the nipples? Also /i have one breast that is really sore and I place the pump on the lowest setting to help.

July 3rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I could of wrote this about dd when she was born! She cried and was horriable pretty much anytime she was awake it was horriable and I was so nervous and had a hard time even getting excited about the new baby because of how much I went thru with dd! My nipples hurt so bad with her that I would dread to even nurse her ..what I done was took a squirt bottle of warm water and leaned over sink and ran warm water over my nipples for a min or 2 then use lasinoh cream before id nurse eachtime it seemed to relieve the pain a little I even used. Small ice packs on them too.. I know they say not to but if u r producing tons of milk I don't think it would hurt your supply! I never could pump because it'd just pull open the cracks in my nipples and make them bleed and hurt worse.. it took a month or better before my nipples were healed up.. she was my 3 rd nursing baby and never had I had nipple pain that bad! It will get better I promise! I know it seems it will never end but just hang in there mama!

Also the lasinoh gel pads are pretty good I used those too.. you can get themn@ drugstores or walmart they help sooth the burning pains with sore nipples!

July 3rd, 2013, 08:25 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Big hugs! 1). Tell your DH he can lay on the guilt trip when he produces enough milk to sustain her 2). If you think formula will make you guys happier, then go for it no reason to cry over boobies. I have a fairly easy nurser and seriously have thought about supplementing with the last growth spurt. It was brutal.

As far as repairing your nipples, try expressing some breast milk on them, letting them air dry and then load up on the nipple cream (before and after each feeding).
TeresaV likes this.
July 3rd, 2013, 08:39 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Have you seen a lactation consultant to help?
July 3rd, 2013, 08:47 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I agree that you might want to see an LC just to check the latch. Those gel pads are pretty good too.
July 3rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get your frustration. We're kind of in the same boat. DD seems to think that a shallow latch is better. I'll get her to open wide, shove a bunch of boob in there, and she'll adjust herself to a shallower latch. So frustrating. Then she gets off and starts screaming, then tries latching on again, but she's so frantic by that point that she's just bobbing her head around screaming. I've debated calling it quits, too, but I've hung in there so far. You can do it! If you do decide to go the formula route, don't beat yourself up over it. BFing is certainly not worth compromising your sanity.
sunnydaze likes this.

July 3rd, 2013, 04:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
I agree that you might want to see an LC just to check the latch. Those gel pads are pretty good too.
I have an LC stopping by on friday to weigh her. All the nurses at my pediatrician's office are also LCs.

I bought a nipple shield, It doesn't seem to work. She will suck on it, but I dont think she is getting any milk and my nipple isn't filling the whole thing? I don't know.

She seems to be a little less violent today towards my nipples, so hopefully this trend continues.

She even opened wider for a deeper latch all on her own today.

July 3rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to suggest Mustela Nursing Comfort Balm. It is a little pricier than lanolin, but so worth it. It is a nice cooling cream vs the thick lanolin. And you don't have to wash it off before nursing. Saved my life when I had cracked nipples from pumping for Anna. (The shields I had were too small and caused me to crack majorly.) I can't recommend this cream enough. Definitely give it a try.
sunnydaze likes this.

July 3rd, 2013, 08:06 PM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
my nipple doesn't fill the whole shield, either. I just assumed it wasn't supposed to. I hope things get easier for you. breastfeeding is hard work.
July 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenicole View Post
my nipple doesn't fill the whole shield, either. I just assumed it wasn't supposed to. I hope things get easier for you. breastfeeding is hard work.
Does the baby still get your milk even though your nipple doesn't fill it all the way?

July 5th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
A LC showed me to flatten nipple out and wait til baby's mouth is wide open and aggressively shove nipple into mouth. Almost shoving baby's head into my boob. It works! I wish you luck! I've thought about giving up as well but for opposite reason. I don't produce enough milk . Hang in there!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search