More Breastfeeding and Pumping questions

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Corbin is still going back and forth on issues. The milk protein issue is helping him not spit up and fuss as much but he still has a weaker latch which has been made 10x worse with him and myself being sick. Just when he was starting to get the hang of things we all go and get a cold

So I'm to the point now where I think I'm switching to EPing :/ Not my first choice but we've been trying it out today and honestly it seems to be working better. Corbin is happier. I'm happier because instead of trying to find a way to nurse two screaming babies in public I can just pump in the car and go. Corbin eats his bottle much faster than he nurses. Nolan is about the same. My problem is that now I'm back to supplementing because I can't pump enough at the moment. I'm starting fenugreek and I'm still letting them comfort nurse when they want in between feedings. I figure at the very least they are stimulating me and hopefully I will produce more. My supply took a hit when I caught this cold and I need to try and get it boosted back up.

Going off of what they have been nursing I think we're going to do feedings at Midnight, 2am (sometimes they skip this feeding), 4am, 7am, 9am, 11am 1pm, 3pm,5pm, 7pm, and 9pm. Does this sound right? So far today we have done 2.5 to 3oz per bottle. They have been eating everything.

I am planning on pumping at all feedings but maybe skipping one overnight one to get some rest since lately they have been skipping their 2am feeds but some nights they want it.

I hate to get to this point but with Corbin still going back and forth with latching/sucking issues I'm not sure what to do. For a few days there he had it going really well and then just stopped.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
July 4th, 2013, 09:08 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sounds about like my pumping schedule. I can get Tristan to latch but sometimes when he is cranky he won't even latch onto my good breast. And the other one I have to pump always anyway. And don't let anyone make you feel bad for pumping instead of fighting to BF. You will still be giving them both all the benefits of breast milk. EPing is a tough road as you gotta make sure to have something before they get hungry. And I also get about anywhere from 2 to 4 oz at a time pumping. So that is also normal. The time you will get the most is usually in the early morning....so the 1 am to5 am. Also make sure your drinking a glass of water for each time you pump. And oatmeal...the real kind not instant will help boost supply. Which if your like me and aaren't crazy about oatmeal by itself it does work if you make some oatmeal cookies!!

July 5th, 2013, 05:22 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I EPed with Anna and it worked out great for us. Pump really regularly for 20 mins at a time and that should help build your supply. To start, I pumped 10x per day for 20 mins each time and built up crazy supply. Another tip: get lots of ice packs for your coolers for pumping in the car. You will need multiple packs on hot summer days and sometimes, you will be rushing with babies and not get the last ones back in the freezer. It also helped me to get enough sets of pump stuff to only have to clean them once a day. And DH stepped up to do all the cleaning since I had to do all of the pumping. It is a real commitment to EP, but once you get into the habit of it, it really isn't a big deal. It also makes it easier for other to help out. My family LOVED getting to give her bottles. Good luck! Btw, you are totally awesome for being so committed to giving your TWO babies breast milk. It's tough enough with one. Go you!

July 6th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! We tried if for two days. Nolan was so unhappy. He cried and cried for me to nurse him anyway. So I eneded up pumping, bottle feeding and then still nursing Nolan. Now my new plan is to pump whenever I can for extra but my regular pumping times will be whenever I breastfeed Nolan. I just hooked up a single side while he fed off the other and then DH fed Corbin. We've done this for three feedings and it's worked well but I have NO IDEA how I will manage on my own come Monday. Corbin has also latched on after both of those feedings even after finishing his bottles so I'm not giving up completely on him yet.

Another question though. Now that I'm only pumping one side I'm only getting about an ounce each time. I'm ahead of Corbin by about 4 oz but I'm worried that won't last. Is this normal? Anything I can do try and boost my supply? I'm already taking fenugreek and pumping about 9 times a day
July 6th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I added milled flax seed to my diet and it was like my boobs exploded. I was also taking fenugreek and mother's milk. So maybe the combo did it.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 6th, 2013, 02:12 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sometimes I only get an ounce per side but other times when I eat really well and am real hydrated I can get about 3 oz a side per pumping. I also get more in the morning pumping than any other time of day except the last pumping before bed I usually get a lot then also. I have also found I get more if I am holding little man as I pump and I have also found if he starts fussing for being hungry while I am pumping its like GUSH!! I haven't tried the mothers milk tea or fenugreek but my DDB crawmommy recommended the oatmeal and that has worked well for me this time as with my DD I was lucky to get 2-4 oz total a day. And now I get that usually at each pumping. So you could try ALL of them and see if your supply boosts up. Also heard brewers yeast helps also.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search