Long morning

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By navywifey2003
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2013, 11:57 AM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
This lack of sleep is really wearing on me
Baby girl woke up around 12am to eat and refused to go back to sleep
She was crying and looked like she was trying to poop
Finally did, still wouldn't sleep, drove her around in my car at 130am and got her to sleep except she woke up five minutes after we got home, finally fell asleep around 2am after having more food
woke up at 4am and 7am
From 7am to 11am she was awake, miserable, crying, would almost fall asleep and than start fussing again
I feel like a zombie. She's finally asleep on the couch, so no napping there for mommy =(
I feel like the zantac is making her more miserable and the rice cereal they told me to add to her formula to help her feel full is making her poop super watery and uncomfortable
I am at my wits end and want to take her to see her ped but he's on vacation this week
*sigh*
maybe she'll sleep tonight

and she's awake again after sleeping for maybe an hour =(

July 5th, 2013, 12:57 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
It's possible the rice cereal is making her belly upset even more. Their guts just are not ready for it. Have you tried having her sleep on an incline? I wish I had some magical advice. Hang in there Hun.
zkat and sunnydaze like this.

July 5th, 2013, 01:07 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow uhm a newborns stomach is not designed to be eating anything except milk so the cereal is doing more harm than good. I would seriously laugh in a PEDs face if they told me to feed my newborn rice cereal. And then I would go find a new ped.
TeresaV likes this.

July 5th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My baby is one day older than yours, so we're just about at the same stage. I breastfeed, but Finn has been really fussy lately too...same thing, acting like he's trying really hard to poop, and sleeping really lightly, taking short naps. His fussiness is during the day - he sleeps ok at night - but every time I feed him lately, he's wiggly and keeps pulling himself off my breast and grunting...when he poops, he feels better and quiets down and falls asleep. But then of course I have to change his diaper, and that wakes him up again. Since he's breastfed, his poops are really wet, so it doesn't seem like they should be that difficult to get out that he should be grunting and straining. He has the normal amount of poops, and they look the way they're supposed to...it's just in between poops he's super fussy and gassy.

Anyways, not trying to thread-jack...just interesting that our babies are acting similar, even though one is on formula and one is breastfed. I read somewhere recently that a lot of babies go through a fussy phase starting at 3 weeks, peaking at 6-8 weeks, and ending by about 3 months. It's not necessarily because of something they're ingesting or anything wrong, it's just a phase. Since both our babies are 3 weeks old, I wonder if that's what's going on?

July 5th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sleep on the floor next to the couch. Somedays I can fall asleep standing up LOL

Could it be a growth spurt?

I do agree that the cereal could be making matters worse. I would cut it out and see if things improve.

July 5th, 2013, 02:08 PM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds exactly like my youngest son. The only thing that would calm him down was being swaddled. And that didn't even work all the time. But the 5 S's from Happiest Baby on the Block helped the most.

I also agree that the cereal is not appropriate at this age.

Good luck!!

July 5th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Well I stopped the cereal, it actually seemed to be making her stool more loose
I stopped the zantac as well because it seemed the longer she was taking the medicine the more fussy she got
Im starting to think (at least maybe hope) she has a milk allergy/sensitivity and switch her to soy but i hate just randomly doing that

good news is i got her back to sleep and got two hours of napping before having to pick up my three year old

July 5th, 2013, 03:17 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Hopefully cutting out the cereal will make her less uncomfortable. When I was dealing with reflux, our pedi said that the cereal in a bottle is just an old wives tale. If a baby has reflux and you thicken the formula/breastmilk there is a possibility of aspirating the thickened milk. If you continue to deal with the unhappiness, I'd ask for Prevacid instead of Zantac. It was like night and day for us. We also had a little cosleeper that had an incline which helped us. Reflux and lack of sleep was what started the bed sharing for us. It calmed Abri down enough that we could all get a little sleep
overlinmommy17 likes this.
July 5th, 2013, 04:07 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like maybe a combo of cereal making things worse and milk allergy. What formula are you using? There are different levels or milk allergy/sensitivity. We weaned at 10 months with Bourne and ended up on Nutramagen/Alimintum.

Hang in there. You will find the right combo that works. Just remember to give each change a couple weeks to work before you make another change (unless you see an immediate decline).

This is really the hardest part that unless you have been there with a baby, you don't get how hard it is.
July 5th, 2013, 08:32 PM
I'm really starting to think its a milk allergy
Her poop has improved cutting out the rice cereal
but she is fussy as all hell
she jams her legs straight out while feeding most of the time and her little fists are clenched and acts like shes trying to poop but doesn't
shes fine with laying down to sleep (unlike DS who just puked himself awake) she just startles herself awake
shes still congested, stuffy, sneezing after three weeks I would think it would go away
We have her on Gentleease, i'm strongly considering getting her something different because I can't go on much more like this

July 5th, 2013, 09:12 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Try switching to Similac first because it could be excess gas. My DD acted like that when she was on Enfamil. Down to the acting like she had to poo but not and the fussiness etc. Enfamil is really notorious for causing some babies to have excess gas and act like its a milk allergy. Once I switched then all was well

July 6th, 2013, 07:24 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are dealing with similar issues. DD fusses like crazy while she's eating...grunting, crying, wriggling around. I feel awful. Gripe Water helps mellow her out for a short while. I got some Mylicon drops last night. They helped her a bit after her first feeding, but didn't seem to help much after that. She sleeps for a couple of hours at a time at night, but she grunts and whines in her sleep, so I am not sleeping well and I can't imagine she is either.

July 6th, 2013, 08:03 AM
ok so now she's barely finishing a bottle and wanting to sleep all the time
still spitting up though
gotta be a growth spurt or something
i odnt remember ds being this difficult

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search